Some late summer reading--Used books for sale in CA

The place to post items FOR SALE, WANTED TO BUY, WANTED TO TRADE, or AUCTION ALERTS.

Moderators: Hobie, rjohns94

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

Some late summer reading--Used books for sale in CA

#1 Post by Mike Armstrong » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:17 pm

WTS: used books on US history and outdoor topics. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

How to order: if you want to reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take book #____" as a "response" to this thread. Then I'll respond acknowledging your order, mark the books sold (SPF) on the ad, and send you a PM with my "legal" (first) name and address for payment. I accept cash, MOs of all sorts, and personal checks made out to my "legal" name. I DON'T do PayPal, credit cards, or auto payments like Applepay. I try to ship the next mail day after I get your payment.

Please use PMs for any questions or comments or offers you have for me, not the ad thread itself. PMs won't work for actual orders--you need to make those on this thread, as above.

US history topics

1) SPF "Boone: An Autobiography" by Robert Morgan.
2) SPF "Those Tremendous Mountains: The Story of the Lewis and Clark Expedition" by David Freeman Hawke.

3) SPF "Grant Moves South" by Bruce Catton.

4) SPF "The M-4 Sherman at War: ETO 1942-45" by Steven Zaloga.

5 )SPF "Sea of Thunder: Four Commanders and the Last Great Naval Campaign, 1941-45" by Evan Thomas.

6) SPF "A Special Valor: the US Marines in the Pacific War" by Richard Wheeler.

7) SPF "Wake Island: The Heroic, Gallant Fight" by Duane Shultz.

8) SPF "A Dawn Like Thunder: the True Story of Torpedo Squadron Eight" by Robert J. Mrazek.

9) SPF "Secret War" bY Billy G. Webb.

Outdoor and wildlife titles

10) SPF "Dirt Work: An Education in the Woods" by Christine Byl.

11) "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. Classic account of a 2100 mile "walk" on the Appalachian Trail in the 1970s when you could be actually alone in the woods--before we were "all connected"! Humorous like all Bryson's writing, but revealing of the people, places, and critters he met. Trade PB 275 pp exc. cond. illus w/maps $5

12) "Amazing Whitetails" by Mike Biggs. North American Hunting Club's volume on hunting braggin' size whitetails. Full of beautiful color photos of deer at every stage of their development from spots to harem kings. Text focuses on mature whitetail buck behavior. "Antler Alley" section illustrates antler forms and some huge bucks, mainly alive and on the hoof in the woods! HB 192 pp new cond. 8 1/2x11" format illus w/many b/w and color photos, trophy scoring charts $6

13) SPF "God's Dog, The North American Coyote" by Hope Rydan. I

14) "Horse" by Juliett Clutton-Brock. I guess you can already guess that this book was written in Olde Blighty....but in spite of that, this volume of the excellent British "Eyewitness" series covers the evolution, behavior, and important roles in human history played by horses, ponies, mules and donkeys. A beautiful book that is FULL of clear, attractive full-color illustrations of horses and their relatives, tack and gear, horse drawn vehicles, horse anatomy, breeds of horses and ponies, styles of sport and work riding, etc. A great--and fun--family reference. HB 64 pp. 8 1/2x11" format near new cond w/100s of color illustrations $6

15) "H is for Hawk" by Helen Macdonald. Experienced British falconer reacts to her father's death partly by accepting the notorious challenge of taming and training a goshawk, the wildest of a wild breed (Steven Bodio simply calls them "crazy"). What she learns and experiences of this wild nature (and her own) in the process. HB 298 pp. new cond. $6

16) "The Darwin Awards: Survival of the Fittest" by Wendy Northcutt. Speaking of crazy, this best-selling collection of true stories "commemorating individuals who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it" does have some CRAZY crazy! Dummies who "die trying"! For example, the beer-soaked Californian who stuck his tongue out at a rattler "because he kept sticking his tongue out at me!" (Yes, he died). HB 265 pp. new cond. illus w/cartoons illustrating some of the "award-winning" stunts. $6

17) SPF "Indian Artifacts" by Virgil Russell.

18) "Worley and Woomera:" Aboriginal Life and Crafts" by Janet Matthews w/original illustrations by Walter Stackpool. A detailed intro to the material and other cultural aspects of Australian aboriginal peoples--their family lives, hunting and gathering, warfare and magic, music and dance and religious beliefs and practices. But the primary focus is on the material culture, including all the tools and weapons they used getting their sustenance and protecting their hunting and gathering lands. Covers all the weapons they used in place of the bow and arrow, which hadn't yet been invented in Australia, including spears, the spear thrower or "woomera," and the deadly non-return boomerangs used in hunting and war (the return ones were mostly toys). Richly illustrated with origianl drawings showing the manufacture of tools and weapons an their use in hunting and battle (kiddy alert--these folks didn't have much use for clothes!). HB (Natl. Library of Australia) 128 pp. 8 1/2x11" format exc. cond. illus w/ink drawings. $7

19) SPF "Shadow Divers: Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of WWII" by Robert Kurson.

20) SPF "See You in a Hundred Years: Four Seasons in Forgotten America" by Logan Ward.

Thanks for reading my LOOOOONG post! Hope you had a great Labor Day weekend and are safe from the weather! DONT FORGET TO TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS THAT YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE!

Mike Armstrong
Last edited by Mike Armstrong on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

PaperPatch
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Some late summer reading--Used books for sale in CA

#2 Post by PaperPatch » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:21 pm

I'll take #2 and #3
:wink:

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

#3 Post by Mike Armstrong » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:42 pm

Books #2 and #3 SPF to paperpatch. Thanks for buying! PM on the way to you.

Mike Armstrong

pshort
Levergunner 3.0

#4 Post by pshort » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Hi,
I'll take 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 19.......

PM w/details.....

Thanks,

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"

AJMD429
Posting leader...

#5 Post by AJMD429 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:00 pm

I'll take #1, #10, & #20....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

#6 Post by Mike Armstrong » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:37 am

Books #s 4,5,6,7,8,9, and 19 SPF to pshort.

Books #s 1,10, and 20 SPF to AJMD429.

Thanks for buying, guys!

PMs to you both ASAP.

Mike Armstrong

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

#7 Post by vancelw » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am

I'll take 13 and 17. If the deal falls through on 1 and 6 I'll take them, too.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle

Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 2.0

#8 Post by Mike Armstrong » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:24 am

Books 13 and 17 SPF to vancelw. Thanks for buying my books again! PM on the way.

Mike Armstrong