Permanent US Resident Challenges California Gun Laws

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Permanent US Resident Challenges California Gun Laws

#1 Post by FWiedner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Gun-rights groups are suing California’s Riverside County and its sheriff after a legal U.S. resident from the Netherlands, who has lived in the country for 35 years, says he was denied a concealed-carry permit on the grounds that he isn’t a U.S. citizen.

https://www.getzone.com/news-permanent- ... FLR94HNK1G

My take:

I am a fellow who believes that every American citizen has the right to keep and bear the arm of their choice and for whatever reason they choose to own that arm. That includes felons if they have paid their debt to society. I understand that the 'law' says something slightly different.

My personal struggle at not being hypocritical is that I believe that the several rights enumerated our "Bill of Right" should apply to all men, and not just U.S. citizens. The line in the sand that I hold is that of personal responsibility. A person who cannot behave responsibly using a firearm within their chosen community, must by necessity have that right attenuated according to their ability or lack thereof. That said, it's fairly straight-forward. Non U.S. citizens are non U.S. citizens.

A foreign national or even a person with dual-citizenship has a questionable loyalty to this nation. They have no ties and no concrete attachment to the American heritage. IMO long-term residence is insufficient to demonstrate one's loyalty as an 'American', because half the population that are borne citizens (note: not natural borne citizens) have a questionable loyalty toward this nation and our Constitution (Our law). We have enough domestic enemies wandering about without arming potentially hostile foreigners.

Perhaps it is an issue which should be addressed on a case-by-case basis.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

TANGO 4C
Levergunner

Re: Permanent US Resident Challenges California Gun Laws

#2 Post by TANGO 4C » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:04 pm

It's interesting that the same bloke, subject to meeting all other enlistment criteria, would have no problem in joining the US military.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

#3 Post by FWiedner » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm

Serving for a few years to earn the benefits of citizenship is a whole different school of thought than squatting for a few years and expecting those benefits just be made available.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:34 pm

FWiedner wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:47 pm
Serving for a few years to earn the benefits of citizenship is a whole different school of thought than squatting for a few years and expecting those benefits just be made available.
yep.....!
PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

AmBraCol
Webservant

#5 Post by AmBraCol » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm

As a long time resident of a couple of different countries, neither of which I'm a citizen of, I've a different perspective. What does "loyalty" have to do with it? He's not asking for permission to wage war on behalf of the nation - he's asking for permission to carry the means of defending innocent life. As a non-citizen in my current country of residence the obedience of laws which are disagreeable to me goes with the territory. Fortunately they recognize my right to obtain permission to possess the means to defend innocent life - to a degree. When the last resident of the executive mansion said "ALL carry permits are suspended", such order was duly noted and obeyed. The sole comment on my reaction to a similar situation in the land of my birth is - the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution carries more weight with loyal citizens than some bureaucrat's idea of a "safe space"...

Can you tell me why ANYONE who is a law abiding, life respecting person should be denied the right to possess and carry the means of defending innocent life, independent from that person's nationality or "loyalty"?
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com

BlaineG
Posting leader...

#6 Post by BlaineG » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:06 pm

AmBraCol wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:52 pm
As a long time resident of a couple of different countries, neither of which I'm a citizen of, I've a different perspective. What does "loyalty" have to do with it? He's not asking for permission to wage war on behalf of the nation - he's asking for permission to carry the means of defending innocent life. As a non-citizen in my current country of residence the obedience of laws which are disagreeable to me goes with the territory. Fortunately they recognize my right to obtain permission to possess the means to defend innocent life - to a degree. When the last resident of the executive mansion said "ALL carry permits are suspended", such order was duly noted and obeyed. The sole comment on my reaction to a similar situation in the land of my birth is - the 2nd Amendment to the US Constitution carries more weight with loyal citizens than some bureaucrat's idea of a "safe space"...

Can you tell me why ANYONE who is a law abiding, life respecting person should be denied the right to possess and carry the means of defending innocent life, independent from that person's nationality or "loyalty"?
This.
If You Back Me Into A Corner There Will Not Be Enough Room For Both Of Us. :evil:

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#7 Post by AJMD429 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:26 pm

True.

'Bill of Rights' level rights for non-citizens who are LEGALLY in the country seems reasonable. 'Rights' to vote, and all the other 'free stuff' rights would be reserved for citizens. Of course most of the 'wealth redistribution' entitlements shouldn't exist anyway.... :|
PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "