New Savage 99's???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

New Savage 99's???

Post by nralover »

I saw a vague mention in another thread about the Savage 99 being reintroduced? Is this true- if so my tax rebate might already be spoken for:)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Savage 99's???

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, it's still just a rumor, started (I believe) at the S.H.O.T. show this Spring by a Savage rep - prolly to see what kind of feedback/reaction they'd get, before deciding to take the plunge.

TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I have seen a copy of the letter from Savage president/CEO Roy Coburn. It is not a rumor. The rifle is scheduled to be reintroduced in 2009 in three grades. They are supposed to have the rotary magazine and good walnut stocks.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

While I have seen pictures of Savage 99's, (they sort of remind me of Ruger lever actions), I have never handled one.

My question is why are they considered to be that good?
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

UncleBuck wrote:While I have seen pictures of Savage 99's, (they sort of remind me of Ruger lever actions), I have never handled one.

My question is why are they considered to be that good?
The Rugers deliberately evoked 99 nostalgia. Why were the 99s considered good? Quality of mfg to start. Then, excellence of design including ability to handle some rather zippy cartridges, spire point bullets, a variety of sights including scope sights without the necessity of mounting to the side, and good handling characteristics (although they might not have that look). That is just a start.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The Savage Mdl 99 is the one lever action rifle I always wanted, but found unobtainable. While Win 94s were easy to find and affordable to a guy on a budget, the Mdl 99s were rarely seen and very expensive.
I would love to have one in 308 Winchester with the rotary magazine if that variation was made.
Maybe some day.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
slimster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by slimster »

Was there any mention of what chambering options would be available? It would be real nice if the 300 and 250-3000 Savage rounds were to be offered in addition to newer rounds such as the 308, 7mm08, etc.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

I'm looking forward to this re-introduction of a true classic. I currently have two of them. a 250 and a 308; and look forward to acquiring one more, chambered in .300 Savage.

Switching gears a bit.......Hobie, I recall that you obtained one recently. How is it shootin for you?????
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

PaperPatch wrote:I'm looking forward to this re-introduction of a true classic. I currently have two of them. a 250 and a 308; and look forward to acquiring one more, chambered in .300 Savage.

Switching gears a bit.......Hobie, I recall that you obtained one recently. How is it shootin for you?????
You're right, I did get a .308 99A. Unfortunately, familial responsibilities have prevented me from shooting it more than a couple of rounds. I do need to get it out... :oops:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BestLever
Levergunner

Post by BestLever »

Hello Riflemen-A Savage 99 in 250-3000 would fulfill a long standing desire of mine. I would designate it my timber and mountain coyote rifle and still hunting Blacktail buck rifle amoung other things. I have a friend who has this rifle and over many years I have been unable to pry it loose from him. This rifle style and caliber in good condition would be a real prize for me. Life is good, BestLever
Life is Good,

BestLever
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

Love my 99's ... and if they came out with a cal I liked better than
358win and 7mm-08 .. I'd get a new one :-)

I have a 99 in 300sav, 2 in 7mm-08, and 1 in 358win.

and see you can see the 7mm08 manlicher works,

granted due to an injury I haven't had the ablity to get the 99F my wife
had rebarreled to 7mm-08 scoped and sighted in :-(

but the 358 is ready to go :-)

so if they start making them again or if you can lay your hand on one .. they are
great rifles .....

I Love My 99's

Talon
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Nice deer and rifle....but if you don't mind me saying Talon, you have a unique face as well.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Bestlever,
I have a 250-3000, straight grip, slim, trim, handy.
I know why you have not been able to get it.
Those of us who have them are loath to let them go.
TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

I am betting that they will offer the new ones in 308, 7-08 and 243. I would not rule out the possibility of a brand new cartridge being introduced. With a little luck they will give a nod to the traditionalists and offer it in the 250 and 300 Savage. It seems like the starting prices I saw quoted were around $650 for the basic grade. From all I have read and the people I have talked to, it sounds like they plan to do it right this time. In other words, no birch stocks, ugly pressed checkering, ill-fitting stocks, clips etc.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have a 99a .308wcf with rotary mag. great rifle for nort american game. seems to kick harder than a .308 should. other than that, :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I have seen a copy of the letter from Savage president/CEO Roy Coburn. It is not a rumor.]

Was the letter dated after Savage got feedback from S.H.O.T. , TNBigBore ?

TNBigBore
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TNBigBore »

Pete, It was not that I know of. The topic was batted around pretty well over on the Savage collectors forum at 24hourcampfire about six months ago if memory serves. At that point, it seemed like a done deal with photoscopies of Coburn's letter being imaged etc. As recently as two or three months ago a forum member took a tour of the Savage plant guided by Coburn himself. After looking for a bit, I can't seem to find the thread over there. The person that took the tour with Coburn was told without a doubt that the 99 would be back for 2009 in the three grades with ther rotary mag etc. If there has been new info since the S.H.O.T. show I had not heard it. I apologize for the tease if so.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

Bridger wrote:Nice deer and rifle....but if you don't mind me saying Talon, you have a unique face as well.
why thank you .. I like the look my self .. lolololololol

is this better ???

and I'm glad to hear if the new 99's come they won't have mags :-(
that's the reason I hate my 99C ... feeds like stuff .. I bitched
about it so much my wife had a 99F rebarred to 7mm08 ...

anyway .. looking forward to seeing the new 99's if they come out ..

Talon

oh and the deer was mighty tasty :-) :-)
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

It is coming and it will feature the rotary mag. I have " heard" they have worked up the stones to offer it in .358. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. 1886.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hi guys. I realize I'm partially to blame for this rumor. However, I do think it is true. I also saw the letter posted by the President of Savage Arms some time ago. Furthermore, while at the Billy Dixon event, I had a lot of time with my friend Mic McPherson who has very close ties with Savage. They chamber some of his proprietary SMc cartridges. Anyhow, Mic told me to expect the new Savage to come out at the next SHOTSHOW in Florida in '09. He seemed to think some neat cartridges based on the 284 Winchester (one of Mic's favorite parent cases for wildcats) would be coming out. It is difficult to say for sure what caliber the initial offering will be, but rest assured the rifle is coming. I'd bank on it.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

This is good news! I've wanted a Savage 99 for a long time. :D
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

If they DO NOT offer it with the rotary magazine they will be wasting their time. This is what Savage 99 shooters want. A good question is whether it will be brass or steel. I'd prefer brass but would buy either. I'm hoping for a straight grip with the following chamberings: 250 Savage, 300 Savage and 358 Win. One preference I have, though, has to do with the location of the safety. The top tang one on later 99's is convenient for both righties and lefties but you cannot "uncock" the rifle. The less convenient sliding safety (near the lever) on earlier ones not only locks the lever in the closed position, but also allows the trigger to be squeezed while closing the lever thus permitting one to decock the action.
chadbr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by chadbr »

Someone from 24hour campfire recently visited the factory and said the CEO told him they would be doing the 99 again soon... I don't believe until I see.

chad
Coldfingers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Coldfingers »

I took my very first deer with a 99 chambered in the 250/3000 when I was 13. The rifle belonged to a freind of the family.

Have spent the last fourty years looking for one...

Would make a heck of a wolf rifle. I bet it would slip right into the spot on my "sled" where the little Marlin 94C rides. A bit more zip for the wintertime varmints! Prolly have to put a scope on it just to see how far at shoots :oops:

Scotty
Porquipines are peacefull creatures but God still saw fit to give them quills