New to the Marlin 336 - Accuracy Questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jupiterjoe
Levergunner

New to the Marlin 336 - Accuracy Questions

Post by jupiterjoe »

What a great site!

I decided to purchase a 1978 Marlin 336 from the local store today. It was in very, very good condition with no rust or marks on the wood, and it really didn't show much evidence of ever having been fired, though I'm sure it's had rounds through the barrel...

I gave it a cleaning / lube job and tightened up the screw that attached the lever, but other than that, nothing else... I took it to the local range and fired 20 rounds through it (Federal off the shelf, I think 170 gn) starting at 50 feet, then 100, 200, and 300 feet. Iron sights. Windage was pretty good initially, but the rifle was shooting about 3 inches high at 300 feet. I figured that was okay to give me close to dead on at 200 yards.

I then switched over to the LeveRevolution cartridge for a few rounds at 100 yards. Of course, the rounds impacted much higher, which I expected, but now they were sprayed wide left and right... Very wide. I could not resolve this pattern as the rounds were so far off compared to the point of aim.

Given the iron sights and the distance and the fact that I was on my elbows on the bench and not a rest, I cannot rule out my hold, my trigger work, breath control, eyesight, etc., but I was very surprised at how much my groups opened up. I regularly shoot my AR from the exact same position and can get ~3" groups at 100 yards (iron sights), so I know I can do much better than my results...

I decided to pack it up for the day and seek some help and guidance. My thoughts are that some of my problem revolves around the barrel heating up, plus my inconsistent shooting position, but I'm wondering if there aren't a few user adjustments I can make to improve accuracy. I'll need that taken care of before I dare take this weapon out into the field. PS I want to stick with iron sights. One day I may go to a scope, but for now I work within 150 yards and prefer the sight picture and overall feel / feedback I get from the iron sights. I also enjoy the challenge...

Thanks in advance!!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New to the Marlin 336 - Accuracy Questions

Post by TedH »

The first thing I would do, would be to shoot it again from a solid sandbag or mechanical rest to eliminate as much of the human factor as possible.
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

By the way, welcome to the forum. :D

You might also want to temporarily mount a scope to allow for more precise aim till you see what the rifle is capable of.
NRA Life Member
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

your rifle i think has the micro groove bbl witch the leverevelution bullets were not designed for.
jupiterjoe
Levergunner

Post by jupiterjoe »

Hi Ted...

I agree... I'm going to try to get over there again tomorrow and do just that. I'm not sure my rings will fit this rifle, but I'll at least get it in a rest. Still, we're talking about 12-18" left and right at 100 yards. It seems like there is something occurring besides just a poor rest. The more I read the more it seems reasonable that the barrel is heating and flexing against the magazine, though I'm not sure that is all...

Thanks for the suggestions!
jupiterjoe
Levergunner

Post by jupiterjoe »

bbleverfan wrote:your rifle i think has the micro groove bbl witch the leverevelution bullets were not designed for.
Hmmm... This may be a major factor. It does have that barrel... What twist is LeveRevolution looking for? I didn't come across that info when researching it as a quality cartridge. I guess I should also take a look at some 150-170gn options. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

1:20 i think
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I would try it again with a good sandbag rest. Clean the barrel first and try again. I dont own a Marlin .30-30 with MG rifling but do have several with Ballard rifling and all shoot the LE ammo well but as you said about 6" higher at 100yd. All reports I have read say that LE ammo does fine in MG rifles. :D
bbleverfan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by bbleverfan »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I would try it again with a good sandbag rest. Clean the barrel first and try again. I dont own a Marlin .30-30 with MG rifling but do have several with Ballard rifling and all shoot the LE ammo well but as you said about 6" higher at 100yd. All reports I have read say that LE ammo does fine in MG rifles. :D
ok
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Jupiterjoe,
Take 20 rounds of each type of ammo, and shoot 8 five shot groups alternating ammo type for each group. Wait 15 mins between each group.
That should answer all of your questions.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I doubt the microgroove rifling has anything to do with it. I have had microgrooved Marlin 30-30 and 35 rifles that shot the LE ammo very well. There is something else going on here.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Marlin's website shows the 336's still come with microgroove barrels and a 1 in 10" twist.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Every gun has its own personality...
and your just gonna have to find the ammo it likes...
you might want to start reloading...
Have fun shoot'n your new toy...and welcome!
Oh..by the way...
Its mandatory that all range reports include pictures
of your new toys! :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

TedH wrote:The first thing I would do, would be to shoot it again from a solid sandbag or mechanical rest to eliminate as much of the human factor as possible.

+1
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Get a solid rest and take yourself out of the equation as much as you can. That is probably what the problem is, but the rilfe may not like that load. My model 94 doesn't like 170 gr. Core Lokts, factory or reloads. Can't get much of a group at 50 yards. Hornady and Speer 150s on the other hand, I've gotten some really nice groups out of.

~Michael
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Second the good rest. I have a Marlin MG 35rem that just loves the LE ammo.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum. What about he trouble that 86er had with the Lever ammo? isn't there a recall on some of it?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

LeverEvolution shot fine in my micro groove. Your rifle will perform better with some ammuniton over others. Use what works best with it to find out how well it/you can shoot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I wouldn't get stuck on any certain type of ammo, or bullet weight, until I tried a number of them. If you don't relaod, then buy several boxes of different brands, weights, etc. and figure out what your particular gun likes. Then stick with that one type of ammo.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/