The Duke

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

The Duke

Post by Arminius »

Howdy!

New to this Forum, but for sure not new to neither Lever Guns nor shooting ... ;-)

I am a long time Western fan, and a LA Collecetor.

( well, maybe "Accumulator" ;-))

I´ve taken game with LA´s.

I have at last count, at least ( only ) eight LA´s. I intend to up that number ;-)))

.30-30, .357, .44 Mag, ,44 - 40, .45 - 70.

Now my question:

I´ve seen Stagecoach.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=0iBF088Yz ... re=related

I´ve seen True Grit.

( NOT to make it under the 10 best Westerns )

I´ve seen "Terminator II". ( Arnie COULDN´T resist ;-))

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IHcLI6QNYRs

I´ve watched the scenes on DVD, and then on Youtube - endlessly!

I always figured, that the "large loop lever trick" was "let it forawrd, pull it back". From study of the vids, it´s kinda of a "circular movement"!?!?!

"throw it forward, let it rotate"

???

How´s it done?

Thanks in advance, also any comments on reality and "gun mishandling" are welcomed!

Hermann
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Re: The Duke

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I do it with somewhat of a circular motion, going down and forward at the same time, then rolling it back and grasping the grip. Not very practical, but I just do it to impress my four-year-old grandson. At that age, he is easily impressed, and I am his hero.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I do it with somewhat of a circular motion, going down and forward at the same time, then rolling it back and grasping the grip. Not very practical, but I just do it to impress my four-year-old grandson. At that age, he is easily impressed, and I am his hero.

.......until he splits his head open and his mama and HER mama tries to kill you.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Travis Morgan wrote:
Jeff Quinn wrote:I do it with somewhat of a circular motion, going down and forward at the same time, then rolling it back and grasping the grip. Not very practical, but I just do it to impress my four-year-old grandson. At that age, he is easily impressed, and I am his hero.
.......until he splits his head open and his mama and HER mama tries to kill you.
Hmmm... Is that the voice of experience? :P

EDIT: ooops, Welcome to the Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Those front sights will put a hell of a gash in your cheek or shoulder. Really nice groove.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Arminius,

Welcome!

What you need to do is try to work the lever with only one hand on the rifle. Hold the rifle, with the barrel pointed up at an angle, and your trigger finger OUT of the trigger guard. Keep your thumb OFF of the upper tang of the rifle, and against the side of the receiver. Push the lever away from your body, and the barrel will come back toward your head/ shoulder/ upper arm area, then down past your armpit. The buttstock will come up, then around to your armpit. As the buttstock comes back to its starting possition, start to grab the wrist of the stock with the hand that is still holding the rifle. The front sight can hurt you. The rifle may fly across the room. Watch out for breakables!

This may also help you:

http://www.riflemansrifle.com/may1960.htm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard!

For Chuck and the Duke, they had long arms. One needs to remember this when trying to twirl a lever-action, otherwise you'll catch the front sight right on your shoulder.

I have long arms, but I am also speaking from personal experience - it hurts!!! :shock:
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Unless you are literally a knuckle dragger, you need a trapper model to do this. I have a hard time finding shirts with long enough sleeves, and I don't come anywhere near close to being able to do it with the longer models. I wouldn't recommend doing it, anyhow. But if someone wanted to give me an 1887, I'd sure give it a try!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

It'll also drop the round on the carrier on the floor or stove-pipe. (Don't ask me how I know) Chuck Connors' rifle, and I would guess Wayne's too,had a small piece of piano wire attched to the receiver to prevent that.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

BruceB,

That depends on the rifle and/or the caliber. In general, spinning (twirling to some) my B92 & my Rossi 92 does not produce ejected rounds, or even stovepipes. Now, swinging the rifles down low, and behind my elbow, often causes the rounds to fly out of the top of these rifles.

I'll drag out this old set of screencaps, from early 2005:

That's me playing "Lucas McCain" with my Henry rifle. Here is the Henry:

...and the trigger-trip screw, just like McCain's:

The Henry perfoms flawlessly, when I use it like Lucas used his Winchester.

Shawn
Last edited by Hagler on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

The rifle has to be very slick(or well broken in/worn)for flawless manipulation(1892 winnies are a excellent choice).I like to think of the perfected levergun "flip" as a cadence.Besides showboating it gives a sense of the rifle's balance and center of gravity for motor memory.I am fortunate to be 6'5'" tall with a 15 1/2 length of pull....so 24" barrels are my limit. :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Re: long arms- Connors had them and used a 20 inch barrel. He was also ambidextrous. Wayne's arms were shorter, and so was his barrel. His forearm was also shortened to appear proportional. Still trying to confirm, but had heard one was as short as 14.5 inches and registered.

Re: flying cartridges- Rodd Redwing had a plunger installed above the chamber of Connor's rifle to catch the nose of the cartridge on the carrier and prevent lose. Wayne's spins were for looks. He always had a scene or camera angle change between the spin and the shot. Editing. If I find it to be different, I will report back.

Have fun. Be careful. Miscalculations DO hurt.
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Arminius »

Wow!

WOW!

Lots of information!!!

I´ll try it tomorrow ( over the bed, in case gun goes flying ).

I´ll use a 16" Trapper ( in .30-30 ).

And I´ll get a 16" Rossi ( Win 92 ) with 16" bbl and LLL!

I´ll keep you posted about the results ... if successful

;-)

Hermann
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »