Just picked up a used Marlin 39A......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Just picked up a used Marlin 39A......

Post by 1894cfan »

And am trying to find out something about it. S/N E69XX stamped under lever, with tappered barrel, rather large bellied forearm, drilled and tapped for scope mount, receiver sight (currently has a Lyman sight), AND tang sight. It appears to be in pretty good condition but has seen a fair amount of use. It is missing the rear sight and has no sight blank installed.
Anybody here have any idea on when it was made and what it might be worth? I paid $350 for it.

TIA,

1894cfan
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Just picked up a used Marlin 39A......

Post by 1894 »

I believe an " E " prefix indicates it was made in 1948 .
Phil
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Congratulations on purchasing what I consider to be the best era, pre-microgrooved, of all the 39A's to own. The "fat" forearm makes offhand shooting much easier. If it's missing the sight hood it uses the "rounded" type, not the "wide scan". Unfortunately, Marlin didn't start d&ting the receiver until 1957, but otherwise it's all original. The rear sight is a generic one that you can buy from http://www.dickwilliamsgunshop.com or Numrich.

If that Lyman is a vintage "ALL STEEL" 66MC, then that's a bonus. Those are worth $75-$100, so $350 was a good deal.
Post the pictures soon.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Thanks for the info, guys. It does have the rounded front sight hood AND Lyman 66MC receiver sight. I've been thinking of getting a Marbles slot blank to stick in the slot of the missing rear sight. BTW, the bore is in REALLY good condition. I've been told that I'm only the second owner of this 39A.

jdad, you've made me even happier about this deal! :D BTW, I bought from a guy in Medford.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

These days you rarely find a nice, original condition, pre-microgrooved 39A, for under $350.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.