Tang sight is on....Other sight a no-show....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Tang sight is on....Other sight a no-show....

Post by Jeeps »

I was nervous at the start, but was surprised that the tang on my SRC cut like butter.

I didn't have access to a drill press, so being the Polish farmboy I am, I did the whole job in my lap with my cordless drill :shock:

I put the sight on and positioned it where I wanted it, then took an awl and scratched the circle for the front screw to be D&T'd. I then took a 5/64 drill and centered it, then worked it in by hand enough to attach the drill without worrying about drift. The bigger size went through like butter and tapped just as easily.

I snapped it up to my shoulder a few times and it felt so good, to be honest I think it is faster on target than the originals. And the front post is nice clear to my eye now instead of fuzzy. Speaking of the original rear sight, I drifted it out and clamped it in my vice, took my grinder and zzzzing. Drifted it right back in and it looks great.

I ordered one for my Henry .22 also but it wasn't in the box when I opened it up. I looked at the invoice and I was charged for it. :shock: The only thing in the box was my 92 sight, three apertures, and two sets of mounting screws.

I called Midway at once and explained the problem. The gentleman put me on hold to ask his superior about it. He came back and verified my delivery address and told me he would send me one on the morrow :D

Can't get better service than that.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a tang sight for my Marlin 95 and have been to chicken to try and put it on myself. I think I might this weekend.

Nice lookin' 92. I have one that looks just liike it .44mag.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey, nice job! Its always a little nerve wracking when drilling metal on a job that you have not done before. Its not as if you can go out and buy yourself another tang for your gun! But.........you got experience on it now and don't do what I did on my second try. My head was swelled up thinking I was THE gunsmith and drilled a few holes with the "clear" drill.--------------Hey!, I'm half Italian-----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Two things I must stress 2ndovc are...

Make sure you are perpendicular with the drill at all times and make sure there is no drift in the beginning.

Also, I made myself mentally able beforehand to accept that I might ruin a $300.00 levergun. I'm guessing your 95 is over $1,000.00 so plz take that into consideration. Look for someone with a good drill press, even if ya have to go to a garage and offer someone 10 or 15 dollars to "borrow" it for 20 minutes.

On the brighter side, I want another 92 but I'm still deciding whether to go with .44 or .357, decisions decisions.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Neat job, Jeeps. I know quite a few guys that use tang sights in cowboy action shooting, a speed game. I don't think they're faster, but that's my experience w/'em. Hey, if it works, who am I knock it? :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

I was worried about things like getting my eye centered quickly, would I have to crane my neck, or would it take a second for my eye to focus?

No worries at all. When the butt hits my shoulder the post is clear in my eye and on target. Thats with using the middle size of the three apertures too.

I was worried that the largest wasn't gonna be big enough :roll:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Congrats, the first is the hardest. You can do very good work by hand (with care).
Try drilling for a tang screw on a muzzleloading rifle. The drill has to go through the exact center of the tang,through the stock and come out exactly centered through the trigger plate or the tang bolt wont fit properly. then the trigger plate has to be tapped in the exact same plane or it won`t fit either. With a drill press and a simple fixture it is simple but scarry the first time. :wink:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

NIce job

Post by rjohns94 »

Great job especially with using a hand drill. Looks great on a great rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jsimmons
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jsimmons »

I had a 'smith drill/tap for the tang sight on my Henry (H001T). The longer sight plane afforded by adding the tang sight significantly helps with the accuracy of the rifle.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I know this sounds goofy but I've been dreaming of a tang site
on my H&R 12 ga shotgun for slug shootin..
The main reason I haven't is I dont want a tang sight
that is worth twice my gun.

Sure wish I could run across a cheap used one.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

I know this sounds goofy but I've been dreaming of a tang site
on my H&R 12 ga shotgun for slug shootin..
The main reason I haven't is I dont want a tang sight
that is worth twice my gun.

preventec47,

Don't confuse the value of the firearm with the money paid. I have a Marlin 336 (cost $200) with a Leupold Vari-X III scope on it (cost $400). Regardless of the cost of the Marlin, it is a quality rifle, and goes very well with the scope.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts