.22LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

.22LR

Post by Modoc ED »

I think the most common firearm (handgun/long gun) cartridge/caliber is the .22LR .

If you don't own a .22LR firearm, go out immediately and buy one -- pistol, revolver, rifle -- it doesn't matter. Just go out and buy one. Then lay in a "gazillion" (Hobie, I like that word) rounds for it. .22LR is the cheapest ammon on the market.

Some say a .22LR is useless for self-defense but you'd be hard pressed telling that to all the people who have been killed by the .22LR round. I had a young man that worked for me in the Navy who applied for Navy Seal School and who became a Navy Seal. He told me over a beer once that they (the Seals) could count on a clean kill with a .22LR .

You can keep yourself and your family well fed with a .22LR and protect yourself from predators of all kinds.

Go get your gun now and don't forget to buy a gazillion (Hobie, there's that word again) rounds for it.

If you've already got a .22LR firearm, go out and buy a gazillion (I know Hobie, I know) rounds of .22LR ammo. Doesn't matter what kind or what brand -- just buy it.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Re: .22LR

Post by Hobie »

I'm not like one fella who has about 250K rounds of .22 LR but I have saved up a bunch.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I bought 1k rounds yesterday. On sale for $14 a brick.

Pharmseller
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I am picking up my '92 lever in .357 worked over by NKJ today. When I do, I will pick up another two bricks of .22lr for my lever rifle and semi-rifle, and my Walther PP in thatcaliber. Great idea. I'm also laying in more primers, powder and bullets and lead for the .357s in my life. I have plenty laid in for my 45-70s and 30-30s.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Doing my after action inventory, one of the ones that came out was my Ruger Mark II Target.
I have to say that this gun is the most " prolific " gun of all of them.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Wow Ed,

something we agree on. amazing.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

As the late great Bill Jordan once said:

The only cartridge to kill more men than the .38 Special is the .22 Rimfire.

Old Bill was right, the .22 is a great man-killer. Unfortunately it ain't the best man-stopper.

IMO, anyone who does not own at least one .22 rifle and at least one .22 handgun has no right to be considered a real gun crank. (I'm down to one .22 rifle, but it is the best in the world, and five .22 handguns, one of which is junk and another that is a total POC.)
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Grizz wrote:Wow Ed,

something we agree on. amazing.
Well hell Grizz, I go along with ya 99.9% of the time.

I think you're like me sometimes -- ya just gotta yank somebody's chain sometimes just to get the juices flowing. :)

In the end, it's all good.
ED
Yer never too old
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pharmseller wrote:I bought 1k rounds yesterday. On sale for $14 a brick.

Pharmseller
Pharmseller,
Where was it on sale? I'm needing a couple more bricks of .22s. And so far I haven't seen them that cheep.

As for acquiring a .22 I already have several. Ammo maybe be cheep, but for some reason I just don't shoot them much.

A am NOT going to part with them though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Yep...a man is naked without a good 22 rifle and pistol. My Marlin 39A is so quiet it's more like an air rifle. My single six has almost no b/c gap and is super quiet as well. Both are very accurate.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now Doc, just what is the best 22 rifle in the world?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

J Miller wrote:
pharmseller wrote:I bought 1k rounds yesterday. On sale for $14 a brick.

Pharmseller
Pharmseller,
Where was it on sale? I'm needing a couple more bricks of .22s. And so far I haven't seen them that cheep.

As for acquiring a .22 I already have several. Ammo maybe be cheep, but for some reason I just don't shoot them much.

Joe - How much you shoot them isn't the point really. One of the points to me is that I can carry/transport a .22LR firearm and 2-thousand rounds of ammo easily in a hurry if need be. Can you imagine trying to transport 2-thousand rounds of .45LC easily or perhaps 2-thousand rounds of .45-70 easily in a hurry?

A am NOT going to part with them though.

Joe
ED
Yer never too old
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

Correct me if I am wrong (as I know you will) but did not Castro take Cuba with the Rem nylon 66's? Were they not the basic armament at the beginning?
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Old Savage wrote:Now Doc, just what is the best 22 rifle in the world?
Marlin Golden Model 39-A!
What else could possibly fit the description?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Modoc ED wrote:imagine trying to transport 2-thousand rounds of .45LC easily or perhaps 2-thousand rounds of .45-70 easily in a hurry?

That is the very reason the Good Lord invented Pack Mules. :mrgreen:

Image Image
UNITE!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ed, yessirreee, the 22 is one of the great cartridges of all time.
It's nice now that Federal offers several grades of ammo in the bulk packs, even the match stuff is affordable that way. Remingtons golden bullets in the 500+ bulk packs have become a large part of my prairie dog control efforts, and making one shot kills to 200 yds is much more possible than folks think.
Heck even the Aquila golden eagle match ammo at 30 $ per 500 is still cheaper than most anything I can reload in my centerfires.
Long live the 22 :!:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'm stocking up on .22Lr.and .22Mag. And I've advised GK Jr to do the same.
The darn things are so much fun to shoot it's hard to know when to stop. :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

paid 11.99 tonight for a brick of Remington. Bought 2000 primers.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Yep, Gotta have a 22 or three or four.

4 22 lr rifles:

Stevens Favorite
Marlin 39
Winchester 52
Savage MKII GL (left handed for the neice)

2 22 lr handguns:

1946 Iver Johnson Supershot Sealed Eight DA revolver
S&W 41 bought today, pick it up in 10 days (needed a pick-me-up after yesterday)

I need to get another M39 and another revolver or two.

Oh yeah, I feed everything Winchester T22 target ammo and only have about 7K in stock
(need to order another case at $250-300 now).
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That was what I did yesterday. I voted, then I went by Wally World, bought two bulk packs of Federal Match, then I went to work.

Normal price for Federal 550 round packs is $14 and change.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Modoc ED wrote: I think the most common firearm (handgun/long gun) cartridge/caliber is the .22LR .
No doubt about that! :D
Modoc ED wrote: If you don't own a .22LR firearm, go out immediately and buy one -- pistol, revolver, rifle -- it doesn't matter. Just go out and buy one. Then lay in a "gazillion" (Hobie, I like that word) rounds for it. .22LR is the cheapest ammon on the market.
+ a gazillion! :wink:

Seriously - everyone should have at least on .22. Scratch that - at least two - one handgun and one long gun. Scratch that - at least six. A single-action, a double-action and a semi-automatic .22 LR handguns and a bolt-action, lever-action and semi-automatic .22 LR rifles. :D :D :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Let's see...

AirLite
9 Shot HighStandard
MKII Gubment Target
SingleSix w/mag cyl
Model 72 Winny
Old Browning .22 Auto
Very old Primier pump
39A
39 Mounty
9422 Mag
NEF .22/.410

I could stand another 10 bricks of Federal ValPac and a couple bricks of .22mag.

I like .22s 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Smart men , here
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

It would be interesting to hear opinions on different .22RF ammo for various purposes, such as solid vs. hp for hunting, defense, etc. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

claybob86 wrote:It would be interesting to hear opinions on different .22RF ammo for various purposes, such as solid vs. hp for hunting, defense, etc. :)
I agree. Start a thread on it - I bet it becomes popular very quick! :D
Dyerbill
Levergunner

Post by Dyerbill »

I own four 22lr pistols and four 22lr rifles. I prefer to shoot them over anything else I own. I could not agree more; if you don't have a 22lr..........run out and buy one you won't regret it! 8)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dyerbill wrote:I own four 22lr pistols and four 22lr rifles. I prefer to shoot them over anything else I own. I could not agree more; if you don't have a 22lr..........run out and buy one you won't regret it! 8)
Especially now - while you can... (oops - don't want to push this thread over to the "politics" board! :shock: )
gunslinger598
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gunslinger598 »

I need to pick up a .22 rifle & pistol. I gave the last one to my youngest son who just turned 23. It belonged to his great grandfather, Grandfather, then me.

I buy up .22 ammo from time to time just so that I'll be well stocked when I do find another one.
AQHA Life Member
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I'd like to get me one of those black rifles................ Apache Black that is, or better yet one of the Mohawk Brown Remington Nylon 66. It will go well with my Marlin and Winchester levers, and the K-22 and Ruger MKII handguns. I too need to lay in another case or two of .22s.