OT NEED HELP DECIDING

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

OT NEED HELP DECIDING

Post by barbarossa »

Looking to buy that gun of a lifetime and have narrowed it down to two that fit my likes and needs.One is a replica of the Ferguson rifle in 65 cal and the other is a Romano first model Maynard carbine.Both guns are around the same price and will fit the same spot in my collection as something different.Which would you buy and why.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT NEED HELP DECIDING

Post by Tycer »

I'd have to vote for the First Model Maynard in 36 cal.

The Ferguson is cool, but seems too delicate for my clumsy hands to use in the field. I like the caliber though.

Hunting a first model would be cool. I'd like to see one of the old-style Maynard priming systems in action.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Mich hunter wrote:How about this one http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =106822656
Wow....that's so far off my paygrade :mrgreen: It's stunning, tho, ain't it?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ferguson!

I've shot a Maynard. Not enough to do with one to make me spend the money Romano charges. IF you had said something about a Romano Spencer carbine it would have been a harder decision!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I guess I'd go with the Maynard.. Shooting an un patched round ball with BP in down the Ferguson tube looks like it would take more work to keep running than I'm up for.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Have decided that neither of these 2 two guns are for me, instead I am going for the ultimate varmint gun a CPA Stevens rifle in 22 hornet.
RaiderANV
Levergunner

Post by RaiderANV »

Ya shoulda went with the Maynard. My guess is the price had everything to do with the choice and not the guns. :roll:
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'd have gone with the Ferguson myself. In addition to fascination with the rifle, one of my ancestors took part in the fight in which Major Ferguson was killed
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I was about 12 years old the first time that I read the "Ferguson Rifle" by Louis L'Amour and I have been fascinated with them every since. So I would have to vote for the Ferguson!!!

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

barbarossa wrote:Have decided that neither of these 2 two guns are for me, instead I am going for the ultimate varmint gun a CPA Stevens rifle in 22 hornet.
Pictures yet? :D