A92 Wildcat?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

A92 Wildcat?

Post by slimster »

I may have a chance to reacquire an old gun. The buddy who bought my old blued Puma 454 has suddenly got the desire to own a EBR, and would sell it back to me if I desire. Not having a real need for another 20" 454 carbine, I got to thinking about an old article of Paco's about his 30-357 Paco Wildcat in a 92. I can't help but wonder about the possibilities and potential of a 454 necked down to 30 cal., perhaps with a 40 deg. shoulder and a one caliber neck length. Is anyone familiar with anything along these lines being done? Does anyone have any ideas on what kind of performance could be achieved, or perhaps have a ballistics program that could run some numbers. It might be a cool project.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A92 Wildcat?

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Interesting. Hopefully someone will come along that can estimate ballistics on that item.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have read about his 92 in .256 Win. Mag.
But not the one you speak of.
Have you looked at the .357/.44 Bain & Davis?
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Years ago, Wayne Baker of FA was converting Ruger #3's in 22 Hornet into the 22-454 as a sideline project. Interesting little cartridge, that was very efficient. Problem was that it took a couple of annealing stages and several necking stages. Brass was painfully difficult to make, and workers at FA who had those rifles treated their brass like gold coins. Personally I dislike the brass forming when it gets that complicated. I doubt that a 30 caliber based on that case would be much better to form. It gets into some extreme and creative processes. There has to be something easier to do with a project rifle like that which will get you closer to what you want...but if you are that brave at heart...have fun....

Ed
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Seven different necking operations, with annealing between each step. <50% usable case yield.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

30-30 shortmag? :wink:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.