Browning Model 95 30-40 Krag w/new "Lyman" rear sight - pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Browning Model 95 30-40 Krag w/new "Lyman" rear sight - pics

Post by stew71 »

My Browning just came back from the 'smith wearing its new reproduction Lyman sight from Providence Tool Company. I picked up the sight through Buffalo Arms awhile back for about $125...give or take. The rifle was found at a local shop from an estate sale. It's mid-70's/early-80's vintage (no tang safety!!). Her first trip afield is coming up soon as deer season is fast approaching. I'll be mixing up some loads for her this week and she'll get some range time this weekend. I'll post the results along with the loads as soon as possible.

In the meantime, enjoy. Oh yeah...I still need to swap out the factory buckhorn sight with a dovetail blank.

This one is quickly becoming my favorite in the gun safe.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Browning Model 95 30-40 Krag w/new "Lyman" rear sight - pics

Post by marlin shooter »

Nice lookin rifle with the correct sight. I bought a Browning this year but in 30-06. I wish mine was in 30-40. Excellent shooter. Yours should be to. Let us know when you shoot it. Good luck.
Karl
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Very nice, Stew. I've been thinking about getting one of those for my own '95, and your photos just tipped me over the edge, I think.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! 8) :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Cool 8) :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Very nice, I do like that sight.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Makes me jealous that I haven't gotten my sight on my Browning. They are great rifles, I'm not surprised it is becoming a favorite.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I have an unfired Win/Miroku in .405, very nice wood and case colored reciever. That sight would really set her off, I sure like yours Stew. I guess I would be a little nervous letting a smith get his drill started up, not knowing his work. If you can highly recommend your smith, let me know and I could ship the gun to him for mounting one on.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's the exact sight I put on my original 95 - which was buffed and reblued with the barrel shortened. I did the drilling and tapping myself - just followed the directions that came with and used the drill and tap included. The important thing I've found is to first use a punch to mark the exact point to drill and use a decent drill press with good bits.

Works perfectly and really gives a great sight picture! I prefer a bead front sight with it - which is what I had on the rifle. A fine bead - like 1/16".

Noah, what are you waiting for? ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

I've heard that Buffalo Arms has the wrong thread on the front screw--is this why it had to be drilled and tapped ?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Mine fit perfectly. Keep in mind that a "search" on their site is the easiest way to locate the sight - punch in Providence Tool Company and that should bring it up.

And here's a couple of pics of mine:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Thanks guys! Apparently the sight comes with screws that are the original 11x36 pitch used on the original Winchesters. The newer Japanese models use metric threads ( :roll:. Oh well. The sight comes with some pretty good instructions and includes the tap and drill set. I just didn't trust myself enough so I sent it off to my local shop. Plus the existing screws were so tight that the receiver had to be soaked in warm oil for a few hours just so they could be loosened up.

J & G Gunsmithing in Granite Bay, CA - http://www.jandggunsmithing.com/

Great shop, great guys, 1st class service, HUGE selection of used firearms. They seem to excel at grabbing up the best estate sales in the area. I always have to bring a bib when browsing the racks. I left the tap and drill with them since I no longer had a use for it. I'm sure that they'd be happy to do some more of these sights. The only issue is that they have big backlog of work right now so turn-around times are not the speediest.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Didn't J&G used to be in Roseville? I seem to remember using them at an old location on Vernon St. If not, I'll check them out. Thanks for the info.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Very nice.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Well I said I'd post results from the range. I would have posted pics but the camera was left on the kitchen table...right where I'd remember it. :roll:
After several different test loads, I settled on the following:

Remington brass, Remington 9.5 primer, and a Sierra 165gr spitzer #2145 seated over 41.7gr or IMR 4064. If memory serves, the average velocity was right at 2350fps from a 24in barrel. The 1st 3 shots were a hair over 2" at 100 yds, and 5 shots took the group out to just over 3". I'm sure I could find something that would do better, but last time I checked, 3 inches was well inside "minute-of-deer"... :)

Next weekend is the opener so I'll post some photos of the trip. I'll be stalking the timber up in the Caribou Wilderness to the east of Lassen National Park in the C-4 zone. Being a designated wilderness area, there are no vehicles of any kind allowed. That ought to keep 95% of the hunters out and I should have most of the area to myself...except for the occasional hiker.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Super Rifle. You are fortunate. 1886.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Stew: If style points count in the deer woods, you'll get a fine buck for sure. A might warm and dry just now,unfortunately.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have an unfired Win/Miroku in .405
:o You should correct that situation :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

stew71 wrote:Thanks guys! Apparently the sight comes with screws that are the original 11x36 pitch used on the original Winchesters. The newer Japanese models use metric threads ( :roll:.

That looks great Stew!
So who has the correct screw for the Browning 1895?
I think I will order one for my Browning, but I don't really look forward to searching for the proper screw.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Salvo...you'll want to check with Providence Tool about the screws. They should be able to set you up with whatever you need. Although I originally ordered my sight thru Buffalo Arms, I had to speak to the guys at PT directly to figure things out. Make sure that when you order the sight kit, you get the tap.

http://www.peabodyrifles.com/index.html
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

SWEET!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

S W E E T! I didn't like the buckhorns on my '95', so I put on a Lyman 66WB sight. I like it real well. I'm thinking of putting the sight you have on my 1886 and get rid of that buckhorn too.

Rifles a real beauty. I would like to get another one in .30-06 myself.

8)