Can anyone tell me how Winchester takedowns work?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Can anyone tell me how Winchester takedowns work?

Post by cubrock »

I know you unscrew the magazine tube, but what after that? Do they pull apart, or do you have to turn them a certain way?
.........THE TWINS..........

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Can anyone tell me how Winchester takedowns work?

Post by Malamute »

After unscrewing the magazine tube and sliding it out a bit, open the action some, so the barrel doesnt bend or break the extractor, the barrel/magazine assembly then unscrews a quarter turn, then pulls out the front of the receiver. If you saw a picture of it, it would make perfect sense. The barrel and receiver threads are milled off in opposing sides to interupt the thread pattern, allowing it to come completely off with a quarter turn. The old Winchester takedowns had screws under the fore end that were able to adjust the tension if the assembly wore and got loose.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming it, but my gun still won't come apart. I guess it might be time for some penetrating oil....

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Well, I left something out.

Many old timers didnt know that there was a way to adjust the play when they got loose. I've seen them epoxied together, and heard of them being soldered and welded together. Hope yours cooperates. If the penetrating oil doesnt do it, it may be worth trying something like acetone that would eat epoxy.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Thanks. I'll give it a try! :)

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That would really be a downer if someone silver soldered it together. :shock:
Old Law Dawg
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"That would really be a downer if someone silver soldered it together. :shock: "

Yes, it would,...however, if it was soldered, it could be unsoldered. :D