BLR Musings

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

BLR Musings

Post by Haycock »

So.... I've been reading up on BLRs recently and was wondering if anyone here could comment on the functional aspects of Belgian vs. new-build models. Specifically, are the 2008 era BLRs more accurate? Do they have better triggers? Is extraction improved? Or, are any of those things true in reverse, with the Belgians taking the prize on functional superiority?

I'm sure nobody reading would argue that the Jap BLRs are more desireable in terms of "character"... clearly the Belgians have a look and feel to them that no recent model can replicate perfectly. What I am wondering is... on a purely functional level.... which is better?

Just curious.........

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: BLR Musings

Post by BenT »

The Japanese BLR's fit and finish are of great quality. As far as trigger quality ,all that is needed is a lighter trigger spring and you get a 3 to 4 lb trigger , otherwise they are in the 6 -7 lb range. The BLR bolt locks into the end of the barrel so I don't think accuracy should vary that much between manufactures.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just wish they made a matte blued walnut stocked one without the shine!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

big fan of the early jap model in .308. its my primary hunting rifle when not using a tube fed levergun. can't go wrong with one of these.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

tman wrote:big fan of the early jap model in .308. its my primary hunting rifle when not using a tube fed levergun. can't go wrong with one of these.
Completely agreed. They are wonderful rifles. Giving a great deal of what is really good about lever guns, and improving upon what is lacking in many as well. (Namely the box mag).
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

model55 wrote:Just wish they made a matte blued walnut stocked one without the shine!
They did............. in Belgium!

Hay
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Anyone have any insight into Belgian vs Japanese accuracy, reliability, etc.?

Hay
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

IIRC, the BLRs were produced in Belgium for one year and then the tooling was boxed and shipped to the Miroku plant. Same animal.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Jap BLRs are very accurate and function beautifully. They however do have the very shiny stocks. Character????? I wouldn't see the Belgian as better.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

None of the Belgian BLRs are chambered for the .358 Winchester cartridge, so I'll have to go with the Japanese manufacture if I'm going to have one of those. I'll put up with some other shortcomings for that.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Haycock,

Some folks might not find the Miroku BLR's as ascetically desirable as the Belgian made guns. But other than that danged over shiny Browning finish, the fit and finish of my Miroku BLR leave nothing to be desired. As for accuracy, I don't think the Belgian guns have any advantage over the Japanese guns. When I do my part, my .358 BLR will produce one hole groups at 100 meters and not a lot bigger at 200 meters. If the Belgian guns are any more accurate, I don't think I could stand to own one. My Japanese BLR is the most accurate rifle I've ever owned, and one of the most accurate I've ever had the privilege to shoot.

I've heard Paco say that his BLR in .358 Win will produce similar or even better groups, but I don't know if it is a Belgian or Japanese rifle. And off hand, I'd credit any accuracy advantage Paco's rifle might have to Paco's greater skill as a rifleman rather than any difference between Belgian and Japanese manufacture.

My big concern for the new model BLR's are the danged aluminum receiver rather than good old steel. My preference is for steel, and I'm very pleased with my 1978 edition BLR is has a steel receiver.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ditto on the accuracy.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Well alright! That's some pretty impressive accuracy.

I guess the Belgian models do hold more charm (for me), and its good to know that they can be expected to shoot just as well as the more modern incarnations.

Many thanks for everybody's responses on this.

Haycock