I'm Appalled

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

I'm Appalled

Post by 6pt-sika »

I never was big on the 444 Marlin cartridge . However I bought my first back about 2002 in the Marlin 444P .That was my third Marlin if memory serves ! Started with an 1895M followed by a 1895CB and then the 444P . I still have all three I might add !

Anyway I took the 444P out and killed a deer or two with it and 250 grain Nosler Partition handloads . Worked well enough and so I put it away in the safe . Even robbed the Leupold Vari XII 1-4 I had on top for another Marlin of some type .

I didn't really have any intrest in another 444 until a few years later . Can't remmember if I got the 444XLR or LNIB 444SS . Anyway they came on the scene pretty much at the same time .And both worked well with handloads ! The XLR was blooded using handloaded Hornady 265's while I started the 444SS with handloaded Speer 270's . That year I popped an okay 8 point with the XLR and the Hornady bullet and then later I wacked 5 slicks with the 444SS and the Speer 270 . And as the saying goes they performed well ! And so after the season they went into the safe !

Sometime shortly after that I decided I wanted one of the 444 Marlin's with the straight grip and monte carlo stock . So I found one at a semi local auction . This one was made in 1971 the last year of manufacture for this model ! Later I noticed it had a square lever which at first I thought was incorrect as the previouse years all had rounded levers . Investigation and forum questions satisfied me that all 1971 models had the square lever . Well at least the straight stocked monte carlo rifles .
So then I decided I needed a rounded lever First Model to go with the squared lever rifle and I also thought it would be cool to have one of the ones with the PG and barrel bands that was made from 1971 until 1975 !
So the next thing you know I have a rounded lever rifle that was made in 1968 and a second model with the PG and BB's that was made in 1971 (the first year of manufacture for this model) .
Well since that time I've thought it would be intresting to get one for each year of manufacture of both these models or versions whichever you care to call them !
So now I'm at FIVE of the First Models and TWO of the Second Models .

Now the rifles unto themselves is not that big a deal ! However I decided I needed to shoot cast in them all and a different bullet in each ! Now somewhere during all this Ranch Dog sent me one of his "Original" 432-285GC molds and the race was on so to speak !

After that the first year I had the original 3 rifles set up with Ranch Dog cast bullets and Leupold variable scopes .

Then this year the other 4 rifles were added to the mix and I saw reason to start using the older Weaver fixed power scopes ! As I was constantly moving scopes during the course of deer season . And it's way cheaper to spend $40-70 dollars on and old Weaver then a couple hundred on a new Leupold variable . Another thing to eat money :roll:

So before you know it I have a box full of old Weavers and Weaver mounts . To say nothing of the ever growing pile of 44 caliber molds suitable for use in lever rifles .

At the beginning with the 444P I truely believed and still do for the most part that the Nosler 250 Partition will do anything in a 444 that I need done !
But now I have gone way way past the 250 grain mark ! Almost by 100 grains to date :!:

Seems here lately I find myself looking for new molds to try in these rifles and of course guns that fit in my collection for the years I don't have !

And I suppose the fact that I have become a little gung ho about this thing is okay !

But it's just APPALLING to me that I never really cared for the 444 Marlin that much to begin with :D
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: I'm Appalled

Post by Catshooter »

Ok that's all fine and a nice narrative and all, but where's the pic's???? :)

Cat
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Suckered were you? :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hey 6

I can't wait for the tale of the guns you WERE SMITTEN with.. that should read as good as this one does. nice story. sorry you're stuck with all those medium bores. :lol:
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

You might enjoy reading Ken Waters on this cartridge.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've known many drinkers, they hated beer. But after they drank a rail car full over a period of time, they acquired a taste for it. Now, that's all they drink. I've got a brand new 444 Marlin I bought about 18 months ago, unfired as yet. After reading your story, I think I want to hunt with that one this season. Who knows, may catch the same bug that got you. :D
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I'm appalled that you would post such a story since I've been trying to figure out if I want (not need :wink: ) one... :?

Even more appalling is the lack of pics.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Old Savage wrote:You might enjoy reading Ken Waters on this cartridge.
I have what he wrote in 68 or 69 in my "Pet Loads" . He didn't seem to big on cast in the old bird !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Grizz wrote:hey 6

I can't wait for the tale of the guns you WERE SMITTEN with.. that should read as good as this one does. nice story. sorry you're stuck with all those medium bores. :lol:
You know I can't really say I "dislike" any cartridge !

But there are some I like better then others !

The 32-40 probably heads the list with the 32 Special and 32-20 not far behind !

