OT--Computer Problem Installing Software--

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

OT--Computer Problem Installing Software--

Post by SteveR »

This one has me stumped, when I try to install software from a CD I get these errors:

From Installshield Wizard: "An error occurred while launching the set up" "Library not registered"

I have been looking for fixes, I have the current Windows Installer v4.5, CD drive works, I have Admin rights, I think it may be a corrupted file in the Registry but I haven"t found anything yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT--Computer Problem Installing Software--

Post by David »

What software? Anything to do with IE?
Unfortunately this is one of the bad ones...
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

I'm trying to install a game by EA or Electronic Arts, Battlefield 1942. I had a previous version installed and played it on the computer that I am having problems with. I did try to reinstall the older version but same thing.

No, no IE problems, athough I did reinstall IE7 just to be sure, I did install XP service pack 3.

I can install newer versions of EA games, Battlefield 2, but my video card won't support the game. :(

I am worried when you say one of the bad ones...............

thanks,
Steve
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

It's one of them that's just a B...h

Did you remove the old one before you installed/upgraded the new one?

Delete (add/remove) the old/whatever parts are installed and try again clean.

If that doesn't work you then next thing to do is delete again and try the install in safe mode.
oldmax
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldmax »

I think it is telling you that the software is not registered with Microsoft

I think there is a way of bypassing the msg or overriding and installing anyway....
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I forget how to do it :oops: , but installing it with MSDOS will bypass some problems sometimes.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Sorry I am replying late, work gets in the way. :(

I did a clean uninstall quite a long time ago, and also did a regedit to remove anything left over.

I tried in safe mode, but same errors came up.

The InstallShield is v6, and I tried to reinstall Ikernal of InstallShield, but that gave the same error, so I I am thinking it may be with my registry, but I cant find any fixes for that. Other than reinstalling WinXP, which came preloaded on my PC, and of course I was not given the XP Pro installation disc.

I don't know how to use DOS to install software.

I have tried to install this software on my desk top, and it installs just fine, that is also using XP. So I know it is something with this machine, btw it is an IBM R40, laptop, with 1.9GHz processor, and 1.5gB Memory, 30GB hard drive.

Thanks,
Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT--Computer Problem Installing Software UPDATE

Post by SteveR »

Well I got it fixed, had to repair the OS, Win XP Pro. It may have been corrupted when I had a nasty spyware infestation.

If anybody does get these type errors, there is not much on the internet forums, but first try system restore. I have a program that came with my computer that I can "clone" everything OS, files, Ect on an exterenal 100gb hard drive. Then it is simple to run the backup and repair everything. If one has the OS on the CDs when they bought there machine, you can use the repair option on the CDs.

Anyway hope nobody else goes through this.

Steve
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

If you are installing a fairly recent piece of software, you frequently must log on with the company to receive a file or two that will activate the application.

With many software packages marketed within the last several years, your computer ID number is transmitted to the company. You register the product online, and you get a software key that unlocks the game. The software key is created by various encryption methods, combining your computer ID (unique to each computer) with other information. That key is then stored with the company's servers. And the key is embedded in more than one place on your computer.

If you removed one version of the program, you might have not completely removed the software key that was given to you. If you installed that old game somewhere else and activated it online, the company may have received the key, noted that it was installed on two different machines (by receiving the computer ID in the data stream).

Many EULA agreements allow you to install software on more than one machine that you own, like a desktop and notebook computer. But some don't. If your installation required you to go onto the Internet, or if you tried to play the game online, then it is possible that the company matched the same software key with two different computer ID's and locked out the program from one or both computers.

Either way, the best way to resolve this problem is to contact the company. I had some problems with my desktop computer and had to complete a project; so I moved the software to another computer by calling the company and explaining the problem. They issued me a new key to type in and I was running instantly. Apparently, there are two or more ways to create a software key, just like keying a building with different secondary keys (only certain tumblers are significant).

If this is a bit too much info: Just call the company and have your purchase info ready - date, price paid, original software key, and so on. If you did an online registration, they will still have that information; especially with gaming programs.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Hi John,

I tried to reinstall the original software, did the same thing, doubt it was a license issue. In fact I am sure it was a corrupted XP OS. I am soooo glad I do fairly recent back up of my whole computer,first time I had to use it though.

Thanks,
Steve
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I'm glad it worked out for you. +1 on backing up your system!