T/C Contender Carbine Mule Deer Buck

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

T/C Contender Carbine Mule Deer Buck

Post by Camp Cook »

T/C Contender Carbine Chambered in 308Bellm Mule Deer Buck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Mr Cowboy Tutt, I thought I would share my latest adventure with you, I also on an earlier trip in Sept shot a 2 point mule deer buck with my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 with 350gr Swift A-Frames @ app 2000fps (sorry no pic) and still carrying the Marlin I passed up on an immature bull moose (2 point both sides) figured it was to much work for only me and with my wife being a vegetarian I didn't/don't need the meat...

While I was out prospecting/working I spotted this 4 point mule deer buck right at dusk Thursday evening Nov 27/08 using my laser range finder I saw it was 650 yards away it was to late to do a stalk so I decided to go back the next (Friday) morning.

I was dressed in my white polar fleece coveralls, white hat and gloves as I left my truck @ 7:10am and after a gruelling 50 yard hike I spotted him off to my right he had been off to my left the night before and I was being pretty intense on looking left and planning a stock/hunt in that direction when I saw huge deer tracks on my tire tracks that I had left in the snow the night before.

I did a stalk to within 210 yards and aimed dead center of his chest as he was facing me he was looking right at me but was on a slight angle to the right due to being all in white I don't think he saw me at all.

I was using my stainless steel single shot T/C Contender carbine with a Leupold Vari X 111 2.5 - 8X scope due to the snow I had taped it up with white camo tape, the rifle is chambered in a Mike Bellm wildcat (from what I understand Mike studied under P.O. Ackley) called a 308 Bellm which are 444 Marlin brass necked down with 308 Win dies I load up with 150gr Rem bulk Core Lok bullets @ 2600fps muzzle velocity from a 21" barrel.

The bullet entered his chest about an inch off center took out both lungs and went thru the liver it exited the right side chest hitting the right leg that must have been back abit shattering the main leg bone the deer dropped 50 yards max later.

Here are a couple of pictures, behind me and to the left of my right elbow you can see a small tree on the sky line the deer had been stand looking towards me 1/2 way between my elbow and that tree along the sky line all I could see of him was his chest and up his legs were down behind the hill.

He ran behind the hill so in the top picture I have already dragged him about 200 yards and I still had another 300 yards of dragging to go.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: T/C Contender Carbine Mule Deer Buck

Post by Pete44ru »

I've bought, then sold more than a few Contender pistols - but really like the Contender Carbine, having had one made in the T/C Custom Shop in .375 Win & blued/walnut.

Thet deer looks big enough, that U shoulda rode him out, B 4 U shot him ! ;)

Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Congratulations! That is one nice buck!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Good shot, nice buck!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Wow! Very nice buck! Too bad you had to work so hard on that stalk! :)

Great pics - thanks for sharing this. Congrats!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Very nice muley! Good job!
Old Law Dawg
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

.308 cal bullet through the lungs will do it every time!!
Nice buck!! 8)
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Darn neat.

I'm another who thinks the Contender comes into its own as a carbine and not so much as a pistol. I've got 19 carbine barrels... :oops: :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Thanks for the thoughts...

CC
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice one, congratulations :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very Nice. I had a carbine in .375 H&H and I regret not having it anymore.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Nice buck !!

"called a 308 Bellm which are 444 Marlin brass necked down with 308 Win dies"

Sounds alot like my (a) 309 JDJ.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Camp Cook
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Camp Cook »

Bullard4075 wrote:"called a 308 Bellm which are 444 Marlin brass necked down with 308 Win dies"

Sounds alot like my (a) 309 JDJ.
Yes and no...

Your 309JDJ takes specialty dies and the case capacity is higher than the 308Bellm.

I can't remember the velocity difference but it isn't much more than 100fps difference.

I went with the 308Bellm due to the overall performance does not push my stainless steel early designed Contender frame to the limits and the cheaper more readily available 308Win dies.

If I had the 309JDJ I would push it to the limits... :D

Both are excellent rounds for the Contender.