OT - Black Powder and the revolver action?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - Black Powder and the revolver action?

Post by Old Savage »

If you use black powder in a Cap and Ball revolver will it get in the action and corrode it?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Black Powder and the revolver action?

Post by gon2shoot »

This is the wrong section, but yes , BP is not a steel friendly powder, hence the frequent cleaning of guns is necessary.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

By Golly you are right, in the classifieds again; well I know how I did it this time. :oops:

Now can it be moved and retain your post?
Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hasn't bothered mine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I always thought it interesting that all the gun rag articles talked about how easy it was to clean a cap n ball - just separate barrel, frame and cylinder clean and go.

I found powder residue EVERYWHERE inside the lockworks. I cannot imagine this not being a problem down the road.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Well, let's see now.

I've had my old M-1851 .36 Navy Colt reproduction since the Fall of 1979. That makes almost 29 years. I've probably burned up 20 to 30 pounds of powder during that time. Barrel and cylinder got a good bath after every range session, and the rest of the gun got a squirt or three of Gun Scrubber, Break Free, or WD-40.

I'm reasonably certain that I've not detail stripped and cleaned the innards more than a dozen times, and perhaps not that often. To date, I've suffered a grand total of no parts failures, or breakage.

I do not use blackpowder substitutes, never have, never will as long as I can buy or make my own blackpowder. So I guess powder residue on the lockwork is not a major problem.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I haven't shot nearly as much as Doc, but maintain the same practice. The barrel and cylinder gets soaked and scrubbed, but I do not take apart the lockwork. Haven't had a problem yet! :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lets see, I use Goex 3F in my '51s and the same in my '58, the oldest of which I purchased in '86 & '87, the lockwork has been cleaned about once a year; tops. I've never found any corrosion in there. The key to me is keeping lube on the moving parts. I lube the ratchet on the back of the cylinder and the basepin every time I put it together. As long as any fouling is wet, I don't think it'll corrode, letting it dry will.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate your input on this - I shall shoot with confidence.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Isn't that why they invented dishwashers...? :shock:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Final clean up for the M16 in basic training on a couple of problem guns the DI put them in a steaming hot shower. :)

morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Doc Hudson wrote: I do not use blackpowder substitutes, never have, never will as long as I can buy or make my own blackpowder. So I guess powder residue on the lockwork is not a major problem.
Amen to that. I used to have an original 51 colt and have tried pyrodex, clear shot, and a few other substitutes and it is not as accurate as real Goex 3f.

BTW, very little corroding on the lockwork and I think that most of it was due to improper storage.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

20cows wrote:I always thought it interesting that all the gun rag articles talked about how easy it was to clean a cap n ball - just separate barrel, frame and cylinder clean and go.

I found powder residue EVERYWHERE inside the lockworks. I cannot imagine this not being a problem down the road.
That's why we have dishwashers.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:Isn't that why they invented dishwashers...? :shock:
Beat me too it. Just don't tell the wife. Some aren't that understanding.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Black Powder and the revolver action?

Post by Gun Smith »

Black powder in itself is not corrosive. But it absorbs moisture big time, and that's where the corrosion comes from. I clean my C&B revolver every time I use it, as I do ALL my guns. I remove the grips and spray soak the action with WD40 then blow out the residue and respray. I clean the barrel, cylinder, and associated parts normally, then spray with WD40 and blow off the excess. I have no corrosion problems.