OT: Weight of .454" lead balls

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Weight of .454" lead balls

Post by J Miller »

I know I could look this up if I dug out my books, but I'm all tuckered out from building my "lil red wagon".

Do you muzzle loader guy have the weights for .454" lead balls?
I want to build some gallery loads similar to the one W30WCF sent me some time back. Got the cases and primers. I'll have to acquire the balls and decided on a powder charge. Then build some.

I have no idea why I wanna do this, but I wanna do this.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Weight of .454" lead balls

Post by O.S.O.K. »

142 grains +/- depending on the alloy. .452" are 140.

And this is not that strange - I recall seeing loads listed for this as a matter of fact. You need to crimp the case neck to prevent the ball from moving back into the case.

I think you can actually get two balls to fit in the case as well - for a defense load.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sounds interesting! What weapon are you building the loads for?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have lead .457's that go +/- 147gr, if that helps. These loads you speak of sound interesting, you should keep us posted of any findings.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

This is just an experiment for a light quiet big bore gallery load. My plan is to get the balls, lube them with LLA, and seat them over a light charge of either Bullseye or Win 231. Maybe IMR PB, I got some of that too. Just for the fun of making a light, short range, target load.
I figure it will work good in all my .45 Colt revolvers. Not sure I'd try it in a rifle.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Well I hope you get the balls to do it.

:D

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I used a .311 RB in my .30-30 cases. Just put a drop if the LLA on top of the ball after it seated in place.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Joe, For a foolin around indoor gallery load, I drilled a few special Cowboy .45 Special cases to accept 209 primers (hand seated), and using a fired case, thumb seated 87 grain .410 slugs that had been reformed to .452 (belled with a tapered punch, then sized with a .452 lubrisizer die). press em in with the thumb till even with the case mouth, insert the 209, and shazaam, a quiet gallery load (bullets reused several times when a wadded towel was used inside the target box to trap em) ;)
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

adirondakjack wrote:Joe, For a foolin around indoor gallery load, I drilled a few special Cowboy .45 Special cases to accept 209 primers (hand seated), and using a fired case, thumb seated 87 grain .410 slugs that had been reformed to .452 (belled with a tapered punch, then sized with a .452 lubrisizer die). press em in with the thumb till even with the case mouth, insert the 209, and shazaam, a quiet gallery load (bullets reused several times when a wadded towel was used inside the target box to trap em) ;)
Hmmmmm, that sounds interesting.

Joe
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bogie35 wrote:Well I hope you get the balls to do it.

:D

bogie
Oy vey! :roll: