Savage 99 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Savage 99 Question

Post by Goat »

I recently bought my first Savage 99. It is a late production 99A with a tang safety.Caliber is 250/3000. It shoots wonderfully well with most of the nine or ten loads tried going into 1-1/2".I have one load that is going well under an inch. The question has to do with an extraction. Sometimes it extracts properly and some times it does not when the extractor slips over the rim. It does seem to work better if the lever is worked briskly but this does not always work either.It always extracts the spent case if the lever is closed and then re-opened. What is going on??? I have looked at the extractor and it appears fine with a sharp "claw." Help me please.
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
Hobie

Re: Savage 99 Question

Post by Hobie »

I don't know, but I'd like to. Mine is like yours but in .308 Win.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pepe Ray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pepe Ray »

If you look at the fine print in the RCBS catalog you'll note that the Small base and ultra small base dies are made specifically to address the weak extraction problems exhibited by semi autos and Sav. M99 chambers.
Pepe Ray
P.S. There are exceptions of course.
Jesus is the way.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Pepe Ray,
Thanks, and no; I did not read the fine print
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Does it do it with factory ammo? If not, I agree with Pepe Ray that you need small base resizing dies along with a good chamber cleaning, maybe even polishing it a bit. If that fails, buy a new extractor as the "spring" may be weak.-------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

could it be that it works better with a certain brand of brass-slightly bigger case head?