94 weak ejoector - need parts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
30hrrtt
Levergunner

94 weak ejoector - need parts

Post by 30hrrtt »

Thanks to answers on an earlier post I was able to determine my ejection problems on my 94 ae Trapper. The ejector is very worn. Exactly where it touches the cartridge case. Looks like almost a 1/16" step. The spring is also almost non existant. Two questions.

Where can I get the parts as Numrich, Brownells, etc don't have them.

How much firing would this gun have had to go through to get that much wear on the extractor? Was it poorly made to begin with? Anybody else have had this problem? It is in the 6,200,00 serial number production.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 94 weak ejoector - need parts

Post by J Miller »

30hrrtt wrote:Thanks to answers on an earlier post I was able to determine my ejection problems on my 94 ae Trapper. The ejector is very worn. Exactly where it touches the cartridge case. Looks like almost a 1/16" step. The spring is also almost non existant. Two questions.

Where can I get the parts as Numrich, Brownells, etc don't have them.

How much firing would this gun have had to go through to get that much wear on the extractor? Was it poorly made to begin with? Anybody else have had this problem? It is in the 6,200,00 serial number production.
Call Browning / Winchester for parts.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/parts/terms.asp
They made 'em, they stock the parts for 'em.
If the ejector is that worn it was either bubba'd or defective. There is no way the ejector spring can be non existent without outside help.

I've shot thousands of rounds through my 94AE Trapper .45 Colt and it's suffered no abnormal wear problems at all. A call to the factory will get you the parts.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
timkelley
Levergunner 1.0

Post by timkelley »

My 357 trapper SN;6,520,xxx has broken two ejectors and two springs. You can get the parts from Browning/Winchester as per the answer above and they are not overly expensive. I want to know why thet break.
Thanx, Tim Kelley
NRA Life
SFC US Army Ret.
30hrrtt
Levergunner

Post by 30hrrtt »

I took it apart today. The spring got bigger on one end and is very weak. It is the first time I had a 94 apart. I have a 94 in 32 winchester special my grandfather bought in the early 1940's. He bought it used. It is as good as new 70 years later. Don't learn much when a firearm never has any problems. You just keep using it.

Thanks for the link. I'll order a new one for my infant 94.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kelly,

Although I've never owned or fired a Win 94AE in .357 mag, there seems to be many more complaints about that caliber than all of the others combined.
I know that the 94 AE's in the larger .44 and .45 caliber handgun rounds don't seem to have much trouble at all. Those case rims are very close to the original 30-30 rim size.
I'm thinking it's the smaller diameter of the .357 case and rim and the extra design changes they had to make to get the action to work with them that's causing most of the problems. There just isn't as much room for error in these as there are in the larger HG caliber 94AEs.

30hrrtt,

One thing you might notice is the ejector on the AE models is a dog leg affair while the one on your grandfathers is straight. You can see it if you open the action and look up through the bottom with a flashlight. I think that sometimes this puts a strain on the ejector and causes them to wear and break.
Also in all the Winchester parts manuals, from the 1960s on, the handgun caliber 94s use a different, weaker or less strong, ejector spring than the rifle caliber versions do.

I don't know what any of this has to contribute to your specific rifles problems but they are things to think on.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***