Need Help on Savage 1899 250-3000

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Need Help on Savage 1899 250-3000

Post by Mainehunter »

It's been awhile that I have posted here been pretty busy with the house addition anyway I have a Savage 1899 T.D. in 250-3000 that I bought several years ago. The problem with it is the rifling, completely worn out. Just recently I went to the range and the loads I developed then are starting to key whole on paper. I'm thinking right off the top that I should re-sleeve the barrel but I hate to do it on the old girl. Your thoughts? Thanks!

Mainehunter :wink:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Need Help on Savage 1899 250-3000

Post by Sixgun »

Mainehunter,
As to relining, I don't believe your 99 takedown barrel has enough meat on it. My guy (Craig Rittenhouse of Tamaqua, Pa.) will not touch the thinnner barrels. He will not do Winchester carbine barrels or other lighweight models. Other gunsmiths might.
I bet that cast gas checked bullets sized a thousanths over will work, especially if you recrown the barrel.
Another thought in order to get jacketed bullets to work is to have a 'smith recrown the barrel. Not sure what jacketed bullet your using, but a lighter bullet with a flatbase might solve your problems.
Takedown '99 Savages are known for inaccuracy. Its a hit and miss. I did have a 300 TD ---(about 3"-4" @ 100) that was a "decent" shooter. Other guys have told me that a .22 Hi-Power in takedown will not shoot decent until they tack-weld the barrel to the action.
Now, go experiment and have some fun :D --------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

I don't know what happened to my last responce but, I'll try again.
Be certain your barrel is clean, really clean. If you rifle is in 90% or better, you may come out better by selling it and finding one with a better bore. If the barrel is too thin for relining, then you could have rechambered to .277 Titus, which was origionally done for shot out .250 barrels but, this would require you being a reloader so you could open the .250 brass to .270. You could perhaps rebore to .300 Savage but, that might require swaping out the magazine carrier to feed properly. Don't believe that just because it's a takedown it won't shoot good after all we're talking Savage not Winchester or Marlin takedowns. :D My 1930 G model takedown in .300 Savage still averages less than 2" groups at 100 yards with my cast bullets.
JDL
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would agree on trying a very thorough cleaning first. That old girl could have years of crud built up, making the rifling very shallow. Rifling not deep enough to grip the bullet can cause key-holing. I bought an old 98 Mauser very cheap one time because the seller thought the rifling was gone. You could see hints of rifling, but it was not very pronounced. I thought what the heck, and decided to see if it would clean up any. It took several days off and on, but when I got done the rifling was very pronounced and it actually shot pretty good.
NRA Life Member
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Thanks for the replies! When I bought the rifle I did have it looked at by a gunsmith just to make sure it was sound. He cleaned the bore by using Outers chemical cleaner but after several days of cleaning he concluded the rifling is well worn out. During load testing any 100 grain bullets I tried key holed. I settled on Hornady's 87 grain spire point bullets charged by 34.5 grains of IMR 3031. I don't why I didn't think of trying cast bullets maybe because of the velocities I was pushing these jacketed bullets made me think they won't hold up well. Hmmmmm.....

Mainehunter :wink:
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

Could be the slow twist barrel. My first .250 wouldn't shoot anything over 85 grains. I traded it off for a .250 takedown that had a faster twist barrel, and it shoots really well. Since your rifle is a takedown, I would leave your original barrel as is, and have a smith set up a new barrel for you. While your at it, might as well have him make up a couple in different calibers. Switch barrel Savages are too cool.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.