CCW ''good Samaritan' shot by cops...

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

CCW ''good Samaritan' shot by cops...

#1 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:29 am

PhotoSuckit Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

Ray
Levergunner 3.0

Re: CCW ''good Samaritan' shot by cops...

#2 Post by Ray » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:35 am

Sad and sickening....This could happen to any one of us....There is a prevalent attitude out there, especially in historically no-handgun jurisdictions, that there are only lawmen and criminals with handguns.....

In almost all 50 states so called campus police are fully sworn and certified state law enforcement civil servants but are often perceived by the public as only just contract security "rent a cops"..... this frustrates the university police to no end and they soon grow weary of having to explain and defend their jurisdictional bonifides....contacts with the public can quickly escalate to resisting arrest when a pedestrian takes umbrage at being handled and or elluding/evading when a motorist drives away..... their vehicles sometimes don't look quite official, often foreign compact sedans with blue lights but no markings....sometimes the uniforms look "security guard".....

in virgina in 2010 i was pulled over by a neon blue hyundai with flashing yellow lights that seemed to have "mall cop" written all over it....the uniform looked costume rental and the very dark man spoke with a thick central asian accent like you hear on marketing phone calls.....he was the real deal though and had quite a chip on his shoulder(s).....i had all of my papers in order apparently so i never knew why the contact was made.....
Fighting the rampant and virulent social aberration of tactitardism - one (and sometimes two) patched round ball(s) at a time....

BlaineG
Posting leader...

#3 Post by BlaineG » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:45 pm

I'm very cooperative with uniformed persons with guns. :idea: As should everybody. :idea: This is a lesson for good holster retention and for NOT reaching for a weapon when cops are present. I suppose you've noticed that cops have a bullseye on them these days with BLM, ANTIFA and Anarchists declaring war on them and being vocal about wanting to kill them. Cops have no idea who you are or your intentions.
“I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.”
― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 pm

"There is a prevalent attitude out there, especially in historically no-handgun jurisdictions, that there are only lawmen and criminals with handguns....."

Yep; those cops/mayors/citizen-review-boards need to remember that in THIS country, the citizens give cops [limited, defined, revokable] permission to carry guns, and NOT the reverse. All GOOD cops know the law, know the Constitution, and KNOW John Q. Citizen actually has MORE right to carry a gun than they do. Being a LEO is a VERY difficult job, in that they have all sorts of things to react to, at lightening-speed, with mayors, lawyers, supervisors, and the 'media' looking over their shoulder at all times. HOWEVER that in no way absolves them of the responsibility NOT to kill a human being unless clearly necessary.

"This is a lesson for good holster retention and for NOT reaching for a weapon when cops are present. . . . . Cops have no idea who you are or your intentions."

Yep, on both counts. However the CCW'er could hardly be expected to know cops were there in the midst of a fight, and legitimately would fear losing control of his weapon to an irrational violent person. A COP would have done the same thing (quickly retrieve weapon and secure it), but would not have been shot since he had a uniform... :roll: A QUALIFIED (which I'm not) review board, viewing ALL the evidence, needs to pass judgement.

My reason for posting was mostly cautionary.....use a secure holster.....for all sorts of reasons.....!

And carefully consider any 'Good Samaritan' acts beforehand.....!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

#5 Post by JerryB » Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Doc AJ, you are right again about this. But how could we not react quick when we see something happen that we might be able to help some one .I think most of us would not take to much time deciding what to do, and then we might pay a high price for it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15

guido4198
Levergunner 3.0

#6 Post by guido4198 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:30 am

Without wanting to appear that I'm in ANY WAY trying to diminish the incredible difficulty faced by law enforcement, the few facts that we have in this case are:
Mr. Washington was unarmed when shot in the back by the officers.
Pretty hard to make the case that they fired to protect themselves, or another from death or grievous bodily injury.
What is the rest of the story...??
Did Mr. Washington even know they (law enforcement) were there..??
Did the officers provide clear verbal commands to the suspects, or did they just see a gun and start shooting.??

Deaf Smith
Levergunner

#7 Post by Deaf Smith » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:48 pm

You need to read what John Farnam has to say about this. It's in his Quips.

http://defense-training.com/quips/

Short version... don't interfere in other people's business and keep your gun secure on yourself so it does not drop out on the ground.

Deaf

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#8 Post by AJMD429 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:37 pm

Yeah, and unfortunately, sometimes no matter how 'right' your actions are, the consequences can be deadly.

One sure HOPES the dudes who were fighting were worth that kind of sacrifice, but I'm not gonna bet on that. :roll:

I doubt I'd intervene in a fight between adults if it looked like they BOTH wanted to fight; let 'em have at it and the winner pays court costs and medical bills. :D

A one-sided ambush/rape/assault/robbery might tempt me to assist the victim though (I did so waaay back in my youth, and fortunately even though I 'displayed' my gun [a Ruger Super Blackhawk :twisted: ] no shots needed to be fired, and the woman being beaten got away).

Ray
Levergunner 3.0

#9 Post by Ray » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:42 am

"MAN WITH A GUN"....It seems that enroute to this bar disturbance call a voice on their (the campus police) radio mentions a man with a gun.....

Then there was a man with a gun.....

There is an immediate lesson for us all in this......Don't be the man with the (visible) gun !....For more reasons than being shot by police.....In my neck of the woods, an estimated one in three men and one in five women carry a concealed handgun on a daily basis.....many of the dudes, young and old, seem to be champing the bit to see the elephant....When shots are fired (or an automobile backfires) or some hysterical heifer screams "HE HAS A GUN !" then is not the time to get all tactitard.

Again, there is the fact of campus police being involved.....in three quarters of our fair land, that is to say where the gun culture is normal, city police and county deputies and state highway patrolmen and obviously game wardens all see guns, long and short, often in the course of their duties but don't necessarily go to condition red or even draw their sidearm.....a university cop always gets deadly serious in the presence of a gun due to the historic on-campus prohibitions.....
Fighting the rampant and virulent social aberration of tactitardism - one (and sometimes two) patched round ball(s) at a time....