Why 'democracy' is bad...

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Why 'democracy' is bad...

#1 Post by AJMD429 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Of course our nation's founders understood this well, but is seems to be a lesson we've forgotten...

https://mises.org/wire/abortion-circumc ... s-majority
Image Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Why 'democracy' is bad...

#2 Post by Rusty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Democracy equal mob rule. That's never a good thing. That's why we are a Representative Republic with laws that regulate the representatives.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.

FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

#3 Post by FWiedner » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 pm

A drift toward "Democracy" in Republican government is bad, but a democratic process is good.

Using the example from the article regarding an attempt to outlaw the circumcision of male children; In a free nation there must be an allowance for those small differences regarding issues of ethnic heritage, so long as those differences do no harm to the individuals subject to them. There are valid reasons for the circumcision of male infants. That one ethnicity would choose to practice ritual circumcision is not really the concern of another until harm, e.g. mutilation or death is a resulting issue. Is the issue of "circumcision of female children of certain religious beliefs the same issue? I believe that is a decision for medical professionals.

I strongly disagree with the conclusion proposed in the article, that expecting a minority 'nation" within a nation's larger population to normalize or assimilate is "subjugation". I'd address this with direct reference to the issue of immigration.

People have a right to differences of opinion. People have a right to observe longstanding and peaceful religious and cultural tradition, but I stand by the famous quote by Theodore Roosevelt:

“In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American … There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.” Theodore Roosevelt 1907

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#4 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:20 am

One of the few things I agree with Roosevelt on....!

And yes, I think a democratic process is good, as long as it is constrained by a Constitution (particularly a libertarian sort of one like ours), so the foolishness of the mob can't cause much permanent harm.

Sadly, I'll bet 95% of the electorate thinks we live in a 'democracy', and wouldn't know what a 'constitutional republic' even is, much less which is better and why. (...if they made me Boss, is not let a high school diploma be issued to someone who couldn't explain the difference... :| )

Democracy might be a good way to figure out what mix of donuts to order for the office, but something binary like circumcision is either done or not done; if 42% of the population is ok with it you can't really make everyone have 42% of the skin off and make everyone happy... :shock:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

piller
Advanced Levergunner

#5 Post by piller » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am

The Democrat Party changed its name to the Democratic Party to fool the idiots who don't know the language well enough to know the difference. Why do the people who type the words that the talking heads on TV spew out always use democratic for everything? It is to convince the lowest information voters that the Democratick Party is the only one which gets anything done.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost

Ysabel Kid

#6 Post by Ysabel Kid » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm
Democracy equal mob rule. That's never a good thing. That's why we are a Representative Republic with laws that regulate the representatives.
Absolutely spot on Rusty! The founders despised pure democracy. They understood that majority rule untempeted always attacks and destroys minority/individual rights. They also know that there has never been a democracy that didn't consume itself...

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#7 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:16 pm

Rusty wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:45 pm
It is always interesting to watch the reaction of Democrats when I use the example of 51 KKK members and 49 Afro Americans voting on what to do with some extra rope. If you believe in 'democracy' than evidently you are........"a r-a-a-a-c-ist" :lol: :roll: