OT - What would you do??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

OT - What would you do??

Post by rjohns94 »

I was out hunting today for tree rats and I came upon a situation that I would like to hear your opinion on.

In Pa, we are inbetween deer seasons. The late flintlock primitive season opens on the 26th and runs for a couple of weeks. As I was slow hunting along a creek bottom, I saw a doe deep in a thicket on high alert. I was busted, being about 10 yards from her, and as she STRUGGLED to get out of her bed, I saw her left rear leg was shattered and she was unable use it as she got up and looked over her shoulder. I said to myself that this deer was suffering and certainly won't make it through the winter. I was hunting with a 12 bore hammer shotgun from 1897 and I was carrying a pistol capable of shooting the deer. With her obviously suffering, I drew my pistol, taking aim behind her shoulder and ........

WHAT WOULD YOU DO:

Let her go, suffering as she was to perhaps hunt her during the BP season, allowing her to suffer for at least 4 more days.

Shoot her and put her out of her pain, even though she was not "legal" to shoot.

If you shoot her, do you call the game warden and tell them what you did, do you tag her and count her as one of your deer, Do you not tag her and take her home, donate her, or leave her?

Contact Game Officials to have them "attempt" to put her down, if they could find her, and if they had the inclination to do so.

What would you do??? I'll post later the end of the story
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Joe Reilly
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joe Reilly »

Coyotes will eat good tonight. I would not report it.
NRA Benefactor Member

My mind is like a steel trap,
rusty and illegal in 37 states.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I'd shoot the deer. The question is then what to do?

You might go find a warden and keep the conversation between you and him. In other words don't go telling the dispatcher why you need him if you must go that route but I would think that if you talked to him one on one and offered to donate the meat to a shelter somewhere you might be in the clear. It would be his call as long as you didn't FORCE him to MAKE a call in front of someone else. He might even deliver the meat for you to keep things honest.

What happens to road kill in your area?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Joe Reilly wrote:Coyotes will eat good tonight. I would not report it.
+1
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

I'd have put her down and kept on walking. It's the humane thing to do and since you weren't taking her for personal benefit in keeping with the hunting regulation I'd simply not mention it to anyone else.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

The letter of the law always views things in BLACK and WHITE. Despite your motive, you could be charged for Killing a Deer out of Season and possibly shooting a deer and not tagging it. He could also accuse you of being the individual that shattered the deers leg in the first place. I have seen others make judgement calls like this and what seems like what may be right at the time is CONDEMNED by others later.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What deer? I didn`t see no deer!
If you did do it,Thanks. You are a good guy. I hate to see any animal suffer. That is why I dont bow hunt any more. Nothing against bow hunters, just dont like the feeling it gives me when I am/was doing it.It should be quick and clean. :wink:
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I would put her down and keep walking. Doug
a armed man is his own master
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I'd shoot her and leave the carcass for the varmints. They get to eat, too.

A couple of years ago, my son put down a buck deer that had been arrowed in the top of the back with a broadhead. He was moving very slowly and about 20 yds away when he looked straight at Clayton right before the shot. I'm sure he was in pain and it was a relief to finish it. The wound stank to high heaven and we could not get anywhere close without handkerchiefs over our noses so we didn't even try to cut him open but hauled it off to where the coyotes and buzzards would clean up the mess.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Shoot the poor thing, say a quick prayer to the Creator,
police your brass, and keep on going.

Many wardens would write ya up. You don't need the hassle.
You and I know you did the RIGHT thing. Maybe not legal,
but the law is an a** many times.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

In the Andy Griffith days of law enforcement, you would be thanked by the authorities for putting her down. Unfortunately the Andy Griffith days are over. I'd say you probably have a 25% chance of getting an Andy Griffith type....75% of getting a Barney Fife....

Shoot and walk on...

Ed
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I'd of shot it and moved on, it's what is right, and nobody needs to know. In fact, we don't need to know.

I wouldn't want to eat it in that condition either.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike

I put up nearly the same post about a year ago on the old site.
I was out dirtbiking in NW PA and came across a doe with a shattered front leg. I wanted to put her down but had nothing more than a Swiss army knife with me. It was getting dark and I knew by the time I got back to my cabin and back she'd be long gone even if I could find her again. I was pretty deep into an unfamiliar area.

I did go back out the next morning w/ my .41 S&W with the intention of putting her down. She was obvioulsy in pain and starving. Pretty sure I found the right spot but she was gone.

To my suprise I got blasted by a couple guys for not going back out and putting her down.

Seriously doubt i would have found her in the dark. Now i don't ride without a shooter and a GPS. Just for that reason.

Very glad you were able to do what should be done.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I would probably call before doing anything. The people that I call would probably say "shoot it, leave it." That would work for me, it don't need to stay miserable.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Keep on walking.

:?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

SSS...without the shovel. In this PC day and age, no good deed goes unpunished.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The only right thing to do is the "humane" thing. The "letter of the law" has nothing to do with the situation, most enforcement types I know, fully understand difference between the letter and the spirit. As you didn't INTEND to break the law if you'd drop it and leave it where it lay. However, taking it, whether you tagg it or not would not be viewed as magnaminiously. Nature will recover that which is hers in such a fashion as she deems fit.

Faced a similar quandry when hunting; came across three scrawny legal bucks. And I mean scrawny! Ribs showing, hollows in the hips, plainly wasting away. To kill or not to kill? That day I elected to let nature take her course. Another day and I might have made another decision.

I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn last nite! :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I think my conscience would dictate that I put her down and keep walking never speaking of the matter. Sometimes it seems doing the right thing can get one into a mess with the "authorities." 1886.
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Put her down. Say a prayer and move on.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
danthegunman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by danthegunman »

Put her out of her misery....then move on.

Dan
That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin
Call Before You Shoot!

http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if you have a cell phone call the wildlife officer
and let them know who you are and the situation
they may give you permission to take her and put her out of her misery.
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

Shoot Walk Shut up. I suppose IF you were in an area that had cell reception then I might call a the warden and see what they want done. Otherwise SWS.
Molon Labe
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

danthegunman wrote:Put her out of her misery....then move on.

Dan
big +1
DAV life member.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

+1 put her down anyone how objeckts is clerey not of sound minde and not worth listing too
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

the rest of the story

Post by rjohns94 »

148 grain +P Lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Points are effective deer cartridges at 10 yards. She fell back into the thickets she struggled out of. This also validates the load for self defense. Shot behind the near shoulder to the opposite shoulder, and shot her once more when I got over her. No calls were made. I also tore up one of my doe tags.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
danthegunman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by danthegunman »

Way to go, rjohns94
That which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Dan Printz/Gunsmithing
The Firing Pin
Call Before You Shoot!

http://www.danthegunman.com
dan@danthegunman.com
Semper Fi
John14:6 <((><
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

After putting her down, please remove the lead slug if any condors are watching, thank you!
Ray in California
otteray
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Show mercy, and leave it lie!!!! ARt
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Laws of Physics cannot be disobeyed.
Laws of God must not be disobeyed.
Laws of Man are matters of choice.

The first two determine that you need to kill the deer, and determine the best way(s) to do so quickly and humanely with what tools are available.

The third merely gives you a choice as to how much paperwork or risk of arrest you are willing to engage in.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I was hunting the Cactus Ranch last year, had been in a tree where I nailed a board to sit on and was watching a 25 acre field of wheat full of deer about 2 hours looking for the fattest doe. I finally picked her out with about 30 minutes of shooting time left when a 2.5 year old buck came hobbling out of the tree line with a shattered front leg (bone protruding). He was hopping around feeding and was directly in the sun. Up to that point I was having a beautiful day and watching him hop around put a quick end to that. I wanted that fat doe bad, but that was not an option. I waited till Hoppy got just out of the sun and dispatched him at 90 yards. Of course the others ran like hell.
Dragged him to the fence line. His front foot was locked backwards at the ankle. Drive home - no meat till next trip.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:Laws of Physics cannot be disobeyed.
Laws of God must not be disobeyed.
Laws of Man are matters of choice.

The first two determine that you need to kill the deer, and determine the best way(s) to do so quickly and humanely with what tools are available.

The third merely gives you a choice as to how much paperwork or risk of arrest you are willing to engage in.
+1. You did the right thing Mike. We are stewards of this earth, and should always show mercy to the creatures God has given us for our use. Never let the law prevent you from doing what is right. That said, there is no point in subjecting yourself to a pinhead bureaucrat who wasn't there when you made the right decision.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

You did the right thing. I cann't bear to see critters suffer if I have the means to end it. I wouldnt have let to much go to waste though.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Buzzards gotta eat..plus if you leave her there you'll know where to find some coyotes after deer season :D ...
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Thanks

Post by rjohns94 »

I didn't have to think about what was right, had a problem with leaving her but there was no way to get her out without drawing attention and by so doing, my motives would have been called into question. In South central PA, we have few coyotes but the foxes and other opportunist will have a good start on the winter.
Mike Johnson,

Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Sometimes the principle of a situation is much higher than "the law". To me and my God, it's a higher crime to allow an animal to suffer, than it is to shoot one out of season. In this case, I would shoot her and walk on.

Humbly,
bogie
gregg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gregg »

I have to shoot deer that been hit by cars once in the blue moons driving to work. Just shoot and drag off road and shut up. Why put the officer in the rock and hard place. I seen it back fire on people so why go there. Your doing the right thing not robing a bank.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

gregg wrote:. Your doing the right thing not robing a bank.
It's sometimes amazing how many people don't see it that way.