Hunting report (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Hunting report (photos)

Post by KirkD »

I met a fellow at family camp in Northern Ontario just over a year ago and he invited me to check out the deer hunting on Manitoulin Island where he lives. So, Friday afternoon, I loaded up the old '97 Suburban and made the eight hour drive. It is a large island along the north shore of Lake Huron.

Since the deer season didn't start until Monday, we launched his boat to go after some big Lake Huron Rainbow Trout, but there was a brisk North wind blowing and the rollers were so large, we had to turn back. We loaded up the boat and launched it again, but this time in an inland lake on the island. It was dadgummed cold, with the temperature just above freezing and that North wind keeping us extra cool. There was no one else crazy enough to be sport fishing that day so we had the lake to ourselves. I managed to catch one Walleye and the other fellow caught one the same size. Here's a photo of mine, a 29 incher .......

Sunday we went to a church on the Ojibway Wikwemikong reservation. It was my kind of service .... very informal, with the pastor sitting on a stool at the front giving a very good teaching and the people interrupting the pastor from time to time to ask questions. I really enjoyed the informal way they had church and the people seemed to all know each other and care for one another. It was kind of like a big family. I wish a lot more churches were like that. The rest of the day we loafed around, which I don't get to do very often.

Monday morning I hauled myself out of bed at 5:00 am. Just between you and me, I never enjoy getting out of the sack at that unearthly hour, but for deer hunting or fishing, I'll do it voluntarily. By 5:30 we were loading the truck and heading out into the darkness. It was quite a bit below freezing, with a bit of snow giving the ground a dusting. My friend dropped me off at my location, along the edge of a hayfield, and continued on to another place further in the bush. Between trying to stay awake and trying to stay warm with that doggone North wind getting brisker by the day, the time slowly passed. Suddenly, around 9:00 am, I saw a buck making its way toward me from the far corner of the hayfield. The wind was blowing from behind me not directly at the buck, but at a shallow angle from him and I knew he'd smell me sooner or later. I eased the hammer back to full cock and watched him through my Lyman receiver sight as he got nearer. Finally, at 61 yards away (measured later), he stopped and looked at me for a couple seconds and then looked back over his shoulder. I figured I'd better make my move. He was pretty much square on to me, with his head still looking back. I aimed for his chest and squeezed the trigger of Old Savage, my Winchester Model 94 30-30 that was made in 1954. The buck went down on the spot.

I'd forgotten my camera back at the house, so I had to use my iPhone to take a few photos. They aren't the greatest, but you get the picture .....

We went back to my friend's place about mid day and I cleaned and skinned out the eight-point buck. The 150 grain cast RCBS bullet over 25 grains of RL-7 powder had entered the chest, crossed over and stopped under the skin about half way back. Here's a photo of the recovered bullet ....

The bullet was going about 2,220 fps when it left the muzzle. The expanded bullet weighed 133 grains, so it lost about 17 grains, counting the gas check.

2:30 in the afternoon found me back at the edge of the same hayfield. There was the usual temptation to nod off (I get very relaxed in the bush .... kinda like home for me) then with less than a half hour of available light left, I spotted another buck moving at a fast walk along the far edge of the hayfield next to the bush. When he got directly opposite me, he showed no sign of stopping, so I let Old Savage rip once again at a later measured range of 82 yards. The buck took off like there was a pack of howling Banshees on its tail. It cranked a tight 360 degree circle so fast that as it tore around the curve, its body was 45 degrees to the ground. Then it straightened out and tore into the bush at top speed. However, I had seen a rosy patch when he straightened out, on what was the side facing away from me when I shot, so figured the bullet had gone right through both lungs. Sure enough, there were spots of blood on the grass. I began to track the spots of blood on various leaves and trees. It was getting dark, by now, but fortunately, I had one of those fancy head lamps and was still able to pick out spots of blood from time to time. When I couldn't find any, I'd make an educated guess about 20 feet ahead and, sure enough, there was some more blood spots on branches or leaves. About 100 yards from where he'd been hit I found him. Deader than a doornail. This buck also had a small eight point rack and was a little heavier than the first one. Upon cleaning and skinning him this evening, I saw that the bullet had gone through both lungs, just forward of the diaphram. I must confess that I was not totally happy with my shot on the second buck. Although through both lungs, it was a little further back than I had aimed. Last night I did some calculations. Moving along at a brisk walk like he was, and at 82 yards, he would have moved forward at least 8 inches by the time my bullet reached him. I've dropped another buck with my 38-55 on a different year that was running flat out, but I aimed 3 feet in front of him. This time, since this buck was only walking briskly, I did not lead him at all, which I now see was a mistake. Still, the one shot did the job, but it's clear that a person must adjust his shot for even a walking deer and range. This time I had my normal camera; here's a couple photos .....

Today I headed back home with two bucks in the back of the old Suburban. Two bullets, two eight-point bucks. I have to confess, though, that I had fired off between 200 and 300 rounds practicing for a couple months before hunting season, so I guess, strictly speaking, it wasn't really two bullets. Good thing I reload with cast bullets (cheap like Borscht). I had a great time practicing with this little 30-30 carbine and an even better time this weekend, harvesting those two Whitetail deer.
Last edited by KirkD on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hunting report (photos)

Post by BigSky56 »

Good shooting Kirk, I like the fiddleback grain pattern in the buttstock. danny
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Congrats Kirk - you da' man!!!! :D :mrgreen:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: Hey KirkD, color me envious! That's the way all hunting trips should start and finish. Excellent job and enjoy the meals and memories. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

Good job, nice bucks ! those walleye are the best eating fish there is, I would kill for some about now.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

W :shock: W what a GREAT adventure and report, thank you Kirk! Nice to hear the old girl bark I bet. Congratulations on your success! I have a bunch of cast 170 loads to test using 748, 3031, and RL-7 for the Marlin 36D I got for my dad, but I'm still on a 5 pound lift limit and still need a cane and painkillers so no hunting for a while let alone range time. These kind of reports help time pass smoothly, thanks again. :D
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Sweet hunt KirkD and congrats 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

You are GOOD .!!!!......................................Mutt
:D
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Very nice to see others using cast.
Great job!!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice buck and bullet performance.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

very nice...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nicely done Kirk, thanks for the report and pictures. :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen:

Dang Kirk, you even take better photos with a phone camera than I can with a regular camera! :lol: I am pretty sure I need lessons or something.

Need lessons on deer hunting, too! (or maybe just more enthusiasm) Nice deer. I've only seen does (except for yesterday, NO deer).

Thanks for sharing.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Practice and preparation. Nothing wrong with shooting that many rounds before the hunt. I know it had to have been a lot of fun doing so, and it builds a ton of confidence when one knows exactly what a particular gun and load is going to do - if they do their part! Looks lik you sure did your part!!! :D

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!!! :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Practice will alway help to put the venison on the table...
Great story and congrats on the 2 nice bucks...
and i really enjoy your pics...top notch post...as always!
BTW you look like your having way to much fun! :mrgreen:
Nice fish too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Congrats Kirk, very good story and pics, as always, and some nice eating for future meals. The pre-season pratice with the firearm is just a necessary evil. :wink: :lol: I noticed that the gas check was lost while traversing the deer as some of mine has done that also. What was your bullet alloy?
JDL
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

That's the way to do it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

Great hunting story KirkD! Great shooting with good old faithful too!

I used to have your picture of that rifle on my desktop (lying on the red blanket surrounded by maple leaves ), looks like you have gone with the peepsight these days. I find the Lyman better on one of my 94's too.

I am heading out to chase the elusive sambar down here in the Victorian high country on Thursday. I have not been out deer hunting in months, leave sure is good :)

Keep up the good work mate :)

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Very nice, those deer look much thicker than the ones in my area. Nice catch on the walleye too. Looks cold.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Chris, good luck on your Sambar hunt. A pair of Sambar Stag antlers would sure be nice to have.

JDL, these bullets were cast for me by a local fellow, so I don't know the alloy. I've now started casting my own bullets, but still have about 500 of these left. I'm planning to get a RCBS 180 grain mould for my 30-30 and when I do, I'll be melting the rest of these down to cast 180 grainers. I'll plan to use plain WW alloy, water dropped, for my 30-30.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Slick13
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick13 »

Nice going Kirk! You guys are all making me anxious to hunt. Black bear finally comes in for three days starting next Monday, but rifle deer doesn't come in PA until December 1st. I was planning on taking my Savage 114 for bear (and still probably will) and opening day of deer, but after seeing your post, ,my 1957 Model 94 Carbine may make an appearance on opening day of deer. :D

~Michael
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Excellent job! As a cast bullet junkie who has been hunting with and taking big game for 35+ years 'nearly' exclusively with cast, I LOVE hearing hunting stories about using cast bullets!

I don't know that I would melt down the remainder of your stocks to make new bullets, instead I would shoot the snot out of your remaining stores while building up your new stores of the RCBS!

I love your old Winchester :wink:

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks so very much for this excellent report. Sounds like a perfect trip indeed. blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, glad to hear that you had a good trip. Those are two fine big bodied deer, alot of good eating too. The old 30wcf will get things done. I know what you mean about the indian churches, they do love the Lord.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Great post and sure a wonderful trip for you. I'm certain a number of us are envious and would love to have the same kind of experience under our belts this season.

I'm keeping a .44 mag revolver in the truck with me as I'm about my rounds here on the farm. Have seen two bucks; one a smallish 4 point a little far for a reliable pistol shot for me and the other a really dandy 8 point just after sundown one evening. He would have been easy meat, but just couldn't bring myself to take a shot for fear the .44 wouldn't bring him down right away. Also area neighbors might question a shot that late in the evening! Maybe sometime before season end I'll spot him again and all will be favorable for a successful end to my search. Should be packing my 30-30, but previous seasons' experience has proven that it's a little awkward to drag out of the truck when a quick shot might present itself. Wish I could find some time for still or stand hunting. Sure would make my "hunt" more enjoyable. Possibly, I can get in a couple of days to do just that before the end of the month.

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. I always look forward to your posts.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Kirk, I have so been waiting to here a hunting report from you. I knew it was going to be quality even if you saw nothing!
Well done, bet it didn't seem like 8 hours driving back hey!

That cast slug looks just perfect, just why they are not used over here I will never know.

Blessing to ya and yours,

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Looks like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
NRA Life Member
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nice going and an excellent report as usual. How has the deer hunting been going in Ontario this year? The numbers are low this year in Quebec. Some say it is the winter and others say coyotes.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

FRESH walleve and venison steaks! your livin' like a king , dude. congradulations :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Sounds like a perfect Weekend to me! Congratulations Kirk, thanks for sharing.

PS got your calendar today, its brilliant! :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

iceman wrote:Nice going and an excellent report as usual. How has the deer hunting been going in Ontario this year? The numbers are low this year in Quebec. Some say it is the winter and others say coyotes.
Iceman, I normally hunt on St. Joseph Island, the next big island to the west of Manitoulin. The MNR there is saying that the deer harvest this year was only 30 percent of normal, so it is way, way down there.

Gamekeeper, I'm glad the calendar got there safely, and that you like it.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I doubt anyone could apck any more fun into one trip! Good fishing, a great church service, and two whitetails to top it off! You are truly blessed Kirk!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

First class all the way!
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Great post. Canada sure doesn't lack for water. If I read you right, you were fishing in a lake, on an island, in a lake! Any chance there was an island in that lake? ;-)
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Kirk,
Thank you very much for the hunting report. Nice to hear that those cast bullets did their job well, launched by a vintage cartridge, in a vinatge rifle in the hands of a man who knows how to use it. :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian