The 30-30 in South Africa (posted for Peter Held)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

The 30-30 in South Africa (posted for Peter Held)

Post by JimT »

The .30-30 in South Africa
Thursday, 21 Aug 2008

Always nice to see what hunters are doing with their lever guns. I thought it would be nice to show what these guns are doing right now here in South Africa.

I have hunted with 30-30 for more than 25 years here in SA. First with a Winchester (top ejector) then later (when my eyesight started to give me trouble) I changed the Winchester to a Marlin 336 side ejector and mounted a 1.5x6 Lynx scope.

I have used this caliber very successfully (never required more than a single shot), but must emphasize that I always made a point of staying with range (max 120M) and I never fired unless I was sure of a good hit. Meat damage is always minimal. Game shot includes Kudu, Black and Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Impala, Blesbuck, Gemsbuck.

Kind Regards,

Peter Held

Not RW trophy size, but good size anyway (22 ½”)
Bullet: Federal 170Gn FN.
Distance: 95 Meters
Single shot Kill in vital plumbing area.
Date: 1st July 2008.

Bullet: Federal 170Gn FN
Distance: 110 Meters
Single shot kill heart/lung area.
Date: 2nd July 2008
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Re: The 30-30 in South Africa (posted for Peter Held)

Post by pharmseller »

Wait a minute! .30-30s are only good on deer! Anyone knows that!
Great post, great pics. Be advised that "reduced recoil" or "managed recoil" .30-06 loads are merely pointed bullets at .30-30 velocity.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

more from Peter:

Hunters are bombarded by information and many of them suffer from information overload.

Most of them buy whatever is recommended by the salesman or whatever the manufacturers advertisements are promising.

Most have no clue of how calibers evolved over the years, and they have no knowledge of the basic fundamentals.

Many have no idea of what it takes to down an animal.

No idea about ballistics, penetration, expansion, bullet placement etc. etc.

It is inevitable that hunters talk about bullets and calibers when gathered around a campfire. It’s part of what we do. It’s part of the fun.

I get tired of reading stories in magazines about the “ideal” gun. In Africa, with a degree of monotony, this becomes a 375 or a 9.3 since this is referred to as a “good-all-round” cartridge. Well, I disagree.

99% of hunters will never get an opportunity to hunt lion, elephant, buffalo etc. So why carry a rifle which is extremely heavy, has tremendous recoil, uses expensive ammo and a long list of other disadvantages ?

I think what determines the ideal caliber is based on a few basic parameters (type of game mostly hunted, range).

Every time I get questions about what kind of “toy gun” I use I never miss an opportunity to inform the un-enlightened.

When they then see the result of my “little toy gun”, they tend to change their mind. Suddenly it is not such a bad gun after all.

Many people commend on the fact that meat damage on the 30-30 is absolutely minimal. I hardly recover bullets. Most have gone straight through the animal.

The hype about lack of accuracy in lever action rifles is also blown up beyond proportion. I shoot my Marlin more accurately at 100m than most guys at the shooting range with their selection of bolt actions. I agree on a technical basis that LA rifles cannot be as accurate as BA rifles due largely to the fact that bullet seating is further from the lands of the barrel (compared to BA rifle) due to the loading/extracting mechanism (plus several other factors).

However, the gun is likely to be inherently more accurate than the shooters ability to shoot smaller groups.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Good words from a smart man. :wink:
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now that makes sense. Great post Peter - thanks.
Last edited by Old Savage on Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Most Marlins are more accurate than most hunters can shoot.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

99% of hunters will never get an opportunity to hunt lion, elephant, buffalo etc. So why carry a rifle which is extremely heavy, has tremendous recoil, uses expensive ammo and a long list of other disadvantages ?

I think what determines the ideal caliber is based on a few basic parameters (type of game mostly hunted, range).

There you have it. And that sums it up for N. America as well. Most folks I've seen at the day before openening rifle sight in day at various ranges would be FAR better served with a 30 WCF than with the 497 LoudenBoomerShortMag that they can't hit the broad side of a barn with but that they bought because "Mr X" in guns and baloney recommended it as "the end all of deer rifles". My personal deer/elk rifle is an old sporterized P17 '06 - but even such an "under powered" rifle is too much for most folks who don't shoot but once a year. It sounds like Mr Held has done some thinking on this, and his 20+ years of experience in successfully using the 30 WCF in Africa speak for themselves. Proper bullet placement out shines muzzle energy every time when muzzle energy causes a miss or poor placement.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Good read, good pics. I don't get many oppurtunites to talk ballistics with anybody except you guys. But one day I will get the chance.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well, it is about time that someone spoke the truth. I can't agree more with peter, although I have no African experoence. IMO, the same can be said for the .33 Winchester, another extremely capable cartridge that I intend to bag an elk with this fall. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hey this guy reminds me of me :D Do you know what- he never mentioned ft/lbs :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice to read a post that is pure common sense, well to most of us at Leverguns anyway! Thanks for posting.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
maddog
Levergunner

Post by maddog »

Cool pics and great post! Especially since my buddy and I just got back a month ago from RSA where we hunted plains game with a pair of leveractions. His a .308MX, and mine a .45-70 guide gun.

maddog
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

Cool!

I'll have to tell my buddy that only owns a .357 and .30-30, both in Marlins!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

I can't believe this guy!!!! Him and that other fellow that hunted in Africa with a 357 leveraction are killing us other guys that'er trying to pick'em up cheap, when eveyone just has to trade'em in on a new 3000MAG!!!!! And with Ruger bringing out the new 300RCM I was hoping more levers would end up in the pawnshops! Shesshhh, I guess not now!

Its a conspiracy I say!

:wink:

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

good common sense article. thank you.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congratulations on a fine pair of trophies. Even better that they were taken with my favored cartridge. Good, solid info born of experience, what's to argue about? Thanks.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I am working on a load for my 30-30's that I would love to try out in Africa. 180 grain round nose over R15 I am able to reaach over the 2100fps mark, and in my new Mossberg I think I am going to go higher. Nice picks I am a big fan of a .30-30.

http://www.venompublishing.netyou can read about the load.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yep, and he said the magic words - "I stay within range" to paraphrase.

I didn't read anything about taking kudu at 300 yards....

A smart man indeed.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!