Accuracy/loads for .375/ 38-55's??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Accuracy/loads for .375/ 38-55's??

Post by Poohgyrr »

And pics are good too.

I don't have one, but would like to. And that's a good reason for another thread!

Anyone have any favorite Levers/guns or loads??

:wink:
Last edited by Poohgyrr on Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've been thinking about one of the H&R's myself of late. I just can't make up my mind.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've got a Win 94 BB 375. A good load in mine is the 220 Hornady with 36.0 gr. of Reloader 7.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a Marlin 375. It has only been fed Hornady's 220gr FN and 35 grains of RE-7.

It's the one in back, hiding cause it wears a scope! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Whoa Griff, what is that hiding on top of that 375?

Here's mine

42.0 gr of H335 with a Sierra 200 - 5x 1 3/4" at 100 yds. I am looking for something better. Ordered some RL7.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Let me correct that 43.0 gr. - 2072 fps. was a bit more accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

This one likes 37.5 grains of Re-7 in a .375 case lit by a Fed210 primer, topped with a Hornady 220-gr. There must be some magic in that sequence of 3-7-5. :shock:

scott
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

RSY wrote:This one likes 37.5 grains of Re-7 in a .375 case lit by a Fed210 primer, topped with a Hornady 220-gr. There must be some magic in that sequence of 3-7-5. :shock:

scott
RSY
That looks just like mine. Williams FP on top of my BB. Mine likes 36.3gr of RL 7 under my Hornady 250gr, for 2150 fps MV.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

What model Williams Fool Proof works for the Win. 94 Big Bore?

Sean
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The Williams site says FP-94/375 for the Big Bore and FP-94BBSE for the Angle Eject version (.307 and .356)
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

I now own two .38-55's, my Win 94...and most recently a H&R Single Shot. I sought advice on loads and ended up using 32grs of RL7 behind a 255gr Barnes Original. On deer sized game including bear I just point and shoot out to 150 yards....it shoots nice and flat and has great penetration.

I am very impressed with the H&R.....very accurate! I can bust clay pigeons all day at 100 yards. Who knows...I may use for deer season this year...definately will for something. I'm going to try my hand at casting this winter and may experiment with some black powder and heavy postel bullets.

Here are some pics....thats me with the bear and my buddy Wayne with my H&R.

"We do not go to the verdant green woods and crystal clear waters to rough it...we go to smooth it. We get things rough enough at home! - George Washington Sears- a.k.a- NESSMUK
Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

"We do not go to the verdant green woods and crystal clear waters to rough it...we go to smooth it. We get things rough enough at home! - George Washington Sears- a.k.a- NESSMUK
Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Backwoods,

Great pics AND quoting "Nessmuk", can't beat that! My dad was from Fly Creek near Cooperstown. Upstate covers a lot of territory, can you narrow it down some?
Sincerely,

Hobie

Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

Hobie...

I know that area very well. I'm from Sidney, in north west Delaware county and I live about 40 minutes from Cooperstown. I'm in the foothills of the Catskill Mountains and about an hour south of the Adirondack Mountains where I spend a lot of time.

And by the way...thanks Hobie, it was you who recommended that load for my .38-55. It has really become one of my favorite cartridges. I'm going to load up some more ammo next week. I wan't to order some Kodiak bullets from Alaska Bullet Works and I think I might try some of the longer brass from Starline.

Dave
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That Starline brass is WONDERFUL. I've only used 20 out of my bag of 250 but did get to shoot them a bit and the brass is a treat. I'm not loading the rest until I've worn out all my short brass... :wink:

PS My grandfather was raised in North Blenheim and is buried in Westville Cemetery. My Aunt Virginia just died and will be buried there (not sure when yet) and I hope to attend the service. Perhaps I could swing by and say howdy. I love the country but the laws and taxes are intolerable.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Backwoods
Levergunner

Post by Backwoods »

Yeah....

I think I'll put in an order for some components this week.

Dave
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Hobie said, "That Starline brass is WONDERFUL."

Question about brass: I have a recently purchased .38-55 H&R but only 20 rounds of brass. I do have a good supply (100 new, 40 used) of .375 Win. brass. Actually, I can see no reason to purchase additional .38-55 since I have the .375; unless there is some reason I should. I have read using the .375 brass is dangerous because of neck thickness, but can see no reason why if it releases boolits. By measurements, it should. And I will be using only .38-55 level loads.
Or is there something else I am missing?
PPpastordon
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

The only difference is the length of the shell. The .375 is a tad shorter, but the COL is the same. Therefore if you are shooting cast, it should make no difference.

With the price of Hornady 220's sky rocketing, anybody know where I can get a deal on 'em. Still have not found a decent gc cast bullet for the .375 either, not unless I load it down to .38-55 specs.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I prefer the longer cases but have no compunctions against using shorter cases. The .375 is about as short as you can find in a factory case. Some folks like those as a basis for the .30 Herrett or .357 Herrett as they think the brass will allow them to run higher pressures and get more performance. I think that if you want a .30-30 shoot one instead of cutting it back and trying to load it up, but what do I know. Yeah I have a .30 Herrett and it does right well. Even more suitable for loading down than the parent case... Well, heck I've now digressed right off the subject. :oops:

Do what you want but you'll almost always be happier (i.e. MORE happy) with the correct length brass.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

I agree with Hobie re: correct length .38-55 Starline brass. I bought 250 cases about 6 weeks ago. I'm loading them for two original early-1920's 94 Winchesters, and I'm pleased more than expected. The fact that the bullets are now seated closer to the rifling has improved accuracy in both these rifles
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Anyone try the Lee 379 250 RF bevel base mold in either of these cartridges?
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Note well that, yes, .375 brass is shorter, but it's also beefier down at the web. This means smaller internal capacity than .38-55 brass, which thus means higher pressures than when using .38-55 brass with any given load. Be careful out there.

scott
:idea:
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Old Time Hunter wrote:The only difference is the length of the shell. The .375 is a tad shorter, but the COL is the same. Therefore if you are shooting cast, it should make no difference.

With the price of Hornady 220's sky rocketing, anybody know where I can get a deal on 'em. Still have not found a decent gc cast bullet for the .375 either, not unless I load it down to .38-55 specs.
Not totally true. the case capacity of the 375 is less, since the case is thicker in several areas. I use 375 and 38-55 brass in my 375 BB and cannot fit as much powder in the 375.

Backwoods, my H&R 38-55 like the .379-.380 cast and GOEX cartridge powder the best of several I've tried.

Also due to the twist rate, I'd suggest bullets UNDER 300gr. With 245-255 most likely being the best overall.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I thought I'd repost this pic (courtesy of Norm Johnson) comparing the brass as labeled.

Sincerely,

Hobie