OT: vets in the house - ailing kittens- update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: vets in the house - ailing kittens- update

Post by J Miller »

Three weeks ago we rescued four half starved kittens from under a shed behind where my wife works. The momma cat was there then disappeared. The kittens were malnourished but basically healthy. We cleaned them up, fed them - a lot, and got them to a vet at the no-kill shelter for a check up. We wanted to leave the kittens there for adoption, but they could not take any more. So since we are kitten sitting them the vets services were free. Had to deworm them. They were maybe 5 weeks old when we got them, too young for shots.

Two days ago the smallest kitten started sleeping too much. Then she was limping on the right front, then left, then the rear. She got weak and started running a fever. We fed her some condensed milk and that seemed to pull her around. After 24 hours she seemed to start bouncing back.
Now her two brothers have the same symptoms. The poor little things look like arthritic old men the way they are cripping around.
So far the fourth kitten, a female has not come down with what ever this is.

We have the second vet appointment tomorrow afternoon, it was set up at the first one. But I was wondering if anybody here had any ideas of what's hitting these little kittens.

So far our adult cats show no symptoms of anything.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Any veterinarians in the house - ailing kittens

Post by mklwhite »

What is the color of their tongues? Some neighbors a while back had some kittens that acted sort of similar. Tired and almost drunk for lack of better terminology. Those kittens tongues were very pale colored. They were anemic. Fed them some baby formula with iron and some milk with Blackstrap Molasses in it and they started doing better. Don't know if this is the answer, but that's all I've got.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Joe, try some condensed goat's milk with a scoop of protein powder. Goats milk is available at many grocery stores. It is known as the "universal" milk that can be used with many species. However, it lacks enough protein like all milks do except for those especially formulated for cats (that from my local vet). I had two sick kittens who had cold symptoms and mucus in their eyes. The vet told me about the lack of protein in goats milk, so I "spiked" the goats milk with some protein powder I had around (get the sort that digests easy). I fed it to the little guys with a bottle and the illness cleared up in 24 hours!

Kittens also frequently suffer from "sudden kitten death". They may need a heating pad to sleep on still. I don't do animal rescue but I did consult with someone who does and emphasized the heating pad for a while until they were bigger. They might not need it at 5 weeks, but it couldn't hurt. If their stools are too soft or runny, you can add some pumpkin preserves like you use for pies to the milk. It has a lot of fiber in it. Just a little goes a long way, so be careful.

Good luck, Joe!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Not a vet but have raised quite a few animals. Sounds like your tracking. Regular milk that we drink isnt quite enough for them. IMO keep doing what your doing. There is a nursing milk substitue that you can buy but it isnt cheap. Keep using regular milk with added molasass or infant formula, they are old enough that they should pull through.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I forgot to add that your supposed to dilute the condensed goats milk with water 50/50. Infant formula could very well work too. They do need vitamins and protein somehow. I believe goat's milk is supposed to work because its easier to digest than cow milk.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Cow's milk is bad for cats. They have a hard time digesting it right. You can also get help at http://www.catforum.com/ Just keep in mind they're cat people on that forum :D
I am American
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Just keep in mind they're cat people on that forum
And a lot of them are NOT people people. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

We haven't been giving them regular cows milk. We've been giving them the canned evaporated milk. The only place that has the specialty KMR milk for nursing cats and kittens is clear across town. We've got to get some though.
These kittens were malnourished when we got them, so the possibility of anemia does not surprise me.
Wifie just checked the cabinet and found some molasses. We're gonna add that to the evap milk.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll do what we can.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

It is the attempt to help the helpless that matters, we do not always succed; but it is the attempt that seperates us.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Most grocery stores have canned condensed goat's milk in the baking section. That's what I used when I found a small kitten in my driveway that had been abandoned by her mother. Unfortunately, I lost her almost a year later when I moved :cry:
I am American
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

Most grocery stores have canned condensed goat's milk in the baking section. That's what I used when I found a small kitten in my driveway that had been abandoned by her mother. Unfortunately, I lost her almost a year later when I moved :cry:
I am American
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: vets in the house - ailing kittens- update

Post by J Miller »

Got the little guys to the vet today. The vet checked the two sickest ones and diagnosed them with what they called Calici virus. Sort of a flu like illness. Said there was no medication for it, just keep them eating and hydrated. He said their immune system has already kicked in and they should be OK.
That was good news.
Unfortunatly we may have one or two of our older kitties down with this too. Arrrrgh!!

Well, another day older and deeper in debt ...... I owe my soul to the local vet!

Joe
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Joe, My wife was raising some kittens that lost their mother a couple months ago. They had the same symptoms as yours. At one time she even thought they were all dead. Then they'd be up and around a little later. They also lost tufts of fur. She'd been giving them lamb milk replacer and also mixing that with ground up dry cat food. The vet said that it's too rich a diet and that was causing part of the problems. He made my wife buy some regular kitten chow, mix that with water to make a soft food, leave them water, and access to dry kitten chow for self feeding. They straightened right out and it wasn't long before they were just attacking the normal dry kitten chow.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well Joe, at least you have "control" of your cats. Mom's most adventurous somehow got past us out the door without our noticing and is now out in the cold. I've seen him several times but can't get him to come. I've put food and water outside for him. I wouldn't care much but I promised Mom...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

We have a rescued feral cat that lives in our basement. She's barely touchable under certain limited circumstances. Once several years ago she slipped outside. Not a chance of catching her. So we just let her get hungry. One day as our other people friendly kitties were coming back in the house she slipped in too.

Since then she's made no effort to slip out.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Hobie,

We have a rescued feral cat that lives in our basement. She's barely touchable under certain limited circumstances. Once several years ago she slipped outside. Not a chance of catching her. So we just let her get hungry. One day as our other people friendly kitties were coming back in the house she slipped in too.

Since then she's made no effort to slip out.

Joe
Mom's don't go in and out, just in. A neighbor MIGHT be feeding him. If so, I'll never catch him.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, maybe he'll find a new home. One more to his and your liking. I've seen cats do that.

Joe