Marlin 93 and Marlin 1894

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Marlin 93 and Marlin 1894

Post by vintageautomobilia »

I recently bought two interesting Marlins:

1. Marlin Model 93 Carbine, 3-digit serial #924, in .32 Special with factory sling swivels.
I don't know what is normal on these, but this one has a full magazine and no saddle ring. Also, can anyone tell me what year this gun was produced?

2. Marlin Model 1894 Rifle, serial #196282, in 25-20 Winchester with a factory 1/2 octagon and 1/2 round barrel. I'm guessing this is a fairly unusual barrel configuration? Any thoughts?

Peter
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Marlin 93 and Marlin 1894

Post by J Miller »

Peter,

I'm not really into old Marlins, ( only cos I never find them for sale when I have funds available ) but our home pages has a section called Marlin Resources. Here's the link:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/Marli ... mation.htm

There is a section for dating these old rifle there.
You might research them there until Marlinman93 sees your thread. He's our Marlin professor.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The first one will date to post WWI, but need more info to pin it down. Complete rollstamp on the barrel, where the serial number is located, if it has a star on the top tang, an finally if it has the bullseye. I'd also like to see the sling swivels, as they would be unusual for a Marlin, but even more so for a post WWI Marlin, as they usually didn't have that feature. Is it a carbine for sure, or short rifle?
The 1894 is easier, as the serial number dates it to around 1900. The half octagons were all special order, and not seen as often on a 1894 as it would be on a 1893. Is it striaght grip, or pistol gripped?-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Joe,
Thanks for your response and your helpful info!

Vall,
Thank you for your response also, and your help. The 93 is a carbine I'm sure with a butt somewhat between a crescent butt and a shotgun butt. The roll stamp on the barrel reads MARLIN FIREARMS CORPORATION on one line, and the line below reads, NEW HAVEN, CONNECTICUT, U.S.A. PATENTED. There is a small star on the top tang and behind that it says MARLIN on one line and below that it says MODEL 93. The serial number is on the lower tang, under the lever. I don't see a bullseye.

On the 1894, the stock has a straight grip.

Peter
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I would have to dig out my Brophy on the Marlin's. Don't ever be surprised at what you might find in a 93/94. The were offered from the factory with a wonderfull list of options. My 32-40 was a 26" barreled rifle with smokless steel barrel, a Lyman peep, a S buttplate ( 1/2 way between a carbine and a rifle) and the sights were a silver blade/ bead with a step elevator flat top rather than the buckhorn. The whole gun was ordered from the factory by a friends grandfather in the early 1900's. Currently I am rebuilding a 25-20 M 94 with a 22" factory barrel. The gun is configured as a short rifle and has not been cut.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The "star" marked 93 mMarlins will always date to post 1923, when that stamp was first introduced. The bullseye in the stock began that year too, but when the depression of 1929 hit Marlin dropped the bullseye to save money. It did not reappear until after WWII. Marlin also used up most of the "corporation" marked barrels by the early 1930's, so that helps date your gun. "
With the info you've given I would put your gun in the 1929-early 1930's range.-Vall
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Thanks Vall.
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Vall, some further info: My Marlin 93 carbine has the "S" butt plate and Rocky Mountain rear sight. The sling swivels look stock to me and fit perfectly.

Were the Star stamp and the Bullseye introduced at exactly the same time or was there a gap between the two? What is significance of my 3-digit serial number (#924)? Did Marlin go back and start the serial numbers at "1" at some point?

Peter
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The star and bullseye marks started within a year of each other. The star began first, then the bullseye. The S type buttplate and rocky mountain type sights were both items used on 1920's and 30's carbines, as was the lack of saddlering. The serial numbers were restarted in the 1920's when the Corporation first started in business. Not sure if they started at 001 or not, but I have seen two digit numbers, so they did start under 100.
vintageautomobilia
Levergunner

Vall,

Thanks for all your time and answers!

Is it possible that my model 93 carbine (#924) was made circa 1923 after Marlin introduced the star, but before the bullseye? That might explain the Corporation roll stamp on the barrel, the low serial number, and the star with no bullseye.

Peter
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, it would definitely be the early 1920's.-Vall