Now if we were to get into bolt actions ! Woww there are many many ! 6mm's , 6.5mm's , 7mm's and 8mm's that are it for me ! Also kinda like the 9.3mm's although I have never owned one !

Also like the 375 H&H MAG and the 416 REM MAG ! And of course you can't leave out the 204 Ruger or 25-06 or ............ This could go on for days !
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Sounds to me like you are purely addicted to Marlin .444's.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay some pics :!:

The 444XLR with a 8 point VA whitetail I killed in 2006 .

The 444SS with a slick I killed in Virginia in 2006 !

The 444P is second up from the bottom !

The top is a Second Model circa 1971 ,
next down is a First Model circa 1971 ,
next down is a First Model circa 1968 ,
and on the bottom is a First Model circa 1965 the first year of manufacture !

Top is a Second Model of 1975 vintage ,
middle is a First Model of 1970 vintage ,
at the bottom is a First Model of 1966 vintage !

And the oddball in the bunch ! My H&R Handi Rifle in 444 Marlin !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Cast bullets for the 444 !

The Ranch Dog 44 caliber trio !

"Boomer Mikey's" castboolit group buy 434-330GC bullet ! After Lee was finished with it turned out to be 315 grains !

On the left castboolits group buy 434-207GC !
On the right the Lyman 429640HP "Devastater" .

On the left the NEI #263B 429-310GC .
On the right is the NEI #266 429-330GC .
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Great pictures.
Really nice wood on one of those!!
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

6pt-sika wrote:
Grizz wrote:hey 6

You know I can't really say I "dislike" any cartridge !

But there are some I like better then others !

The 32-40 probably heads the list with the 32 Special and 32-20 not far behind !

Now if we were to get into bolt actions ! Woww there are many many ! 6mm's , 6.5mm's , 7mm's and 8mm's that are it for me ! Also kinda like the 9.3mm's although I have never owned one !

Also like the 375 H&H MAG and the 416 REM MAG ! And of course you can't leave out the 204 Ruger or 25-06 or ............ This could go on for days !
I share your fondness of the 9.3. I had a beautifully shooting CZ 550 FS in 9.3x62. Let it get away though. 1886.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

nice story aand great pics.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Is the breakopen as accurate, or more accurate, than your average lever action ones?

I've thought about an Encore barrel in .444 Marlin, but can't decide vs. a .460 S&W (so I could fire .454 Casulls for 'light days' :lol: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote:Is the breakopen as accurate, or more accurate, than your average lever action ones?

I've thought about an Encore barrel in .444 Marlin, but can't decide vs. a .460 S&W (so I could fire .454 Casulls for 'light days' :lol: ).

IMHO , buy the H&R Handi Rifle over a barrel for the Encore !

I have a Encore Pro Hunter with a ML , 12 slug and 338 Federal barrels . And to be honest I feel like I wasted $1400 on this whole mess ! Although the 338 Federal does shoot pretty well !

But back to your real question I think the H&R shoots about the same as the Marlin's !

I have a H&R Ultra Sug Hunter Deluxe 20 gauge that shoots better then I can !

I've been thinking about taking my Pro Hunter frame getting a custom shop 444 pistol barrel and using it that way .
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

6pt, you might be able to answer this since you brought up the Handi.

How's the recoil of the .444 out of one? I have the .45-70 Buffalo Classic and it'll whomp me pretty good unless I use the GOEX BP cartridges.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote:6pt, you might be able to answer this since you brought up the Handi.

How's the recoil of the .444 out of one? I have the .45-70 Buffalo Classic and it'll whomp me pretty good unless I use the GOEX BP cartridges.

The Handi Rifle in 444 is HEAVY ! It also has a recoil pad ! So to me recoil isn't bad at all but then I never had a 444 thump me until I started messing with 330 grain bullets and they still aren't what I'd call bad !
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

6pt-sika wrote:
awp101 wrote:6pt, you might be able to answer this since you brought up the Handi.

The Handi Rifle in 444 is HEAVY ! It also has a recoil pad ! So to me recoil isn't bad at all but then I never had a 444 thump me until I started messing with 330 grain bullets and they still aren't what I'd call bad !
Hmmm, is it the bbl making it so heavy or is it a different frame?

I'm curious because I have the Buff and a regular SB2 with synthetic furniture. I plan on replacing the plastic with wood one day but it still seems like a light frame for the caliber.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

awp101 wrote:Hmmm, is it the bbl making it so heavy or is it a different frame?
The barrel the frame looks pretty standard .