What is your favorite woods bumming gun?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

What is your favorite woods bumming gun?

Post by 336A »

So what do you floks usually reach for the most often when you decide to go loaf around in the woods for a bit? I find myself reaching for my Henry H001 .22 more than anything else.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: What is your favorite woods bumming gun?

Post by bsaride »

My 44 Spcl on my hip for 2 legged varmits.

Usually a 22 or two for just bummin around.
M39 cuz the M52 is too much to carry alot.
IJ revolver or now that I have the M41 will likely pack it as well.
Next year I will have rebuilt the 1890s Stevens Favorite and it
will get some woods time as well.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Man that's a tough question.

When I lived out on my little farm the rifle that always by the back door was my Marlin 94P / .44 mag. or
my .22lr Martini-Greener

Now that I've moved back to the city ( long story) and have to choose my trail guns ahead of time when I go to my cabin in PA
it changes.
Lately it's been my CZ 452 .22 Mag and 357 Bisley.
Or my Marlin 94P and Ruger SBH.
Or the .480 Rossi and .22 S&W model 17.

There are others but these have been the "go to" guns lately.
We have some pretty frisky black bears up there lately and
rarely go in the woods unarmed.
Strange thing is, in the 40 years that we've owned the place it's the two legged predators
that we've had the most problems with. :x

Almost forgot my 92 SRC/ 32-20. used to everywhere with me.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

My Marlin 39A Mountie is my favorite for that sort of thing. :)
Steve
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

My 38-40 is good. Good enough for the Skunk to Deer range.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Since I was a little kid and my uncle let me carry his Ruger Mk I-.22, and I have never gone woods bumming or hunting without a handgun on my hip. Deciding which gun I carry is always fun, but most of the time it is one of my Blackhawks, either a .357, a .45 Colt or a SBH .44. It depends on where I'm going. In Wyoming, some of the places were also home to bears, so the bigger calibers were used. If I'm deer or elk hunting and I have a large caliber rifle, sometimes I will carry a smaller caliber like a Ruger Single-six in 22/22mag.

On my last fishing trip this past summer, I carried a SBH .44 on my hip with my Marlin 1894-.44mag in the truck a short distance away. It does seem that I have been carrying a pistol caliber rifle more often lately. I still like having common calibers in my rifle and handgun.
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

SP101 when cutting firewood, fishin, trappin and swattin skeeters or doing anything else that keeps my hands busy. It is just part of my pants. Always in the same place, town or country. Keep .357 rifle close by most of the year but upgrade a mite (45-70) for our short moose season or if I head down to the coastline to load up on salmon.
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've gotten lazy in my old age. I hate carrying long guns unless I'm actually shooting or hunting.
So my woods bumming gun is usually a big bore (45 Colt) revolver. You never know what sort of target will make itself available.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

If tromping around in the warm desert, my 3" S&W .357, with the first round as snake-shot, followed by "warm" but not hot '57s. This should be adequate for cat encounters--which are increasingly likely with combo of continued draught and two legged encroachment on habitat. If woods bumming - which means a chance bear encounter- .44 Special, loaded warmly. If actually expecting major trouble - (camping in the middle of known bear population and camp intrusions) which would be rare - "regular" loading of .44 Mag. In the latter case, this is accompanied in camp by a 92 lever/trapper length in same caliber.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It's usually one of these little .25-20s. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I guess it depends. Today I took the Blackhawk in .45 Colt into the deer woods, leaving the rifles behind. It's kinda a nice "bumming" choice. I've got two 10/22s I could use for squirrels, but lately I've been looking real hard at my 1890's vintage Stevens favorite (mine's a smoothbore) and a stock 10/22 barrel I have hanging around. Might just have to re-work the 10/22 barrel to fit the Stevens, chop it to 16 1/4", and create a "minimal" walking around gun that should still shoot well. Since the Favorite is a takedown version, it'd also pack in a case about 16 X 6 inches, for pack or kayak duty. Just one of those things that make ya go "Hmmmm" :)
Certified gun nut
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Hmmmm - MARLIN 39tds in .22lr of course - when I plan on taking small game, plinking etc. On my hip would be my S&W model 60-3 stoked with 180gr .357 for trouble with others.

During deer season, Marlin 1893 in 30WCF and on my hip would be my Walther PP in .22lr or the same S&W.

If I was woodswalking in Alaska or big bear territory, It would be my WWG in .457/45-70. I would have to go shopping for a pistol there - not sure which I would use.

If I would choose a general rifle it would be my NKJ .357, I could use it for small game or deer size game, and I would have the S&W and the Walther. Add my shotgun and those four would keep me happy all the rest of my days. I put a couple hundred rounds through both the NKJ and the Walther today and came away smiling all the more.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I have/carry a Remington 870 12ga Shotgun, a sporterized Model 1917 Enfield .30-06 Rifle, and a scoped Ruger 10/22 .22LR in my truck 24/7/365. Most of the times when I stop to do some boony-stomping, I take the 12ga. with me with #4 Buckshot in my 25 round cartridge belt.
ED
Yer never too old
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

336A wrote:So what do you floks usually reach for the most often when you decide to go loaf around in the woods for a bit? I find myself reaching for my Henry H001 .22 more than anything else.
I'm always carrying my SP101..

But when I take the time to go out to one of the FWAs I'm carrying my .357 Rossi 92 - Usually with a catsneeze on top of 2 180gr "heavies" and 8 Factory 158 SJSPs in reserve, with 5 more Catsneeze on the butt and a few more in the pocket and a Speed Strip of 180gr "heavies" for bad times.

A bit handier in a crisis than a .22...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

if it isn't hunting season, then it is my .22 magnum single six. if it is hunting season then the single six and one of my levers...a 22 mag, 30-30, 32 special, 44 mag, or 35 rem. during hunting season i want something i can shoot a deer or hog with and also something i can take a rabbit or squirrel with.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

My all time favorite and most used is the Ruger Single Six stainless with a 5 1/2" barrel and the 22 WRM cylinder in place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Lots of nice guns and pairs mentioned.

One thing that is nice is to have a gun which isn't so loud you'd suffer permanent hearing damage if you touched one or two off without hearing protection; 'bear' guns being the exception, of course.

That's one thing I like about a .45 ACP or .44 Spl vs. a .357 Mag when it comes to handguns. I guess it's what has a subsonic muzzle velocity?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

B-92 .357 mag. 1886.
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt 4 5/8" Blue.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

for protection when scouting, a 336, 35 Rem or 30-30.

before deer season I went out and annoyed birds with a .22 cal Benjamin Sheridan, now THAT was fun. For outings close to civilization I'm going to take that.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
eric65
Levergunner 2.0

Post by eric65 »

4" GP 100
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm with Mike D. Its usually the same Model 25 Remington he has but in 32-20 caliber. Theres almost always a SA Colt of some sort tucked away too-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

I use to always take a 30-30 and a .357 mag but now a days I take an 1895G and a .44 cal ball and cap revolver. It's give me an excuse to empty the .44 into a tree before coming home. I get to then reload it before putting it in the safe for the next trip.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

My Marlin 39A Mountie is my favorite for that sort of thing. :)
Steve
A man after my own heart. During my youth this was my fav also. I recent got another one and it has certainly went straight to the top of the list!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I carry this rig with a SS Cimarron 357 and shoot 38 special HP in it because it is inexpensive and easy on the ears. I usally have a El Tigre 44-40 in the truck.

"That'll Be The Day"
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

That would be "Shorty" my single shot Rossi 357 Magnum. :wink:
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Either my Henry 22 or my Rossi 92 357 Mag.
NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

S&W 629 classic 44 mag........to many black bears!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Depending on weather and how I feel at the moment:
Ruger SBH 7.5", Ruger Security Six 2.75" in 357 or Ruger Single Six with 22lr cylinder.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

If I just go bummin I carry my 92 in 357 or my 22, 39a. I carry a SIG 220 in 45 or SIG 229 in 40 on my hip.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have to redo my answer. Currently, I can't roam the woods, carrying a rifle, when no hunting season is available. I don't own land to roam on and the game lands don't allow practicing on them. So, as I reread the question, it doesn't ask what I roam the woods with when I am hunting. When I am out in the woods outside of hunting season, no rifle is carried. During those times, as with all other times, I carry a pistol or revolver or both- either my rohrbaugh 9mm in my right rear pocket, my Walther PP .22, strong side carry, or my S&W 60-3. More and more, I am carrying the .22 when out playing. In my daily carry bag, I carry the .22, with 100 CCI mini Mag and extra mag, the Rohrbaugh with 3 mags and a 20 box of 115 Gold dots. In the truck is always the NKJ '92 in .357 with the S&W 60-3 in the same caliber. I have two boxes of ammo in the truck, 180gr JHP, and 148 gr LSWCHP. I am pondering carrying my Benelli M3 in the truck with various loads. It would fit in the floor case I carry the .357s in.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I always pack some type of handgun on my hip when out and about; a Colt SAA in 45 or FA 83 in 454. Never know when I'm going to have to deal with a two legged predatory animal, bear (black or grizz) and cat. I usually don't carry a rifle unless I'm hunting. Then it depends on my mood I'm in and the game I'm hunting.
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Browning 1886 carbine, and Ruger SA 45 Colt.

When off the mountain, and not in good bear country, a 4" Smith 29 or the Ruger 45, and a Winchester 94 carbine, or when sort of near the mountain, and in open country some, the 71. The 71 gives me a good 300 yards of range to cover the dogs if they got in trouble. Sighted in 2 1/2" to 3" high @ 100, hitting the 18" plate @ 300 yds is fairly easy offhand. I sometimes carry a scoped bolt gun, the glass makes a huge difference in poor light, such as is common this time of year when I can get out to walk. Usually a 308, sometimes a 35 Whelen or 30-06.

Been grizzlies acting frisky, and cats acting goofy. Wolves bother dogs some,.....Ain't any cell coverage most places I go, or help available even of you could call,..someone,..anyone.

Always take at least 30 rounds along,....
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

These days, a SS frame .357 Cenntenial, or one of the .45acp's..... If I'm hunting and have rifle with, just the little AirLite .22 will do.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That Shorty - now that is one of a kind.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GANJIRO wrote:That would be "Shorty" my single shot Rossi 357 Magnum. :wink:
Great gun - I'd like the same setup in .45 Colt...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Oops, I completely forgot about the sidearm. Occasionally, I carry a beat up old Colt SA .44 WCF in a rig I got from Rick Bachman back in 1978. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Just to be different. Here is a altered 1890 winchester I have. I had the .22 wrf rechambered to .22 WMRF. This rifle "fits" me better than any other rifle I own. It even has a cheekpiece stock! This rifle is light, yet has a couple inch longer then standard stock that feels like it was custom built for just me! It dates 1924.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

I have a ten year old 1885 45/70 Marlin that I did all the normal stuff to, AO sight, ejector, trigger, cross bolt plug. I also put a Treebone Carving stock on it. It is my "truck gun" that I take everywhere I take a rifle unless specifically hunting big game with a scoped rifle. As far as side arms go my current favorite is a 45 Colt New Vaquero that Clements went through. I carry it in an El Paso Threepersons holster on my regular belt. If carrying concealed it is a Walther ppks.

Dave
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have a large collection have handguns and the wife and I ride quad a lot. It probley is our biggest activity here in utah on the many trails we are blessed with. Seems every time we go I am trying to decide what new gun to grab for the day. However I take this ruger .32 H&R Mag more than others as it is light, flat shooting, accurate and fun.

TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

When on the ranch, I carry a 30-30 trapper or Cowboy and a 4.625" Ruger single six.

TomF
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

AJMD429 wrote:
GANJIRO wrote:That would be "Shorty" my single shot Rossi 357 Magnum. :wink:
Great gun - I'd like the same setup in .45 Colt...!
I have stainless NEF Handi Rifle in 223, and with their barrel accessory program I plan on ordering among other barrels (24" stainless 45/70) a 44 Magnum barrel and have it cut down to 16.25" just like "Shorty". The H&R Handi Rifle's 12 gauge size frame is quite a bit heavier then the Rossi .410 size frame so even with barrel cut to 16.25" the 44 Mag Handi will weigh at least a pound more than "Shorty" which is okay with the additional recoil of the 44 Mag. Can't wait to get some disposable income. :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If I'm just in the mood to plink, I grab my old Model 39 Marlin standard rifle and a box of .22's. If I want something with a little more boom, I go with my old 1894 Marlin in .32-20 cal.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

If I'm on pack trips without the grizzly bears, I carry my Redhawk 44 Mag and M94 pack rifle in same caliber.
In the grizzlies its the 45-70 for sure.
When I'm bumming around the ranch it's usually the Marlin 32-20 or the Browning 218 Bee. Here lately I've been packin the M92 Cimarron 44-40 and having fun with it. So far it's done well on a coon, jackrabbit, and one big porcupine. Oh and one cow we butchered for hamburger.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Wes, after using the 44-40 on a big cow how do you feel about it for deer now? I reckon you figure to use it next year. Still waiting for one for my 92 32wcf and 100 grain XTPHP load.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
loader
Levergunner 1.0

Post by loader »

Sorry but not a lever. First choice is Hi-Standard Sentinel 2" .22lr. If small game hunting season is in Savage 24 22mag/20.
Never take life seriously, cause there's no way of getting out of it alive.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

GANJIRO wrote: I have stainless NEF Handi Rifle in 223, and with their barrel accessory program I plan on ordering among other barrels (24" stainless 45/70) a 44 Magnum barrel and have it cut down to 16.25" just like "Shorty". The H&R Handi Rifle's 12 gauge size frame is quite a bit heavier then the Rossi .410 size frame so even with barrel cut to 16.25" the 44 Mag Handi will weigh at least a pound more than "Shorty" which is okay with the additional recoil of the 44 Mag. Can't wait to get some disposable income. :D
[thread unraveling] :oops:

Three Questions:

1) Do you have to drive the pin out with a punch to change barrels, since it isn't held in by the forend like the Contender/Encore guns? If so, perhaps you could make a hex-screw into some sort of pin with good fit and lockup?

2) Which is the best Handi to start with if you want a wide variety of 'descendents' - I know some of the .357 Mags are on a lighter weight frame I was told couldn't handle higher pressures.

3) Since they aren't very expensive guns, does it save money to get another barrel fitted, vs. getting a whole separate gun for your new caliber(s)?

[/thread restore]

DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

If i'm just "bummin" I don't like to carry a long gun. I usually put one of my short-barreled Ruger single-actions in a Simply Rugged pancake.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

AJMD429 wrote:
Three Questions:

1) Do you have to drive the pin out with a punch to change barrels, since it isn't held in by the forend like the Contender/Encore guns? If so, perhaps you could make a hex-screw into some sort of pin with good fit and lockup?
On the Handi-Rifle a screw holds the fore end on, unscrew, remove fore end, and barrels comes right off.
2) Which is the best Handi to start with if you want a wide variety of 'descendents' - I know some of the .357 Mags are on a lighter weight frame I was told couldn't handle higher pressures.
Start with a centerfire rifle chambering, and that frame will handle all barrels. The 357, and 44 mag rifles use the iron shotgun frame but the centerfire rifles use a steel frame, both frames same size and weight though.
3) Since they aren't very expensive guns, does it save money to get another barrel fitted, vs. getting a whole separate gun for your new caliber(s)?
The barrels run you average about half the price of a whole new gun depending on barrel. Good if you're limited in space or money. :wink:
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

When you say 'woods bumming', I'm going with the premise that we are not talking about hunting season. :wink:

I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my 4 3/4" Ruger Flattop with me. I wear it on a lined 3" El Paso Saddlery belt with 15 extra rounds, in a deep 1880 crossdraw holster. It is a really neat outfit that I don't even notice when it is belted on tightly. I also have an extra 9 loops on my belt for 45-70's or 45-90's, but those are generally only used during hunting season.

90+% of the time I'll also have my receiver sighted Marlin Cowboy in .44. It is sighted in for the same load as my flattop and is superbly accurate and just loves Unique powder, from very light to medium-heavy. I've taken a few deer and quite a lot of both blue and ruffed grouse with it, but I don't usually pack it during hunting season.

Where I do at least 50% of my 'woods bumming', from early March to late June the timber companys FEED THE BEARS! They have feed 'stations' that are constantly replentished with a pellet to give the bears the same nutrients that they get from peeling the cambius layer from fir trees, which destroy the tree. That gets the bears funneling into a very localized area. Where I hike I walk by at least 3 bear feeding stations. I've used that trail for over 30 years and I'll be darned if I am going to be changing my habits, doggone it! But when I start seeing fresh steaming bear scat and tracks on the trail, I will either go to a much heavier load in the Marlin or else change to my .348 with stout 250gr Barnes at 2050fps.

My wife hikes with much of the time so no matter where we are I'll ALWAYS take a rifle along in addition to my pistol. Two reasons. One, my wife is just more comfortable when I have a rifle. When she has been with me we have on more than one occasion just about bumped into bears on the trail and twice we've ran across cats (mt lions). Two, I tend to like to hike much farther than the wife. So if I get a real burr under my tail and want to continue on for a few (or half dozen!) extra miles, I'll have my wife take my rifle and then meet her back at the truck!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan