Better way to use Lee Case Trimmers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Better way to use Lee Case Trimmers

Post by AJMD429 »

Awhile back I posted on chucking the trimmer rather than the case-holder, when using the Lee trimmer. Finally got around to posting the picture.

The reason I don't like the 'factory' method of chucking the case-holder is because you have so much more manipulating to do, and have to keep turning on and off the drill to insert and remove cases. By chucking the trimmer and stud, you can leave the drill on, and quickly insert cases in the holder, trim them, and toss them in your trimmed-bin. You just have to be coordinated enough to get the case on the stud when it is turning, but it isn't hard after you've done a few (it's no harder than putting the stud in a turning case, which is the 'factory' method).

I had a tool shop turn down the handle for me on a lathe so it would fit in a 1/4" chuck.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Better way to use Lee Case Trimmers

Post by mark »

I'm certainly a fan of the Lee trimmers, 22 Hornet, 270W, 30-30, 45-70.

I use a vertical drill press, running fairly slowly, similar setup to you.

I sometimes put a smear of Lee's sizing lubricant on the long stem of the trimmer, sometimes not.

I just batch process them, one after the other.

I suppose I could wear a glove when doing the job, however, if the cutter "grabs" I just let it go, turn off the drill and start over again, no harm done. I'm a bit wary of gloves around rotating machines.

All the best

Mark
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

I suppose I could wear a glove when doing the job, however, if the cutter "grabs" I just let it go, turn off the drill and start over again, no harm done. I'm a bit wary of gloves around rotating machines.

All the best

Mark[/quote]

Mark, you are an OH&S nightmare.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I use the old RCBS trimmer than came with my master reloading kit some 20+ years ago - but for big jobs, I've placed a new screw in the cutter end and chucked it into a drill - works just dandy.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I use my old Lyman case trimmer, and a 3/8 drill motor on the end. Makes fast work of cases and no messing with shell holders with the universal shellholder.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote:I use my old Lyman case trimmer, and a 3/8 drill motor on the end. Makes fast work of cases and no messing with shell holders with the universal shellholder.
The little Lee non-universal ones are fast to use (I don't tighten the ring each time - no need to) but it WOULD be nice to have a one-size-fits-all snap-in shell holder to use with my Cutter and Stud.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

This is for Mark and his drill press...

In my dad's old lock shop, we had a 4" piece of hard plastic tubing glued onto the on/off switch of the drill press -- made it really easy to hit it off quick if needed.

Don't ask "why" we needed that... :D

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH