FS in CA: used books/gun mags for your winter reading

The place to post items FOR SALE, WANTED TO BUY, WANTED TO TRADE, or AUCTION ALERTS.

Moderators: Hobie, rjohns94

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

FS in CA: used books/gun mags for your winter reading

#1 Post by Mike Armstrong » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:30 pm

WTS: used books on US history, military history, outdoor sports and adventures, and some recent gun magazines. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I don't do PayPal or Applepay or any credit cards or other payment services. I DO TAKE cash, personal checks made out to me, and money orders made out to me. I try hard to ship the next mail day after I get payment.

TAKE $1 OFF THE COST OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS OR MAGAZINES THAT YOU PURCHASE AFTER THE FIRST ONE! I get a little break on shipping multi-book orders, so I kick a little back to you.

The only way to reserve a book or books is to put an "I'll take book(s) #s_____" ON THIS THREAD. Then I'll mark the book sold on the ad, acknowledge your order on the thread, and send you a PM with my "legal" name (real first name) and address for payment.

Please make any remarks, questions, or offers by PM, NOT on this thread. I'll try to answer all of them ASAP.

US Military History

1) SPF "Civil War Battles" by Curt Johnson and Mark McLaughlin.

2) SPF"The Flying Tigers: The Untold Story of the American Pilots Who Waged a Secret War Against Japan" by Sam Kleiner.

3) SPF"In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the USS Indianapolis and the Story of Her Survivors" by Doug Stanton.

4) SPF"The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sager.

5) SPF "The Coldest Winter" by David Halberstam,

6) "The Day the Chinese Attacked: Korea 1950" by Edwin P. Hoyt. Prize-winning military historian and Korean War combat journalist details the events in Chinese and American politics that led to the Chinese "intervention" on behalf of the North Korean communists, the military reverses that befell the hitherto victorious US and UN forces, and the immense cost to the Chinese. Quality PB 250 pp. illus w/b/w photos and maps. $6

American History

7) SPF "Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America" by Eric Jay Dolan.

8) "Coal Was King: Huerfano County's Mining History" by Nancy Christopherson. Major coal mining operations began around 1895 and continued thru the Great Depression in this Colorado county. This local history covers the eight coal mining regions in the county, labor movements and violence including the "La Veta Massacre" and Ludlow strikes. Softbound 115 pp. new cond. illus w/historic b/w photos, seven maps, and appendix and index. $4

9) SPF "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey" by Candace Millard.

10) "The Book of Honor: The Secret Lives and Deaths of CIA Operatives" by Ted Gup. The stories behind some of the many stars on the "Wall of Honor" in Langley, VA. How the "Clandestine Service" works and has worked the world over. Gup was an investigative reporter for the "Washington Post" for many years. PB 400 pp. exc. reading cond. illus w/b/w photos. $5

Outdoor Sports topics

11) "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" by Patrick McManus ("The Grasshopper Trap"). McManus madness: essays on hunting and fishing that poke fun at himself and the rest of us. A master of the kinds of tales we all tell on each other (after we get home safe). New cond PB 221 pp. $5

12) SPF "Dickerson: the Man and His Rods" by Gerald S. Stein, MD and James W. Schoof.

13) SPF "The Curtis Creek Manifesto: A Fully-Illustrated Guide to the Strategies, Finesse, Tactics, and Paraphernalia of Fly Fishing" written and illustrated by Sheridan Anderson.

14) "Amazing Whitetails" by Mike Biggs. North American Hunting Club's volume on hunting braggin' size whitetails. Full of beautiful color photos of deer at every stage of their development from spots to RACKS. Text focuses on mature whitetail buck behavior. "Antler Alley" section illustrates antler forms and some HUGE bucks, mainly alive and on the hoof in the woods. HB 192 pp. new cond 8 1/2 x 11" format illus w/many b/w and color photos, trophy scoring explanations and charts. $6

15) "H is for Hawk" by Helen MacDonald. Prize-winning account of how an accomplished falconer, grief-stricken by the sudden death of her father, takes on the challenge of training a goshawk to hunt with her--a wild woman wants to hunt with the wildest of hawks (see Steven Bodio's descriptions of goshawks as "trainable"....). HB 300 pp. exc/new cond. $6

Outdoors Nature topics

16) "Desert Journal: Reflections of a Naturalist" by Raymond Cowles. Cowles, an emigrant to California from South Africa, was a famous student of CA desert environments, especially the adaptations that desert animals made to survive extremes of cold, heat, and drought. Lots of reptile info here of course, but great word pictures of the "not-emptiness" of the deserts, too! Quality PB (U. CA Press) new condition illus w/b/w and color photos and maps. $5

17) "End of the Spear" by Steve Saint. Medical missionary's son returns to Amazonian Ecuador with his family decades after his father's murder by the Auca tribesmen he was assisting. Saint is faced with the challenge of teaching these people how to survive in an encroaching modern world, and with some success and mutual affection and respect, leaves them to it. HB 338 pp. new cond. illus w/b/w and color photos. $5

18) SPF"Forest Cats of North America" by Jerry Kobalenko.

19) SPF"The Cougar: Beautiful, Wild, and Dangerous" by Paula Wild.

20) SPF"Horse" by Juliett Clutton-Brock.

Gun Magazines

21) A BUNCH of gun, hunting, and outdoors reading--10 gun and outdoors magazines full of stories, tech articles, gun history, and handloading data:

2 "Rifles" #297 (March 2018) and 303 (March 2019)
2 "Handloaders" #321 (Aug 2019) and 264 (Feb 2010)
2 "Sports Afield" May-June 2018 and Sept-Oct 2019
1 "American Rifleman" Sept 2017
1 "Gun Digest Magazine" Oct 2019
2 "American Handgunners" Jan-Feb 2018 and Nov-Dec 2017

Guaranteed to keep you busy thru the longest blizzard! All ten shipped to your CONUS address in a Priority Mail envelope for $18

Thanks for reading my long post!

Have a great Christmas and a happy New Year and don't forget to take $1 off each or any book you order after the first one (includes magazines).

Mike Armstrong
Last edited by Mike Armstrong on Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: FS in CA: used books/gun mags for your winter reading

#2 Post by vancelw » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:31 pm

I'll take 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 18, 19 and 20

Yer killin' me :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

#3 Post by Mike Armstrong » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:17 pm

Books #s 1,2,3,4,5,7.9.18.19 and 20 SPF to vancelw. Thanks for buying my books again!

PM ASAP.

Mike Armstrong

RobertS
Levergunner

#4 Post by RobertS » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I'll take 12 and 13 please! I'll send a PM to you as well.

RobertS

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

#5 Post by Mike Armstrong » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:40 pm

Books #s 12 and 13 SPF to RobertS. Thanks for buying! PM on the way.