First levergun hunt for this Gentleman and other firsts

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

First levergun hunt for this Gentleman and other firsts

Post by 86er »

I had the pleasure of taking JD McQueen on his first hunt with a levergun. He has a Savage 99 in 300 Savage caliber that his Dad gave him. Although he has hunted a few times, it has been only a handful of deer hunts on family property. Looking for some wholesome meat, he hunted with me for whatever presented itself. We were constantly switching from Blackbucks to Fallow Deer to Axis Deer. Whatever we saw we followed. Two shots presented themselves in completely different terrain. One was a small doe at 100 yards, walking in high grass. The shot went low and did not connect. Many hours later, a very big doe was quartering away at 80 yards. That shot appeared to hit the ground between the legs. Losing confidence in the sighting in of the rifle, I set out a styrofoam cup at 100 yards with the bottom facing me. I shot one round and it appeared to go high, so we agreed to get the gun on paper. To our surprise, when I got the cup it was hit square in the middle of the circle where I aimed! With restored faith in the rifle, we hunted hard until the last minute of the second day of the two day trip. Alas, a fully mature axis doe ran towards us and stopped precisely 100 yards broadside. I quick gun mount, sighting and trigger squeeze resulted in a perfect point of shoulder shot. The deer went down for good. The Remington Core Lokt 150 gr exited the opposite shoulder, and showed clear signs of expansion to around 38 caliber.

I set out with Mr. Watts to get his first big game with a new muzzleloader (even though a modern in-line version with optics). After a full day of hard hunting I decided we should sit in the water hole that the bison had been coming to. We got in the water and I put two large boards in front of us covering us up to our shoulders. We waited an eternity and suddenly a large bull of around 1800 pounds came down into the tank and stood not 15 feet from us. We could hear him breathing when the sound of rocks tumbling diverted our attention. The second male came down to the waters edge and browsed on some loose grasses. Last but not least, the small cow we were after for its fine, delicate meat came half way down the enbankment. A 300 grain Barnes MZ pushed by 150 grains of Triple 7 powder to 2000 fps hit the cow front on between the neck and shoulder. The cow ran 20 yards, spun in a circle and fell over dead. The bullet exited in front of the pelvic on the opposite side from the entry.

Lastly, I had Mr. Smith with his Browning A-Bolt, with the muzzle tuning thing with holes in it. The caliber was 30-06. We hunted for whatever meat animal presented itself. We hunted all day and 10 minutes before dark he decided a lone Scimitar Horned Oryx bull was to be his. I asked what bullet he was shooting and he said "30-06". I told him I meant what weight bullet and he said "30-06" . Okay then - I thought. He stalked a long way to get a clear shot and took it. I did not see any reaction, did not hear the bullet hit flesh and found no blood or hair. However, 100 yards away was a very dead Oryx with a hole in the shoulder precisely where I asked him to shoot it. The exit hole was behind the other shoulder. I then learned that the 65 year old Newlywed of one week was a novice hunter with no idea what weight bullet or anything else other than the 30-06 caliber designation. The ammo was marked PETERS on the box and 150 gr CL - PSP. It was newer ammo, not the antique stuff. I will post a photo when I get one as my camera failed on that one.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: First levergun hunt for this Gentleman and other firsts

Post by Griff »

Congrats on getting another levergunner out in the field...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Congrats on getting another levergunner out in the field...
+1 :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done Joe and to all the successful hunters.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Hey, that place looks familiar.

Gotta love the accuracy of those 99s.

I thought los hermanos cleaned you out of bison last month.

Scott
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

was that the name of the mexian restaurant we ate at?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

rjohns94 wrote:was that the name of the mexian restaurant we ate at?
:lol:

I dunno. If you'll recall, I stayed behind on that trip into town.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RSY wrote:
rjohns94 wrote:was that the name of the mexian restaurant we ate at?
:lol:

I dunno. If you'll recall, I stayed behind on that trip into town.
Too bad. The serve up a mean breakfast cactus... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Old Ironsights wrote:Too bad. The serve up a mean breakfast cactus... :wink:
I had gone in for breakfast with Richard that morning, so that's why I didn't go for supper. I agree, the cactus was pretty good. :P

Scott
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Olivia's serves the cactus, and yeah I bought a new herd of bison.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member