Living in a Sheltered Bubble of Ignorance and Fear

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: Hobie, AmBraCol

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Living in a Sheltered Bubble of Ignorance and Fear

#1 Post by AJMD429 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:27 pm

I have been interviewing nurses and nurse practitioners and other medical personnel for several months, in addition to the usual interaction with drug reps and pharmacists. Often tangential current events topics come up, including 'guns'.

So far, NOT ONE has been 'anti-gun', and several have told me they CCW, built their own AR's, or otherwise are very 'pro-gun'. The same goes for most people I encounter, actually, including law enforcement officers, medics, teachers, self-employed and small business owners, and factory workers of all types.

But......I know full well that in many areas of the U.S. it would be the opposite.

What astounds me is the number of coastal urban liberals who are embedded in academia or administration of big corporations, who have NO CLUE how the MAJORITY of those of us in flyover country live or think. If they even acknowledge the 'pro-gun' sentiment of middle America, they just write it off as a few uneducated hicks who like to get drunk, beat our wives, then go hold up a liquor store or shoot road-signs. They have no clue as to the collective achievements, intelligence, and social contributions of all the 'gun nuts' they write off as riff-raff.

Yes, we know how they think (and can dissect and refute their I'll-informed and ignorant policy ideas using real-world data from both domestic and worldwide experience, in either historical or contemporary context, and back it up with solid facts regarding firearms function, ballitics, and criminology).

All they can do is regurgitate Brady talking-points, or say things like "Well, I don't know anything about [insert any type of gun], and I've never really been around them, or around people who do know about them, BUT I emphatically think that [insert ridiculous, dangerous, counterproductive policy here]."

Or the "I spent the day at my grandpa's farm 50 years ago, and he had a gun [so that somehow makes me an expert and gives weight to my asinine and I'll-informed prattling]...".

My favorite is the ER doc who has seen gunshot wounds first-hand.....Wow...!!! - does that embed his opinion with awesome intellect, or what...??....almost like if some deer hunter says his buddy has hypertension, so we should head HIS advice on medical management of diastolic dysfunction.... :lol:

They would short-circuit their narrow little minds if they met the black kindergarten teacher I know who likes to compete along with her handicapped daughter, using a high-powered ('er I mean "sniper") rifle, or the Chinese immigrant ballet teacher I know who was at Tiananmen Square as a college kid, and likes to come out to my house and shoot her AR-15, or the transgender cleaning woman who carries a Glock....!

Nope; to the LibTards, gun owners are all just evil fools who are willing to allow the streets to be dangerous just so we don't have to be inconvenienced when it comes to our violent hobby.

.....and yet they think WE are the ones who have had sheltered lives, lacking cross-cultural awareness and 'tolerance'.... :roll: :lol:
Image Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

piller
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Living in a Sheltered Bubble of Ignorance and Fear

#2 Post by piller » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:04 am

Doc, I would be surprised if there are not a lot more with similar experiences to yours than otherwise in the states which went for Trump/against Hillary. As far as the cleaning person, in the Dallas area we are more likely to let others live their lives as they wish as long as they don't try to shove it in the face of everyone else. There are a few bigots around, just as there are anywhere else. Oddly enough, SMU sits in one of the more liberal areas of Dallas and it is one of the areas which is least accepting of people like you and me and the others on leverguns. Maybe it is not all that odd after all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost