Lets not wait for the NRA....

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Lets not wait for the NRA....

#1 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Sometimes GOA is faster and that can determine outcome.

https://gunowners.org/iastatealert19/

The GOA's strategy seems to be to prevent bad laws from being passed where sometimes the NRA waits until they are passed and challenges them.

Folks not living in Iowa can still blast McConnell and their own senators and urge them to stand firm.

https://gunowners.org/alert43019/

GOA makes it pretty easy because they link to and provide all the appropriate email addresses and so forth.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

BlaineG
Posting leader...

Re: Lets not wait for the NRA....

#2 Post by BlaineG » Wed May 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but GOA and letters to politicians only serve to preach to the choir. Usually. Dems are now voting lock-step, and RINOs can't be trusted. SAF just won three big ones, but they don't brag much about it. I thought they were worth a life membership in addition to life NRA.
If You Back Me Into A Corner There Will Not Be Enough Room For Both Of Us. :evil:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Lets not wait for the NRA....

#3 Post by AJMD429 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:51 pm

Agreed. I think it is a mistake to invest one's money or time only in any one of the pro-gun groups, because they differ in clout, aggressiveness, and tactics, and none of the groups can do it all.

Like you, I am a lifetime GOA member. I am also a member of SAF, and contribute to JPFO, CCRKBA, ILA, and other groups and parts of groups (the ILA & CCRKBA can do things legally that their parent/associated groups the NRA & SAF cannot).

I also think that it is a mistake to feel like writing letters to legislators is useless. If we accept that approach, then the only thing we can do if not enough pro gun non-RINO Republicans are elected, is to just curl up and wait for defeat. From my experience talking one-on-one with legislators plenty of times at the state level and a couple of times at the federal level, many of them do pay attention to what constituents say, and are swayable if they get enough volume of letters on a given issue. Sure, the completely anti-gun ones or not going to change their mind, but some of the more moderate ones might.

I've also found that the pro-gun ones appreciate hearing from pro-gun citizens because it reinforces the decision they may have already made to vote pro-gun, and also many times we can give them factual material they can use as 'intellectual ammunition' to try to sway some of their peers. As an examples the law review article I frequently post here by Don Kates exposing the fraud within the CDC and the medical literature on "gun violence' has been something legislators have told me they have reproduced, highlighted, and distributed to fellow legislators on numerous occasions). Often, legislators do a better job of swaying each other than the public can do, and if we can give them talking points or factual information they can use to that end, it can help our cause. It isn't that difficult, but if we don't take a few minutes to do that, maybe nobody else will, and that would be a shame, and something I'm sure the founders of our nation would be sorely disappointed in us for failing to do easy things to keep the republic that they worked so hard to establish.

I think most of us tend to also have a tendency to pursue the fantasy line of thought of 'what happens if the poop really hits the fan, and which gun would we want in our hand, and where would we go, and what we do to survive, or endure, or fight back against a police state...', and I think that is an entertaining exercise, and just like a self-defense scenario, could be a life-saving thing to have thought out in advance. However, if we truly value a stable society with safe streets, it is incumbent upon us to participate in the political situation right here and right now, no matter how frustrating or futile it may seem. It is just not that difficult to take a few minutes once a week to do that. Imagine if every gun owner just sent one letter a year to their legislators, much less one per week....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "