O. T. Venison recipes wanted!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

O. T. Venison recipes wanted!

Post by nemhed »

Since I do most of the cooking in this house and I have a lot of venison in the freezer, with the prospect of getting more, I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas. Here's one of my favorites that I just e-mailed to a friend and I thought I would share it here. I can't stress this enough, DO NOT USE MEAT TENDERIZER IN THIS RECIPE! Others have tried and failed!

Homemade Salami

2 lbs ground meat (can be mix of beef, venison or pork sausage)
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. onion salt
1 Tbs. liquid smoke
1 Tbs. mustard seed
Pepper to taste
3 Tbs. Morton's Tender-Quick salt (not meat tenderizer)

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Form into two long rolls (approximately 2 1/2 -3 inches in diameter). Wrap in foil and refrigerate for 24 hours. Poke several holes in foil prior to baking. Place rolls on the rack of broiler pan with 2 inches of water in pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 90 minutes.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: O. T. Venison recipes wanted!

Post by JerryB »

That sounds good I may try it with some of mine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

We cut our own meat so we always do steaks, roasts, jerky meat and hamburger. When we are feeling like bite size steaks we get a package of steak or roast out and cut them in to 1/2" or so thick, by whatever you feel like at the time.

Sprinkle the meat on sides, each with garlic powder, Lawry's Season Salt, and pepper. Give it a few minutes to allow the seasoning to sink in. Then in a bag or bowl, put in enough white flower to coat the meat.

In a skillet bring canola oil to medium heat or so. You will know it is hot enough when a little pinch of flower starts to fry, thats enough. Add all of the meat you can and watch your fingers. The oil should go half way up the side of the meat. Put the lid ON and keep it ON as much as possible. I think about 10 minutes per side is usually what we do. It's one of those things you get a feel for.

This also works well on chicken. :wink:
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Good topic! Hope the responses are high. My personal favorite is an easy one that a bunch of people make. I call it tips over noodles. I just brown some cubed up steaks in onions, drain, then add mushrooms, and cream mushroom soup. I simmer on low for some time. At the very end I add a large scoop of sour cream, and mix thorough. Serve over egg noodles. My wife loves it too.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Bigahh wrote:Good topic! Hope the responses are high. My personal favorite is an easy one that a bunch of people make. I call it tips over noodles. I just brown some cubed up steaks in onions, drain, then add mushrooms, and cream mushroom soup. I simmer on low for some time. At the very end I add a large scoop of sour cream, and mix thorough. Serve over egg noodles. My wife loves it too.
That's called "comfort food".

I mostly do venison steaks over the grill basted in Tomato & spices infused Olive Oil.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

I've posted this recipe on a couple of other sites. It's an old family recipe out of the Baker, Oregon area. We use it during elk season with venison harvested in deer season prior to the elk season. Even with "gamy" meat this has always turned out well. Ingredients may vary according to what's on hand.

Take venison steaks and pund until very thin

Set in egg mixture for 1/2 hour

Egg mixture:

Beaten whole eggs
Milk
Season salt
Pepper

Next set in cracker mixture...both sides

Cracker mixture

Crushed saltine crackers....fine, 2/3 of mix
Flour 1/3 of mix
1 pkg dry onion soup mix
Season salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

Fry steaks in hot oil
Turn when blood come to the top

We refer to this recipe as the "Never fail chicken fry recipe."

Roundup
Happy Trails!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Roundup,
That sounds good.
I've copied it and will give it a go.
Thanks.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
roundup
Levergunner 1.0

Post by roundup »

WCF3030

Let me know how it turns out!
Happy Trails!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

One really easy thing I have done is bacon-wrapped chop steaks. It's hamburger grind, made into at least a 1/3-lb. patty about one inch thick with a slice of bacon pinned around it. Then, I douse both sides with Tony Chachere's and toss them on the grill. Excellent fare, indeed.

My wife also likes to chicken-fry backstrap medallions, which I then dip in A-1 sauce and eat until I'm no longer able to walk. Oh, and there's also the butter-whipped potatoes in there, too. :shock:

Scott