Marlin 1894 .44-40 takedown

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1894 .44-40 takedown

Post by Aussie Chris »

Was in my local gunshop the other day and was talking about takedown levers. The owner showed me an old Marlin 1894 takedown that he had out the back. It is a little beat up but it seems to be the orig blueing and wood. The only think is some dropkick has engraved their name on the side of the reciever abd also put their initials on the rear sight. Being a flat reciever I am sure it could be filed out.

It is a .44-40 takedown and the serial number is: 416172. I think it is circa 1894-1934. can anyone help me verify this?

I think I could get it for $700. What do you guys think?

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Marlin 1894 .44-40 takedown

Post by Sixgun »

Well Aussie, I checked this website and #355300 is the last number to be recorded and that was 1906. I'm guessing yours/potentially yours was made a year or two after that.

7 C-notes for a takedown '94? Not bad, but....... the mechanics need to be good and the bore has to be shootable. Without that, you have a junky wallhanger. Even with the "engraving", its not a bad price.

Let Marlinman chime in----I'm mostly a Winchester and Colt guy, but do indulge in the Marlins from time to time.---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thanks Sixgun :) The mechanism seems fine to me, just the take down latch seems a little loose allowing the fore end to move slightly.

The bore still does have alot of rifling, looks like it needs a clean though to really see if there is any pitting or rust.

The wood has a high gloss on it though so it looks like someone at sometime refinished it.

Cheers Sixgun

Chris
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Chris,
Looks like a diamond in the rough. :D Ain't nothin' to strip that glossy junk off the wood, steam it out a bit, then add the proper colored stain and a few coats of stock oil. Just be sure to leave a few dents and scratches on it, or it will look the same as putting a suit on a monkey! :oops:

Plug the barrel and let her soak up the Hoppe's #9 or other suitable solvent. Brush her 'till the cows come home and you will be in business!

Its really hard to hurt those guns and if you do find a problem with a part, its easy to find. Give me a hollar if you need contact info on parts, etc.

Winchesters have a few screws to take up the slack on takedown models. I only have one Marlin takedown and she's tight. If yours is loose, it would be a no-brainer to tight it up again. Just a little thought and a shim or a spot weld will make her tight.

Even if the bore is not great, it will still shoot good, but.......sometimes the crown is worn and a $30 crown job will put it in near new shooting condition! Good luck to you and the boys "Down Under"--------------------Sixgun

Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Calling Vall. 1886.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I'm pretty sure $700 Aussie dollars is a darn sight more than in Yankee greenbacks.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Thankyou sixgun. Your tempting me now... :D

Still for $700-$800, when do you see a takedown .44-40 Marlin these days, especially down here.

Isa thinking bout it boys :twisted:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I had a Marlin 1893 30-30 TD rifle for a while. It was a good looking rifle. It was loose a bit too. You might get sixgun to explain how to tighten it up. Mine would shoot loose after a few shots. Somebody had used a steel hammer to bang on the tapered latch to get it tighter each time and it left marks all around it. I have seen quite a few older Marlin TD with the same marks. I used a rubber mallet to tighten mine when shooting it from a bench and it worked fine but it got tiresome doing it so I traded it off for a 1894 Winchester SRC half mag. Good luck if you decide to purchase it. They are fine looking rifles and that one being a 44-40 it probably will not shoot loose as often.
"That'll Be The Day"
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Most of the dings around the takedown cam are from some bozos trying to take it apart. Bad thing is, it often messes up the serial number.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Aussie Chris wrote:
Still for $700-$800, when do you see a takedown .44-40 Marlin these days, especially down here.

Isa thinking bout it boys :twisted:
Chris, read my post on McNutJobs 1893 in 32-40. You are right, Takedown Marlins are not in every corner gunshop :D -----------Sixgun

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The serial number will put that 1894 at around 1912-13 era. A 1894 takedown (especially in .44-40!) will go much more than that around here! I'd jump all over it at $700! As you mentioned the name can be carefully draw filed out, if not too deep and since it doesn't have a lot of finish you can blend this in afterwards.-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Gday chris
Careful use of 400 600 wet or dry or even finer will take care of the drop kick 800 or finer as a finish may be better, remember you wanna polish, not remove too much metal. If the actions smooth and good go for it, the bore on most levers are pretty forgiving. Got an old 1892 44 WCF the bore looked as rough as guts when I bought it, but a light patch with
car polish run a number of times through the bore removed all the debris, it now shoots real good. Think I have gone off the subject. Buy and enjoy.
Regards
The Telegraphist
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Travis Morgan wrote:I'm pretty sure $700 Aussie dollars is a darn sight more than in Yankee greenbacks.
As of today, that is about $496 US dollars.

Sounds like a good deal!!!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

No kiddin? A few years back, I considered going over there to shoe horses, as I was told our money was darn near worthless over there.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1