OT: Two afternoons left...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: Two afternoons left...

Post by bigbore442001 »

The Massachusetts muzzleloading season will end New Years Eve at approximately 4:55 PM. If I do not get a deer by then, I will have to wait until next September 15th when the state of Connecticut opens it's archery season and the whole cycle begins again.

As it stands I have two afternoons to get a deer. I wanted to call in sick but there are some issues at work that need my attention. I wouldn't feel right and there would be some problems. If there weren't some of those problems I could take a day off and devote that time exclusively to getting a deer. But we're getting an inspection and our head counselor is in poor health. So I will be able to hunt today and tommorrow at 3:00 PM to the end of legal shooting light.

I dressed up in my office to save some time. I wore my green polar fleece pants and jacket along with the obligatory safety harness. Someone commented that I looked like an elf. So be it. The outfit keeps me warm in the chilly winter winds of New England. We have had some roller coaster weather. Sunday was above normal with temperatures in the low 60's and heavy winds. Monday cooled down into the 30's with west to northeast winds. As I type this I can hear the noticeable sound of tires on wet pavement. I peer into the darkness of the window and see a winter wonderland. We have about one inch of snow on the ground . Tonight we're expected to get another inch and tommorrow two to four altogether.

I drive to the gate of the club and fumble the secret four digit combination to enter the grounds. I drive down the muddy road to the pistol range where I egress the Ranger and head to my stand. I have a bit of a walk to what I call my third swamp stand. I have a stand close to the pistol range in a hemlock swamp where I took a nice doe last shotgun season. The deer like to skirt this swamp for the most part. This year due to the heavy rains in December the area is somewhat flooded. I believe the deer moved out and are now between what I call swamp stand #2 and where I was headed. Swamp stand #3 is on the edge of a rocky outcropping overlooking a low area. It is very thick and last year in the spring I found buck rubs and other sign. I suspect this is where they go when the pressure is on.

I walk down the old trail and then take a west turn to the area. I carefully climb the stick ladder and clip on the safety belt. I check my muzzleloader. I know some will see it as heresy but I have my reliable TC Black Diamond 50 caliber inline. I put a 209 shotshell primer in the nipple and waited. The wind would blow from the west and shudder the tree a bit. I am in a nice hemlock overlooking the low spot and well concealed in spite of the hunter orange gear. I remarked to myself that the woods seemed to be somewhat dead. I heard some birds but that was about it. I breathed the cool winter air deeply into my lungs to refresh body and soul as I stood. The deer stand is a time of reflection. I sat thinking about life in general and sooner that expected legal shooting light was fading. I checked my watch. Hmm. Time to descend and head back to the truck. I head back through the woods with the wind in my face right now. It makes me a bit teary eyed but I am still able to negotiate the lowbush blueberries and scrub oak. I walk down the old logging road. As I approach the area near swamp stand #2 something made me look forward. I heard a crash and spotted a flag running towards my swamp stand #2. I saw the outline of the flag and I thought as I watched there may have been a second deer. It was hard to tell as it was 5:05 PM . Ten minutes after legal shooting light. I proceeded further and made the mental note to jot down in my hunting journal.

I get to the truck after a few more minutes and then drive home. As I drive I am thinking about hunting this evening in that swamp stand #2. That deer may be coming through that spot. It seems that the deer are now reverting back to some of their early archery season behaviors. If I don't see anything I will just sit on the ground against a large tree between swamp stand # and #3. Maybe I will get some venison by New Years Day. Who knows.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: OT: Two afternoons left...

Post by gamekeeper »

Good post! I almost thought I was there with you :) I hope you get your deer next time.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Excellent post. thanks. I enjoyed the experience
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

rjohns94 wrote:Excellent post. thanks. I enjoyed the experience
+1
Old Law Dawg
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

rjohns94 wrote:Excellent post. thanks. I enjoyed the experience
+2
ED
Yer never too old
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

game keeper wrote:Good post! I almost thought I was there with you :) I hope you get your deer next time.
+1 to that. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog