Need some Winchester Calendar Input

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Need some Winchester Calendar Input

Post by KirkD »

Gents, I working on putting together a Winchester levergun calendar with photos of old Winchesters for the upcoming year. I'm getting it done by a web company on the internet and have to work within the templates they offer. One has huge pictures, 11" high x 17" wide and the other has the more standard 8 & 1/2" high x 11" wide. I was thinking of putting a bit of information on each Winchester in each photo as shown in the example below. I can't put it at the bottom, because the wire coil cuts too far into the bottom of the photo. I can't put it too close to the top, either, because the hole for hanging is there.

Questions for those who might be interested in ordering one:

1. Would you rather just have the photo with no info at all, or have the insert with a bit of info (model, year made, caliber, etc.)?

2. I'm making the 8&1/2" x 11 calendar for sure, but would anyone be interested in the huge one? (cost is roughly $15 for the little one and $19 for the big one, plus shipping .... I don't set the costs, the interenet service does)? My only concern with the huge one is that they recommend photos with 200 DPI, but they say 150 DPI will do. My photos are 150 to 180 dpi, so I don't know what the photos will look like. They will certainly look good on the normal size calendar.

Shown below is the finished calendar cover and a sample page with the info inserted into the photo, so you can see whether you like info or no info. Please ignore the typo in the info on the sample January photo. The real lower line caption will probably read something like 'This old 30 W.C.F. carbine was shipped from the Winchester factory in 1913'
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need some Winchester Calendar Input

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I really like the idea of the info for each rifle,it just makes it complete in my way of thinking. I am looking forward to one. When can we start our orders?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I like the idea with info added but instead of an inset that covers up part of the photo would prefer the text blended in the scene...Please excuse my clumsy photo edit....
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Kirk, I like the calendar idea. I will purchase one with the 8 1/2x11 pics.I also like the small comment about each rifle on the pic. Could the pic be cropped to 8x11 with the comment placed at the bottom in the 1/2 in area? I hope you will include a M-71 on your calendar.Good luck!! :wink:
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Put me in for one (at least) of the small ones. I do like the information for each rifle. I can't begin to tell you how many calendars I've looked and said: " I wonder where that is?" The information just completes the photo.
Also I kind of agree with Ben, rather than put in a box for the info that blocks out part of the photo, put the text on the picture.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Kirk,

I've been waiting and would like to get at least three, er, make that five (5). I prefer the inset as it is easier for geezers (like me, with bifocals) to read. 8½x11 is pretty good to start given your DPI. You want a quality appearance and you might be displeased with the larger format calendar. Lets face it, for the hard core collector only life size 3-d functioning models will really satisfy them. I believe your photos sell guns. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I wan't one, and I'll take it any way I can get it.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Kirk, This is a great idea! I want 2 myself in the smaller size. And I do think the info. on each one is a good thing. I like to know the age and caliber of the rifles.
My hat's off to you for coming up with this idea. :D
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

Put me down for 2 of the bigger one. Will there be a centrefold? :wink: :mrgreen:
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Kirk,
I am very happy to see this project coming along.

I like the caption with the info.

And I like the smaller size.
DavidS
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DavidS »

Kirk,
Put me down for 2 copies of your calendar. I like the idea of a brief history insert about the guns in the photos.
David S
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for the good ideas and input. The idea of cropping the photo to keep the text at the bottom, outside the photo, is a good one. Just to clarify, the way the internet company works, I won't be taking orders myself, it will be done on the website. When the calendar is ready, I'll post the link for those who want one. It will probably still be another week or two.

If I can get the hang of this, I'd like to do another one with vintage John Deere tractors, but not this year.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Let me know about the tractors, my friend has one he rebuilt & I did some machine work for him on it.
It would be a hoot to see it in a calender ( he did that good a job on it )
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

This is great news.
What you are doing is fine.
8 1/2 X 11 is the way to go in my opinion.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I like the 8 1/2 X 11 cropped with words on the bottom that aren't in the photo. The words in the photo interferes with the picture as a whole , takes your eye away from the subject matter . I'll buy one either way.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

KirK,

Can the info be placed on the calender page, instead of the photo? many of my sailing calenders have the info below the picture on the calender portion. that would leave the picture untouched. I would order several small versions

Mike
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Men, thanks to your input, I figured out a way to put the info at the bottom of the photo. Putting it on the date page was not an option with the company for tiny little runs like mine. However, the new format looks much better.
Thanks again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have people who'd enjoy the John Deere calendar, too, including my grandson! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Here's what the final layout of the picture will look like. The extra space under the caption is for the wire coil binding.
Thanks again for your input.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirk - these are going to sell like hotcakes. I can't wait!!! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I am not given to emotionalism,
but that SHINES
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

KirkD wrote:Here's what the final layout of the picture will look like. The extra space under the caption is for the wire coil binding.
WE HAVE A WINNER! I like this layout. I have an old Winchester 94 with a half-octagon barrel I inherited from my grandfather if you need more subjects! :)
I am American
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There are a lot of old Winchesters, Marlins and Savages owned by members of this board that I would love to photograph. The next best thing might be to give some guidelines to members (lighting, composition, pixel size of camera) and then collect a bunch for next year's calendar. I've got more than enough for this year, but not enough for next year. Perhaps members can look at the upcoming photos in the 2009 calendar and get ideas for layout and composition that might get the creative photos. Getting this calendar put together is a little more work than I thought, but I'm starting to get the hang of it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sounds like you've got a business trip/vacation planned. There's some particular collections you should go after like Mike D.'s and OD's (and you can do some 1911s there).
Sincerely,

Hobie

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

..... not to mention some of those beautiful Marlins and Ballards that Val has let us see from time to time.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

KirkD wrote:..... not to mention some of those beautiful Marlins and Ballards that Val has let us see from time to time.
Yeah, you have 2 calendars a year right there! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this one and the tractors,plus the idea of more to come.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I vote for the final layout! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Final layout ROCKS!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Jorgy has the market cornered on deluxe and rare Marlins. You might want to ask him if he would share.
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

KirkD wrote:Here's what the final layout of the picture will look like. The extra space under the caption is for the wire coil binding.
Thats the ticket!
the only thing i would add is the winchester font
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Kirk,Your final layout in right on the money. I like the comments at the bottom in that last 1/2 inch. The comments/title at the bottom will also permit a fellow to frame the rifle pic of choice in a 8 1/2 x11 matted frame for display. I would make sure you have your name some where on the pic for credits.Looks great !!!!!!!!!
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

One of each please.

wow.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

Looks like a great project. Nothing like old Winchesters.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I'm definately going for one once you get it set up,you talent with the camera and the subject matter are going to be great.And if you happen to slip in your S&W's ( hint )so much the better.
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

If this is the kind of picture you're looking for, let me know. Critique appreciated
I know this particular photo is not as sharp as it should be
I am American
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well done, Kirk. The format is excellent. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mistwolf, that's a nice photo. Lighting is good, composition is nice, and its enjoyable to look at. I usually take about 15 photos from different angles and maybe in different compositions and then pick the best one. For a calendar, it looks like 5 megapixels is absolute minimum for a camera.

The calendar is finished and today I ordered a sample copy to look over. If it is acceptable, I'll post the link where fellows can order one. It will take a couple weeks likely to get it. If all goes well, I'll plan to post the link during the first week in November. In the meantime, to wet your appetite, here's the page for September ..... it's a desktop I've not posted before and is of 'Old Savage', my Winchester Model 94 carbine made in 1954 ...
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Beautiful photos, I am looking forward to putting your calander up.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

You DA' Man Kirk,
That calendar rocks. :wink:

The only thing missing is a picture of the Famous
Big Nose Kate :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I might have to get 4. My Xmas list keeps getting longer and longer! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie