ot: welding barrel extensions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

ot: welding barrel extensions

Post by 3leggedturtle »

i want to add a 2inch "tip" on a contender barrel to make it 16" legal. can I MIG or TIG it? Also went thru Staunton, VA and noticed the the Exit numbers were 225, 222 and 220. Hobie is that why you live there?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ot: welding barrel extensions

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Yes, that could be done and I have seen it done on a shotgun. I know a fellow who shot a lot of trap and was a AA shooter. He sawed the choke off of his Browning BT99 and brased a 6" section of Remington barrel to the end of it (looked like HeXX) but shot like a dream. He said everyone knows Remingtons have better chokes than Brownings.
:o :o :lol: :lol:

There is ne need or law that says that the rifling has to extend to the muzzle. I would counter bore it so the crown is behind the weld joint. Some Benchrest barrel tuners are made that way and they shoot bug hole groups with them!! :D
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

I would have the barrel threaded and a comp added, you can have the comp
silver sodered ( sorry for the missed spelling :-) and pinned if you want a perm fix .. would look better than
just welding on a piece of barrel ...

just a thought !!!!!!

Talon
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I second the compensator. Have a professional install it and it will also add value to the piece.
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Todd Mayo wrote:i want to add a 2inch "tip" on a contender barrel to make it 16" legal. can I MIG or TIG it? Also went thru Staunton, VA and noticed the the Exit numbers were 225, 222 and 220. Hobie is that why you live there?
I live here because, overall, it is one of the best places in the world to live. :wink: Those exit numbers are a relatively new change to the system that connects exits to the mileage markers.

The extensions must be welded. I recommend using as little heat and space as possible to do the job. The Choate extensions have a small hole on the underside and the weld is supposed to be confined to this hole. Some folks then fill the hole with black epoxy to make it look better. I have had two barrels so done and an extra extension stashed away just in case.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson