Marlin 1889 front sight idea

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Marlin 1889 front sight idea

Post by awp101 »

My 1889 carbine needs a new front sight since a previous owner filed it down to a nub. I ordered a replacement from Numrich a while back but they sent one for a rifle I guess since it doesn't have that "block" on the base and it sits too low to clear the barrel band.

Current sight:

What I'd like to do after seeing this on kimwcook's Sharps:

I'm wondering if this would be feasible or if it would look goofy due to the height of my front sight and that base it sits on. Would the length of the penny (or dime, etc) look odd hanging off the front and back and just sitting up there rather than sitting close to the barrel like in the above pic?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 1889 front sight idea

Post by J Miller »

Probably the easiest way to put a taller front sight on that carbine would be to file or mill the top of the square base flat. Then mill a slot in it and fit a new blade. Drill a hole through the base and the new blade for a retaining pin and viola, you're done.

What's normally used for a blade is a steel insert, but it's really up to you.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sure, I could do it that way...but that's the EASY way! :lol:

Actually, I was think of a Mercury head dime or somesuch just for the neato-keen factor.

No mill, etc but I can file it flat and use a small file or very carefully Dremel the slot.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

You do have to use an 1889 penny, not an 1899, for it to work, though...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If you get tired of playing around with the small change ;) , I've got a proper block front sight w/pinned blade that you can have.

I won't even "nickel & dime" you :mrgreen: - it's yours for the bubble. 8)

Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

J Miller wrote:Probably the easiest way to put a taller front sight on that carbine would be to file or mill the top of the square base flat. Then mill a slot in it and fit a new blade. Drill a hole through the base and the new blade for a retaining pin and viola, you're done.

What's normally used for a blade is a steel insert, but it's really up to you.

Joe

Be pretty correct that way too. They did them that way at the factory either before or after the one you have. I think yours is the second generation.
I had my smith square up the shoulders on mine with an end mill so its a post now.
If you want to use a coin just cut the slot to the bottom of the sight so its flush with the barrel for & aft. just me but I'd want a vertical face on the side facing me.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pete44ru wrote:If you get tired of playing around with the small change ;) , I've got a proper block front sight w/pinned blade that you can have.

I won't even "nickel & dime" you :mrgreen: - it's yours for the bubble. 8)
I see it's o-pun season again... :lol:

PM inbound! :mrgreen:
Leverdude wrote: They did them that way at the factory either before or after the one you have. I think yours is the second generation.
1894 production IIRC if that helps.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Yeah, yours is the later one.
I have a gun at me smith now with the same setup. The barels been sleeved & its a parts gun I put together. I want him to try & get the sight out. If you look close you can see its dovetailed in & dressed to look like it grew there. Its soldered but he thinks he can get it out. If he cant I'll have him cut it off just behind it & cut a dovetail for another sight.
I sure wouldn't recomend that if your guns original though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes those carbine sights were soldered and dovetailed into the barrel. If it was mine I'd set up a jig to hold the dremel tool that would allow it to travel back and forth to recut a slot in the original sight. Also be sure to put a lot of layers of tape on the adjoining barrel surfaces to protect them. Then when you're done put a new blade in it and secure it with clear epoxy. After that you can head to the range with a file and shoot it to see how much to file down.
I wouldn't use a coin as it might look odd, but also because when you file it down to hit at point of aim it will not be full round on the edge.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

marlinman93 wrote:Yes those carbine sights were soldered and dovetailed into the barrel. If it was mine I'd set up a jig to hold the dremel tool that would allow it to travel back and forth to recut a slot in the original sight. Also be sure to put a lot of layers of tape on the adjoining barrel surfaces to protect them. Then when you're done put a new blade in it and secure it with clear epoxy. After that you can head to the range with a file and shoot it to see how much to file down.
I wouldn't use a coin as it might look odd, but also because when you file it down to hit at point of aim it will not be full round on the edge.
I've had the sight out of the dovetail, that's how I figured out the replacement was too low... :lol:

My plan was/is to use the Brownell's sight calculator as a starting point and use a piece of poster board or somesuch that's just a little taller than the calculator calls for glued to the sight block. Once at the range I can cut the temporary sight until I get the sight in I want and once home, cut the coin and file the flat bottom side until I get the height I need so it stays round on top.

Of course if Pete has what I need, I just spent all that time working this idea up when I could have been thinking of something more useful (to my wife at least! :lol: )!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Leverdude wrote:Yeah, yours is the later one.
I have a gun at me smith now with the same setup. The barels been sleeved & its a parts gun I put together. I want him to try & get the sight out. If you look close you can see its dovetailed in & dressed to look like it grew there. Its soldered but he thinks he can get it out. If he cant I'll have him cut it off just behind it & cut a dovetail for another sight.
I sure wouldn't recomend that if your guns original though.
It's been reblued and the wood refinished at some point but I still don't think I could cut it... :mrgreen:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[it's yours for the bubble.]

And your snailmail addy. ;)