Quotes of the Week

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
Ysabel Kid

Quotes of the Week

#1 Post by Ysabel Kid » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:40 am

For years (well over a decade) I have copied mostly historic quotes off the daily issues from the Patriot Post to save for my kids. Often times these would be our dinner discussion topics. I still do though Y2K is off at college and my daughter, now in high school and on the swim team, is often not home for dinner (nor am I, for that matter). I've shared these before, and will try to do so more frequently. These were the best from last week's daily editions and various columnists articles ("best" as in what spoke to me; opinions may vary!).

“Democracy will soon degenerate into an anarchy, such an anarchy that every man will do what is right in his own eyes and no man's life or property or reputation or liberty will be secure, and every one of these will soon mould itself into a system of subordination of all the moral virtues and intellectual abilities, all the powers of wealth, beauty, wit and science, to the wanton pleasures, the capricious will, and the execrable cruelty of one or a very few.” — John Adams (1763)

"Constant experience shows us that every man invested with power is apt to abuse it, and to carry his authority as far as it will go." — Charles-Louis de Secondat (1689-1755)

"The internal effects of a mutable policy are still more calamitous. It poisons the blessing of liberty itself. It will be of little avail to the people, that the laws are made by men of their own choice..." — James Madison (1788)

"The principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale." — Thomas Jefferson (1816)

"The greatest danger to liberty today comes from the men who are most needed and most powerful in modern government, namely, the efficient expert administrators exclusively concerned with what they regard as the public good." — Friedrich August von Hayek (1899-1992)

"We disagree with those who would label efforts to control immigration as being inherently anti-immigrant. It is both a right and responsibility for a democratic society to manage immigration so it serves the national interest.... Unless this country does a better job in curbing illegal immigration, we risk irreparably undermining our commitment to legal immigration." --Barbara Jordan (who chaired Bill Clinton's Commission on Immigration Reform; yes, even a stopped clock is right twice a day!)