OT. SideXSides, Doves, Slugs and Ruined Barrels

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

OT. SideXSides, Doves, Slugs and Ruined Barrels

Post by Idiot »

Yesterday, like most of the U.S., was opening day for doves. I chased them through the chollas for a couple hours and filled my bag; lots of fun. My gun of choice was a Stevens 311A with a 20 gauge hole. It shoots well and is choked just right for little birds and upland game.

After cleaning the birds and tanking up on water I decided to answer a nagging question; how would this little side by side handle rifled slugs? Prior to this day I did a bunch of research trying to determine whether or not full or modified chokes would go undamaged when a slug is slipped through them. The research was inconclusive. But, the experiment was pretty conclusive.

Using Winchester rifled slugs (soft slugs) I put five down each barrel. The barrel with the wider choke did just fine - pushing the slug out at 1,600 fps with decent accuracy. I was a little apprehensive about firing a slug in my choked barrel (I'm not sure if its modified or full, but it is choked for sure) but I let rip anyway. The slug fired fine, was as accurate as the other barrel, and exited at the same speed. I was feeling pretty good; thinking that I could now abandon my paradox 410 for this much better, and more effective, shotgun/slugger combination.

The euphoria, however, evaporated once I gandered at the muzzle. The choked barrel had a bulge about 3/4" back from the muzzle. I guess the pressure got a little heavy as the slug was swagged through the choke. Opps!

Well, my question is answered. You cannot shoot slugs down the barrel of a side by side if the muzzle is tightly slugged. Shucks, its back to the paradox.

I just thought you guys might be interested.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT. SideXSides, Doves, Slugs and Ruined Barrels

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you for sharing your results, and sorry to hear you got the bulge! I've fired a bunch of slugs out of a modified barrel, and a few out of full choke but did not have any problems thankfully(these in single shots). Did you use the Foster type slugs? If needed, perhaps you can cut the barrels back and have some screw in chokes installed, to get rid of the bulge.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Idiot,
You are in the same neck of the desert as I am.
Let my gunsmiths have a look at it, they may not do the work; but thet will steer you in the right direction.
If you come around tommorow, you can watch me make a fool of myself on my 94.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

It was a Foster type slug; I Brenneke slug would have wrecked it for sure. Most single barreled shotguns would likely be uneffected when using slugs, regardless of the choke. However, side by sides tend to have thin barrels and can be a little less tolerant of higher pressures.

mescalero1, who is your gunsmith? I've got a couple options at this point. One is to keep it the way it is and use it. It shoots fine and still has a good choke (even with the bulge). I could cut the barrel and use it for self-defence. Or I could sell it to someone who wants a good servicable shotgun for cheap. I won't cut it and thread it for choke tubes; the cost would be too high and far out weigh the guns worth.

The upside is this; now I know, and the dove soup was delicious.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

PM sent
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've always been told that Fosters require IC or C - and that slugs + F/XF = ruined gun.

I guess you just proved it. :oops:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Usually the slugs just leave a nice streak of lead in the full or modified choke which requires some elbow grease and solvent to remedy. A thinner walled Double would definitely increase the chance of bulging a barrel, especially as it gets toward the muzzle. I am curious to know what kind of steel Savage/Stevens used. They mark them with "Select Forged Steel" but just don't know what that means exactly. They are neat guns.....despite their shortcomings they are about the only chance a poor boy has at an American made double.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

C.Cash
I do have an L.C. Smith double 12
but in all fairness, my uncle gave it to me.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You are a lucky dude Mescalero. Those are truly fine guns. My Dad had an old Stevens double when I was a kid before it was called the 311, so I have always gravitated towards the Stevens personally, but have owned a Baker and Lefever as well. Nothing like an American made double, especially the ones ca. 1900-40.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

My first day of hunting - 22 years ago - was for doves, A day I'll always remember. The gun used was my Grandmothers 20 ga. side-by-side LC Smith field grade. I still have the gun but only gets used on special occasions - hopefully the day will come when my 4 year old son or his twin sister will tote this shotgun for doves on opening day, a day I look forward too.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Funny... doves turned my dad off of hunting. IMO if he'd have started with deer he'd be OK, but he got all religious and couldn't handle the sight of downed/wounded "symbols of the Holy Spirit" :roll:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Old Ironsights wrote:Funny... doves turned my dad off of hunting. IMO if he'd have started with deer he'd be OK, but he got all religious and couldn't handle the sight of downed/wounded "symbols of the Holy Spirit" :roll:

I thought they were only white doves? I would never shoot a white dove - only plain ol'grey ones
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AndyM wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:Funny... doves turned my dad off of hunting. IMO if he'd have started with deer he'd be OK, but he got all religious and couldn't handle the sight of downed/wounded "symbols of the Holy Spirit" :roll:

I thought they were only white doves? I would never shoot a white dove - only plain ol'grey ones
Stop making sense. It only irritates them... :?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Well, this old 311 has good wood and works perfect. It will get hauled around a couple gun shows to see if any one wants it for a few bucks or a decent trade. If no one wants it, it will get cut down a bit and slicked up for self defense. I'll have to find some info on how to lighten or eliminate the barrel tension spring and probably polish the chambers so the spents will blast out with a bit of inertia. Another sight bead will be added about mid-barrel to improve sighting when slugs are used and I'll set about finding the exact slug that will hit at the point of aim. I imagine with buck in one barrel and a slug in the other, that it should do the trick when the work is light - like a mt. lion at 15 yards. In the mean time, I'm sure it will still knock the life out many a close up bird or cottentail. Who knows, it may turn out to be a better trapper than my trapper.

BTW, LC Smiths seem to be pretty common. They are a good servicable double.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Idiot,
I PM'd you, you never wrote back, did you get it?
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

mescalero1 wrote:Idiot,
I PM'd you, you never wrote back, did you get it?
I did not receive a PM.