which receiver sight to buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shawn45
Levergunner

which receiver sight to buy?

Post by shawn45 »

For my sons Rossi 357 carbine, Don't know much about 'em I own two put need advice from folks that have been around.
thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: which receiver sight to buy?

Post by J Miller »

shawn45,

There is lots of choices, but my favorites are the Williams FP and the Lyman 66A.
I have one of each of those on my Trappers and others sitting in my box for when I get the other lever guns drilled and tapped for them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well if you want a nice tang sight - Marbles - its elevation and windage adjustable.

Very cool looking and work great - you can use all kinds of inserts.

And don't forget one of these too:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I like the Williams FP. Price is right and a good solid product.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I always get the FP. Well, almost always. Have a 66LA on the .30 cal 336T.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

Bump to top, how about on an original 1892 in 32wcf? I'd like a better rear sight, but don't want it to look wrong etc... and have no clue how to "weather it" to match either? Or is drilling always required? That I don't want to do.

Jeff
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

rost495 wrote:Bump to top, how about on an original 1892 in 32wcf? I'd like a better rear sight, but don't want it to look wrong etc... and have no clue how to "weather it" to match either? Or is drilling always required? That I don't want to do.

Jeff

Look at the Lyman tang sight - no drilling/tapping needed. Just a higher front sight blade, and those can be drifted in and out as needed
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
markovich
Levergunner

Post by markovich »

...wonder about the Lyman 66. I have one on a new 1886 ELR and the slide can be pulled out with your fingers and just the other day,I noticed when you turn the slide over there is a crack on the bottom between the windage nut and the threaded rod.I've had it back to Lyman for looseness problems 2 times already.On a hard kicker,nextime I'll get a Williams Foolproof. The loads used in the 45-70 were only in the 1500-1600fps range.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Careful with the Lyman 66A. I had my EMF Hartford 44 mag drilled and tapped, and put one of these on. Later, I noticed that there was some movement fore and aft in the part that holds the arperture. The vertical slide (if that's what they call it) fits too loose in the dovetail, allowing for wobble that affects a group. When I called Lyman, they said that their specs allow for some movement. Oh really??? said I. Lyman used to make one of the best receiver sites on the market. My 66A will come off in the spring and I'll either put on a Williams FP or put the semibuckhorn back in. None of my other, slightly older, Lyman 66A's have any movement at all. Although the lady said I could send my sight back to them, it's a hell of a thing to notice during deer season! Whatever happened to quality at Lyman, anyway?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have an FP with target knobs on mine. Love it.

Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
granted
Levergunner

Post by granted »

The Williams 5D is a nice sight, close to a foolproof (FP) but not click adjusted, just loosen the screws and slide for windage and elevation. It is simple and very affordable. It is great when you can find one good load, just sight it in and lock it down. Mine is on a .35 Rem "guide gun", works great.

Ed Grant
Merit Corp.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jlchucker wrote:Careful with the Lyman 66A. I had my EMF Hartford 44 mag drilled and tapped, and put one of these on. Later, I noticed that there was some movement fore and aft in the part that holds the arperture. The vertical slide (if that's what they call it) fits too loose in the dovetail, allowing for wobble that affects a group. When I called Lyman, they said that their specs allow for some movement. Oh really??? said I. Lyman used to make one of the best receiver sites on the market. My 66A will come off in the spring and I'll either put on a Williams FP or put the semibuckhorn back in. None of my other, slightly older, Lyman 66A's have any movement at all. Although the lady said I could send my sight back to them, it's a hell of a thing to notice during deer season! Whatever happened to quality at Lyman, anyway?
After comparing the hundred-plus-dollar Lymans and Marbles to the $29 Taurus clone of the Marbles, I bought the Taurus one, because the 'play' in the expensive ones was no less than that of the Taurus.

Overall, I like the Williams FP's best, but the Taurus tang sights (they are getting hard to find though) are easy to put on Pumas, and with a couple dabs of lock-tite or nail polish on the threads, 'gum up' just enough not to bump out of adjustment.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jlchucker wrote:Careful with the Lyman 66A. I had my EMF Hartford 44 mag drilled and tapped, and put one of these on. Later, I noticed that there was some movement fore and aft in the part that holds the arperture. The vertical slide (if that's what they call it) fits too loose in the dovetail, allowing for wobble that affects a group. When I called Lyman, they said that their specs allow for some movement. Oh really??? said I. Lyman used to make one of the best receiver sites on the market. My 66A will come off in the spring and I'll either put on a Williams FP or put the semibuckhorn back in. None of my other, slightly older, Lyman 66A's have any movement at all. Although the lady said I could send my sight back to them, it's a hell of a thing to notice during deer season! Whatever happened to quality at Lyman, anyway?
Not all of the new ones do that. I suspect they b.s. you like that to avoid having to fix them. But if you send it in they will fix it. I sent one in that was not only loose, it's previous owner ( I got it from eBay ) had drilled over sized mounting holes in the base. Lyman replaced the base with a tight fitting one and even sent me new screws and apertures.
Since then I've bought two other new Lyman sights a 66A and a 66LA and both are tight like they should be.

rjohns94,
I've used Williams FP sights for decades and that is the first one I've seen with target knobs. Did you buy it that way, or order it special?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Joe, they are avaiable both ways. I buy most of mine from Brownells because they allways seem to have them in stock and their dealer price is below others unless they are on sale. :D