Way OT - how do you define "kin"?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Way OT - how do you define "kin"?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My son is working on his "Family Member" activity pin for Webelos, and this includes the chance to earn a "belt loop" on "Heritage". This is one of my favorite topics (family history/geneology), so I have been having a lot of fun helping him on this.

We got into a discussion on relations - via blood or marriage. This then went into a general discussion of "kin" (as in "kinfolk"). To me, I define "kin" very broadly - anyone who has any connection to me via blood or marriage no matter how far removed. Some are indeed very distant - married-to marrie-to-married-to etc. Others would be the "standard" most people thing about (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.).

So, how do you all define your kin?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Way OT - how do you define "kin"?

Post by J Miller »

So, how do you all define your kin?
Mostly dead.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If'n ya cain't marry - y'er Kin. :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
41bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41bear »

You're right theres blood kin and marriage kin. I only have one Aunt still living and she is marriage kin, I love her but it just doesn't seem the same. There is that special bond with blood kin that just isn't there with anyone else. At least its that way with me. :)
DEO VINDICE

"if only one man among all of the rest will not break ...then all of them, all those who so despise men that they believe all men can be broken and all men can be bought, all of them have failed and all of them are defeated, because one alone destroys them and one alone can give heart to all other men." - Robert Crichton
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Anybody blood related I would think.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

OI has it right.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

By blood, anywhere in the line.

By marriage, not much (if any) farther than the brother/sister in law level.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

All blood related and some married related - case by case. :) If you go to extended cousins we may all be related. At least by race and country and sometimes farther.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In my parent's side of the family, it was more your way, blood relations and their spouses. On my wife's side it is limited to first cousins. Really. I do a lot of genealogy work and my wife has poopooed it saying, "they aren't in our family" of her 1st cousins once removed and 2nd cousins.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, I've got some who are related by blood. Others by marriage. And, a third group who have been family friends so long, they are kin anyway you look at it. Truth be told, some of my unrelated aunts, uncles and cousins have been closer than those related by blood or marriage. Kin folk are those too whom we have a lifetime connection. Blood and marriage aren't necessary.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Kinship denotes common ancestry. Family includes blood, non-blood, and marriage relationships.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Kin does in fact denote "by blood".

Family is a little looser concept, and may include by marriage, ex-inlaws, even good friends.

Psychologists talk about how folks divide the world into three groups, "Kin", "kind", and "other".

Now "kind" can be race, place of origin, profession, or shared membership in some group like levergunners.

"Others" are the ones tossed off the leaky boat ;)
Certified gun nut
99savage308
Levergunner

Post by 99savage308 »

"kin"

By blood only. I have one brother n law and there is nooooooooo way I would ever concider him "kin"... :lol:
-- NRA Life Member --

--Searching for more light --

-- keep your powder dry --
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

I have always thought of kin as being those related by blood. However, 'next of kin' could be someone related by marriage, at least according to this definition:
'Although ‘next of kin' is sometimes defined in legislation, it is a common law term which has traditionally meant the closest relative by blood or marriage."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A wife is not kin, which is why in many cultures they could not inherit property at the death af a husband unless there was an expressed "will" of the deceased. A wife could potentially pass valuable family heirlooms or property on to the children of another man or to another family entirely. Property in such a case would go to the oldest son, or be distributed among "kinfolk".

Lawyers made wives "next of kin".

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

Old Ironsights wrote:If'n ya cain't marry - y'er Kin. :wink:
+1
Many may disagree, but "blood" is the deciding factor for me. If you are not blood related then you are a relative by marriage, and even some of those I don't want in the family. . . . . :D
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I guess where I was going is a ranking of sorts on the duty one has to family. As they say, "blood is thicker than water". Of course, close blood relations always trump everything else. But given my rather generous definition of "kin" (you'd think I was born in the south 150 years ago! :wink: ), a ranking system of sorts is needed. Still, in my mind, if someone is related to me in some form or fashion - by blood or marriage - they rank "consideration" above and beyond the stranger off the street - even if they are a stranger. Of course, friends get plopped somewhere in between "close blood" and "distant kin" - some as close as "close blood"!

It is just harder to define "kin" nowadays to my son, as the family tree has marriages, deaths and remarriages; marriages and divorces and remarriages; non-married with kids and other permutations that never occured to me when I was growing up! :roll:
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

>If you go to extended cousins we may all be related. At least by race and country and sometimes farther.

Not "may" be related -- we literally ARE all related. Think about it. You have 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 great-great grandparents, etc., etc. Do the math -- go back 40 generations -- say 1000 years -- and grandparents alone number over a million. Now go back another 1,000,000+ years...

No doubt about it whatsoever. We each share SOME common genetic material with every other human being on earth.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pisgah wrote:>If you go to extended cousins we may all be related. At least by race and country and sometimes farther.

Not "may" be related -- we literally ARE all related. Think about it. You have 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 great-great grandparents, etc., etc. Do the math -- go back 40 generations -- say 1000 years -- and grandparents alone number over a million. Now go back another 1,000,000+ years...

No doubt about it whatsoever. We each share SOME common genetic material with every other human being on earth.
An international group of geneticists studying Y-chromosome data have found that nearly 8 percent of the men living in the region of the former Mongol empire carry y-chromosomes that are nearly identical. That translates to 0.5 percent of the male population in the world, or roughly 16 million descendants living today. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... nghis.html

In Genesis, God appointed Aaron, brother of Moses, as the first priest (Cohen, pl. Cohanim) and stipulated that his sons should inherit this position. About 3,300 years later this tradition continues with Jewish priesthood being designated by strict patrilineal decent. A study conducted by Hammer et al. sought to test the adherence to this tradition and analyze the differences in the frequency of Y haplotypes between Jewish priests and lay people in both Ashkenazi and Sephardic populations.

In the study, 188 unrelated Y chromosomes obtained from Israeli, North American, and British Jews were typed using first, a genetic marker called the Y Alu polymorphic (YAP) insert, and secondly a polymorphic GATA repeat microsatellite called DYS19. Some samples were also typed for a non-Y-chromosome CA-repeat polymorphism, D1S191.

The remarkable results indicate that the purity of the Jewish Cohanim has been relatively well preserved, and even more remarkably that it is observable in both the Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jewries regardless of their geographic separation. Six haplotypes were identified among the test subjects. The greatest difference was in the frequency of the YAP in priests compared to lay Jews. A mere 1.5% of the Y chromosomes among priests were YAP+, while it occurs in about 18.4% of lay Jews. There was no significant difference in distribution for the non-Y D1S191 repeat. The same distinctions made between the priesthood and lay Jews were present in both the Sephardic and Ashkenazi populations. This result is consistent with the origin of the priesthood predating the division of the Jewry during the Diaspora.

So it seems that the Cohanim, who comprise around 5% of the world’s 7 million Jewish males, may all be brothers in the ancestral Y chromosome of Aaron. http://home.nc.rr.com/ambiient/site/ychromo.htm
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

You pick your friends, you cant pick your relatives!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Amici familia ab lectio est

That means:

Friends are the Family you choose.

For the last 30 years of so, I've had little contact with my blood family other than my parents.

The family I keep up with are those friends I've made family.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Kin would be blood relatives and related by marriage for the most part(mainly my in-laws and their spouses/kids) My best friend, who just recently died, his boys I consider to be my nephews. Some kin, blood cousins, I haven't had anything to do with them for 20 years and really don't care to change things.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I for one do not think everyone on earth is related. Adam and Eve can be dated to approx 4,000 BC. I think the general creation of man significantly predates that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I thought about this post this morning as I was reading. I was reading "The Warrior's Path" by L'Amour and he used the phrase "married kin" in the book.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Rusty that is a real good book, those boys do have a time.
What about "Kissing Kin" ? They are closer than marrying kin.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I guess where I was going is a ranking of sorts on the duty one has to family. As they say, "blood is thicker than water". Of course, close blood relations always trump everything else. But given my rather generous definition of "kin" (you'd think I was born in the south 150 years ago! :wink: ), a ranking system of sorts is needed. Still, in my mind, if someone is related to me in some form or fashion - by blood or marriage - they rank "consideration" above and beyond the stranger off the street - even if they are a stranger. Of course, friends get plopped somewhere in between "close blood" and "distant kin" - some as close as "close blood"!

It is just harder to define "kin" nowadays to my son, as the family tree has marriages, deaths and remarriages; marriages and divorces and remarriages; non-married with kids and other permutations that never occured to me when I was growing up! :roll:
I have to agree, I have friends that are much closer than some of my kinfolk. I have friends that would "help bury the body" so to speak but family I would not trust across the street.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I weas recently adding up all the dead relatives, too many to remember almost. So now---I count everybody, who treats me like family, as "kin".
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I would have to go with blood. Those that have divorced out of the family no longer count much other then as friends. For example one of my many great aunts was Custers wife is she kin yes because of blood ties it dosnt make him kin ( besides he was a Yankee :wink: ). My family is fortunate that we have geneology buffs in several branches of my family so for the french side we can trace back to the mid 1400's in france the Scotch side we can trace back to the 1500's thats a whole lot of branches.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis