OT - Single Action Revolver question -(pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

OT - Single Action Revolver question -(pics)

Post by Rogmatt »

I made a mistake.
One of my local gun pawn shops had a Super Dakota in 44 magnum. Imported by Intercontinental from Hammerli in Switzerland. Nice brass dragoon backstrap, wood not bad, and some minor surface rust which I quickly took care of. Looks like about a 5 1/2" barrel.
The one time I do not not look at the bore, I get a surprise after I took it apart. The bore is smooth. I don't mean the rifling is worn, I mean the bore is smooth, like a 410 shotgun bore. I paid about 248.00 for the gun, and it is looking very nice. Has the huge grips like on an 1860 blackpowder pistol.
My question is, what can I do with it? The cylinder gap is almost non-existant, very tight. Maybe short range woods protection or 44 mag rat shot?
I will post a pic when I get it back together.
Last edited by Rogmatt on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep The Faith
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Re: Single Action Revolver question

Post by Lefty Dude »

Sounds like you bought a re-enactor piece or Hollywood gun that fired those 5 in one cartridges.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I'm not totally positive, but I believe the BATFE has some regs against smooth bore handguns. Might want to check that out before you find yourself caught between a rock and a hard place.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think you need to take it back. The shop should suck up an illegal firearm... It would have to be rebarreled OR the barrel rifled. I don't think I would consider one of these for conversion to a 5-shot .50 Linebaugh or something...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Are you sure that the gun doesn't have polygonal riflling?
Polygonal rifling does not have any sharp edges and looks very much like a smooth bore.

Jack
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't believe that model was ever offered with polygonal rifling but it would be worth a second look.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

Double check it is not full of lead. Get a oversize brush, brass and work on it some you might start getting some lead out. Just a thought.
Rob
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rogmatt »

I am going to scrub the heck out of it with an oversized brush & see what happens. It does look a tad dirty.
Keep The Faith
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Rogmatt wrote:I am going to scrub the heck out of it with an oversized brush & see what happens. It does look a tad dirty.
I do say, that would be pretty funny to find it full of lead like that. :lol: I hope that it gets straightened out for you.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Happened on two Llama Comanches I bought, sorry I did not think of it when I first read the post.
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rogmatt »

I scrubbed it with 20 ga & 12 ga brushes for a long time. Run Never Dull pads down it, and scrubbed more with the brushes.
The bore looks nice and shiney now, but no rifling. However, it may be an optical illusion, but I think I am seeing what looks like surface swirls, but is not rifling. For the most part, it looks like a 410 smoothbore.
Barrel is marked "Super Dakota 44 Magnum"
Keep The Faith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Take it back to the seller.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Looks like a candidate for a 45LC conversion to me.
Ed
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kansas Ed wrote:Looks like a candidate for a 45LC conversion to me.
Ed
If the seller won't take it back, that sounds like an EXCELLENT alternative.

Several other importers offered Hammerli revolvers under different names, but I don't recall them all... I believe that the Interarms Virginian Dragoon was one, you might search around for a replacement barrel... I didn't find one @ Numrich, but... maybe a phone call to them could help sift thru the possibilities.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Looking here in the Hammerli section: http://books.google.com/books?id=64y8aM ... &ct=result

All indications are that the barrel should be rifled. It's either been shot out, leaded over or mabye converted to blanks for re-enacting?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

If I was going to keep it, I would immediately take the barrel off, just in case.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Rogmatt,

"Super Dakota 44 Magnum"? Is it like this one?:

http://www.iltiro.com/tiroavolo/tiroavo ... ate&id=107

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Single Action Revolver question

Post by mescalero1 »

Nice looking gun.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

J Miller wrote:I'm not totally positive, but I believe the BATFE has some regs against smooth bore handguns. Might want to check that out before you find yourself caught between a rock and a hard place.

Joe
MOST DEFINITELY!!!

The BAT-men take a very dim view of smooth-bore revolvers. Contact them ASAP! (I sure did hate typing that last sentence!)
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Contact the seller first. Tell them they have sold you an illegal gun and you want your money back right now. If they balk or refuse call the BATF and put the screws to them. Make sure you have the reciepts to show the bat boys. Don't let it bite you in the rear. Simply disassembling that gun is not enough. The receiver IS the gun. With that smooth bore barrel on it, it is still illegal.

Joe
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rogmatt »

The pic posted above by hagler is correct.

here it is:

I think I am going to just going to see if someone wants to take it off my hands if the shop resists.
Keep The Faith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rogmatt wrote:The pic posted above by hagler is correct.

here it is:

I think I am going to just going to see if someone wants to take it off my hands if the shop resists.
STOP!!!! If you sell that gun you will be committing a crime that the BATFE will crucify you for.
TAKE THAT GUN BACK TO THE SELLER. If the seller refuses to take it back, then do as Doc Hudson said and call the BATFE. Show them the receipts and let them take it from there. YOU NEED TO DO THIS RIGHT!

Joe
Rogmatt
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - Single Action Revolver question -(pics)

Post by Rogmatt »

J

I don't need a public butt chewing. You act as if I have already sold it privately. I have not done so. I am going to try to take it back, but this is one of the few small shops left in my area, and I don't want to pee them off from giving me anymore deals with legit good guns in the future, and I don't want to get them shut down. Like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
You are jumping to conclusions and convicting me for thinking out loud. I don't need or want a lecture, and if you are just feeling so superior that you need to do so, do it in a PM. Thanks for your consideration, and no need for angry red, bold, oversized text, which is exposing your temper. I have been more courteous to you, than you have been to me.
Keep The Faith
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT - Single Action Revolver question -(pics)

Post by J Miller »

Well, Rogmatt, I was just trying to stop you from doing something it looked as if you were about to do. Sorry if you took it wrong.

As for me feeling superior, not at all. In a situation like this, I would care about me a lot more than the gun shop. They acquired an illegal gun and without knowing it sold it to you. What's more important, them or you? CYA

Hope you get this all squared away.

I'll say no more.

Joe