OT Danger at Wimbledon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

OT Danger at Wimbledon

Post by gamekeeper »

Just read on Yahoo news that two tennis fans were arrested for taking picknick knives into Wimbledon. :shock: :o :? :roll:

Boy it's gettin' too dangerous for me here, I've got to find somewhere free of all these terrible weapons! :oops:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: OT Danger at Wimbledon

Post by Old Savage »

You better come over here - someplace like Idaho, Montana, Wyoming where that type of thing is not dangerous yet.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

".....two tennis fans were arrested ......"

Arrested? Arrested?.....not just had the picnic knives taken for safekeeping and told to pick them up when they left to go home? Waaay back when I lived in Az, if there was a place, such as a bar, that didnt want you to open carry a gun :shock: , they were responsible for checking it, and returning it when you left.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Picnic knives?!?!?! Run away! Run away!

Insanity.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Game Keeper,
What gave me the creeps the most on that assignment in England was all the cameras watching the public. Very creepy.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

With all of England's CCTV, it would take some getting used to be constantly surveiled by big brother.
Old Law Dawg
CaptainFinn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CaptainFinn »

There is talk of banning almost all knives in England/United Kingdom. I was reading about it in one of the gun magazines.

They were saying something about households not needing more then one or two kitchen knives, and I swear to god, a British official was quoted saying something along the lines of "Only a professional Chef needs more then one or two knives and/or knives longer then four or five inches." :o
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yup, The sheeple in this third rate excuse for a country would vote for a world made of cotton wool ! :evil:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

G.K.
It is just hard for me to get my mind around the fact that we are talking about people who are the decendents of men who fought Rommel & his Afrika Korps to a standstill!!!!!!!!!!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Please dear Lord help me through this, help me to be long suffering what with all these idiots around me. Amen.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hang in there Nath!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'd say sic the dogs on 'em, but then the Humane Socity would have a fit :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mescalero1 wrote:G.K.
It is just hard for me to get my mind around the fact that we are talking about people who are the decendents of men who fought Rommel & his Afrika Korps to a standstill!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes sir, it's a disgrace that so many brave men and women gave their lives to keep this country free and now its no longer a land fit for hero's its not fit for anything! :x
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

These are sad times, indeed.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

game keeper wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:G.K.
Yes sir, it's a disgrace that so many brave men and women gave their lives to keep this country free and now its no longer a land fit for hero's its not fit for anything! :x
I think - or at least want to believe - that it is merely a matter of percentages - just as it is here and elsewhere. The percentage of honorable patriots compared to the rest of society (i.e. - the sheep) has fallen dramatically everywhere, but those hearty souls who's spirit still soar with a dedication to freedom still exist. GK and Nath are examples. From what Jeremy Reed has said, those serving in the British armed forces are still made from that metal. Just a shame there are so few left everywhere... :(
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

CaptainFinn wrote:There is talk of banning almost all knives in England/United Kingdom. I was reading about it in one of the gun magazines.

They were saying something about households not needing more then one or two kitchen knives, and I swear to god, a British official was quoted saying something along the lines of "Only a professional Chef needs more then one or two knives and/or knives longer then four or five inches." :o

They'd have a conniption fit if they'd see what I've got in the kitchen - not to mention what's scattered all over the rest of the house. We've got more knives in our kitchen than the whole rest of the church combined. Most of them only have one or two dull, nicked, cheap stainless steel bladed "knives" for all kitchen use. I have to warn them when they come over for some activity - "Let the knife do the work - it's sharp - don't try to force it through and DON'T cut towards yourself unless you want to see what color your blood it!" On the plus side, when they DO cut themselves, it's relatively painless... ;-) One of the ladies keeps threatening to bring her knife over for me to sharpen. That'll be the day - it'd probably be better to just gift her one of the elcheapo stainless blades I picked up some time ago and almost never use.

The REALLY strange thing is that NONE of my knives has ever gotten the urge to stick up anyone or to stab anyone or do any other murder or mayhem. I better stay away from those dangerous English knives, I'd hate to have such murderous, self willed items in MY home... :shock: :o :roll:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

You guys do remember a tennis player was stabbed by a fan who ran out onto the court during a match about 10-15 years ago.

That's going to make match directors change policy so it doesn't happen on their watch. Wimbledon has probably had that policy in place since that day.

Similar to not being allowed to take box cutters on airplanes.

It would be a different story if Britain made it national law, but I think the tennis thing is reasonable in context.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

game keeper wrote:Yup, The sheeple in this third rate excuse for a country would vote for a world made of cotton wool ! :evil:
I'm not sure that would work out. The fibers could get stuck in between their teeth as they grovel, and cause a terrible gingival irritation.

:P
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Sobenk, I kinder don't agree. Britain as other lands today has developed a blame society as in nothing is your fault but somebody else's, this causes people to "pass the book". This is why here in Britain everthing gets banned. Murder is allready banned but it don't stop it so we have to do something so let's ban knives! This way nobody can acuse authorities of doing nothing and becoming to blame etc. The trouble is it chips at freedoms and heads to communism. At the end of the day society has a very sick element to it and it is only society having the ability to stamp on it there and then that'll do any good.
I think it should be mandertory that you can not get in Wimbledon unless you are carrying a knife or side arm! This way every body would be protected plus the female players would look so kewl with a blade or revolver strapped on their...........stop it :oops:
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath, I like the suggestion for mandatory arming at Wimbledon. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

where will it end?

oh, and don't forget the battle of brittan, dunkirk etc where the british fought evil ever so valiantly against all odds. i think some of the soldiers who fought and died there would roll over in thier graves if they knew what's going on.

:roll: :?
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, I agree it's probably only a "feel good" rule, and won't dissuade the real psychos, but I think it's reasonable under the circumstances.

In the US most stadiums prohibit bringing in bottles or cans, because fans would throw them at players on the field (plus you then have to buy their drinks at $5.87 per ounce). When I was a kid we brought in our own sodas and hot dogs. No more.

I'm not saying I'm happy about it, it complicates things if you carry a knife, for example. I had to go to jury duty last year and they went crazy over a wrench I had in my backpack, stuck in there for a bicycle ride and forgotten. I did leave my knives at home at least.

Next time the fans trample each other to death at a soccer game, you'll have to start leaving your shoes at home.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."