I went and bought a 9mm.....

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
Bridger
Levergunner 2.0

I went and bought a 9mm.....

#1 Post by Bridger » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm

It's unusual for me to buy anything that isn't a revolver, as far as handguns go, but darn it I was in a local toy store today and found a Ruger p89 in 9mm for $240 otd. It's stainless, and in good shape. For that price I didn't feel like I could pass it up, and it had sat quite a while so the shop owner was ready to get rid of it. Not that I really wanted a 9mm semi, but A) my dad has one and really likes it for a truck gun B) it's a Ruger so tough as nails and C) I figure the government really hates these semi's that can accept a high capacity magazine, and that is reason enough by itself to buy one in my book.
Any of you guys shoot a P89???
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill

Ray
Senior Levergunner

Re: I went and bought a 9mm.....

#2 Post by Ray » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Got a p-95 9mm that uses the same mags. (p-85) but this one has the plastic frame. Kind of bulky compared to their peers but great shooters.
m.A.g.a. !

Blaine
Posting leader...

#3 Post by Blaine » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:59 am

A few years ago, I got a Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 9mm....dandy little shooter, but nearly impossible to load the mag completely without using an UpLula.
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 am

I had a P-85 for years, and got a Ruger 9mm carbine that shared magazines.

Then I got a Glock 9mm, and wound up trading the two Rugers for a KelTec :shock: Sub-2000 that shared Glock magazines.

I came close to trading to get the newer takedown Ruger 9mm carbine that also accepts Glock magazines, but couldn't justify the cost for a 'truck' gun, and I've grown to like the KelTec.

Anyhow, for the 30 years I had the Ruger P-85, it was, like all Rugers I've owned, reliable and sturdy. I doubt you'd be disappointed in any of that pistol series.

I never liked the 'push-forward' safety though, and for the same reason instead of having a Beretta 92, I got the Taurus 92, with its "1911-style' push-down safety.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

piller
Advanced Levergunner

#5 Post by piller » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:55 am

I still have a P85. I once bought some Houston Cartridge Company rounds at a gun show. I was using them in the Ruger and didn't notice anything. My daughter put them in her Kahr and it came apart. Kahr fixed it. After that, I pulled what I had left of those rounds. Kahr said that they were higher pressure than proof rounds. The P85 didn't even notice the difference. I did add some better sights to it about a year ago. That old gun is still as tight and functional as the day I bought it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Tactical Lever
Levergunner 2.0

#6 Post by Tactical Lever » Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Had a P89. It was a really slick gun. Shouldn't have sold it, but did because I thought it was a big bulky gun for 9mm, and I didn't care to get used to the little bit of take up on the trigger.
Profanity is a poor substitute for a proper education.

Ysabel Kid

#7 Post by Ysabel Kid » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:02 pm

Bridger wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:21 pm
C) I figure the government really hates these semi's that can accept a high capacity magazine, and that is reason enough by itself to buy one in my book.
Bingo! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: