Check you ammo!!!!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Check you ammo!!!!!

Post by Rusty »

My son just got back from the range. He took his grandfather's Remington 721 in .270 Win. When he got to the range he got ready to shoot and the factory .270's that he had taken wouldn't chamber. It turns out the factory had put .30-06's in a .270 box. It could have been a disaster if it had been some other caliber mismatch.
No need to mention the brand unless they refuse to make it right.
Be careful out there.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Check you ammo!!!!!

Post by jengel »

Could you please let us know what the maufacturer is so I can take a look at the boxes on the shelf? You might be able to save someone from embarrasment and a potential problem. Thanks.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It may not be the fault of the manufacturer. Not long ago I purchased a box of .45 Colt ammo, when I checked it there was several .44 Mag rounds in the box. When I pointed that out to the salesman he got a funny look on his face. Then he reached over to a box of 44 Mag ammo and in it there was the .45 Colt rounds. The sales man had pulled both boxes down to show a customer the difference between the two and the rounds had been switched. It would be very easy for someone who wasn't paying attention to slip the 30-06 inner box into the 270 outer box.

So, it's a good possibility the manufacturer isn't at fault. Not saying they aren't, just saying it's a possibility they're not.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Most entertainment I ever had was a box of 30-30 winchester ammo with a few 303 savage mixed in nearly 40 years ago. They are almost identical at a glance but they will NOT cycle through a 94 in 30-30. They won't go past the internal cartridge guides and stick there quite well. It was very entertaining getting them out. I have looked closely at what's going in a gun ever since.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I don't know how it is in other states, but most ammo here in Oklahoma is NOT behind the counter. If you go to one of the bigger sporting good stores (Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse, Academy) ,they literally have isles of ammo that some punk kid could get into and swap boxes without anyone ever knowing.

Just my guess, but I bet the faulty swap didn't happen at the manufacturer.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I don't know how it is in other states, but most ammo here in Oklahoma is NOT behind the counter.
Only the shotgun ammo here in the shop is out on an isle. All other is behind the counter.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jengel,

I wasn't really going to do that until I found out something from the Mfg, but since you asked and I have more information now I'll say that it was Remington ammo.

There was a long strip on the outside of the box ( a warehouse selecting strip if that means anything to anyone) that looked like it came from my neighborhood hardware store so I went there to ask them if they'd run into the problem before and they said they had. The owner even remembered the name of the guy that brought the ammo back in. I didn't want to beat up the store owner and cause him grief so I told him I'd contact Remington on Monday. The box in question contained some of the 130 gr. Sirocco bullets.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.