Hi gents happy labor day and range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Hi gents happy labor day and range report

Post by 3leggedturtle »

went to the cabin in north minnesota, brought my Puma 357 and 3 loads. 1st load was saeco 180RF with 12.5 of 2400 3 shots into 1.5 inches shot to point of aim (POA) had nice thump to it , also penetrated 15' of dried poplar. 2nd load REM 147HP (for 9mm) with 10.5 of HS7 also did 1.5inches shot to POA. Felt weak tho, still punched thru 15" of poplar. 3rd load REM 125Golden sabre 12.4gr of HS7, felt and sounded TOUGH, also did 1to 1.5 inch groups but shot 8" high from POA, this I only shot at a dried piece of poplar that 9" thick but punched right thru. Have a williams peep on it and range was only 43 yards. any farther than that and the bugs would follow me back and i couldnt shoot in peace. Also had Henry 22mag with. mounted CHEAP 4X sniper reticle scope on it. At 43 yards the Federal 50gr HP and the Hornady 30gr VMAX loads cut cloverleafs that were all touching,but the 30's shot 10" higher than the 50's, also brought the Winchester 22WRF loads they also shot LARGE 1-hole groups,am really impressed with them, cant beleive this cartridge isnt more popular AND brought my CONTENDER with 3 diiferent barrels. 1st was a 21" 22LR Match chamber, for all the BS you hearabout T/C barrels this would cut 1-hole groups with cheap bulk Rem 36hp loads. My 2nd barrel is a 256WM i make rimless cases out of 221fireball with 20.5gr of H335 and REM 86gr FP's it would shoot 3/4 inch. Completely obliterated sealed cans of soup and veggies. 3rd barrel was 45auto withh Lee 255RF and 9.4 of HS7 would only do 2-3inches, but mounted a scout type scope where rear sight should be and got groups down to 1.5 to 2.5 inches. Would like d to of stayed there a few more days but was hot and humid and buggy, hope y'all got some shooting in this weekend
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ysabel Kid

Re: Hi gents happy labor day and range report

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like fun despite the "hot, humid & buggy" conditions - though I must admit I just don't shoot anymore when it is like that. But... to be complete... this post needs pictures!!! :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Todd Mayo wrote: 3rd load REM 125Golden sabre 12.4gr of HS7, felt and sounded TOUGH, also did 1to 1.5 inch groups but shot 8" high from POA, this I only shot at a dried piece of poplar that 9" thick but punched right thru.
Now you KNOW those puny little pistol bullets will just explode on impact - can't use them for hunting at all - shame on you! :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

need the 125gr for rabid chipmunks! :)
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I was going to do a little shooting myself but it's snowing here. Definitely not buggy hot and humid. I saw a nice bull moose last night heading out of the hayfield and it reminded me that I've got to get some moose loads worked up. Season starts in exactly a month.